Do you REALLY need training for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat84

Reaction score
I have bought all the CND Shellac products and 'real' uv lamp myself and have been practising on friends and family.

I have had no problem with it and have no training or certificates, i feel confident with it but is it necessary to do this??

I have learnt from reading up on Shellac and watching lots of youtube videos.

I am due to start Level 2 Certificate in Nail Technology this coming September.

Any advice or info appreciated?

Kate :)

If you want to work on paying clients then you'll need a certificate as you won't be insured. If you're enjoying shellacing then you'll probably enjoy your course so you've nothing to lose! Good luck with it.

If you want to work on paying clients then you'll need a certificate as you won't be insured. If you're enjoying shellacing then you'll probably enjoy your course so you've nothing to lose! Good luck with it.

I think this needs to be clarified as I wasn't under the impression you have to have a shellac certificate to be insured and use on paying clients, a Mani cert yes but not sure on a shellac cert. Maybe a shellac geek can clarify this xx

How on earth did you get CND products without being qualified?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I'm a little confused, are you qualified in nails at all? If not then you certainly shouldn't be doing this at all and need training right away, also you won't get insurance as stated above.

If you mean that you're trained in nails but not Shellac, I would suggest doing it anyway. It's not expensive and you'll learn a lot. It may seem simple and you can watch videos on how to do it but it's not the same. You'll learnt a lot of what not to do and it's interesting to hear other people's queries on the subject.

The only reason I asked is that you have to be trained to get Cnd products, other brands are hard enough to get when your training. I just think whoever sold CND products to an untrained person shouldn't be selling.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Thanks for replies.

You dont need a certificate to buy shellac i bought a few colours from the USA.

There is no need for the 'utter' shock over the fact i have managed to buy it without a certificate. its not a difficult procedure to learn!! Alls i asked for was peoples advice on this.

I always practiced on myself before doing anyone elses. Everyone i have practiced on has had their shellac on for 2 weeks and been very pleased with the result. Im certainly not charging for it.

I have done a nail course yes. But i start a new one in September after this i will be moving onto NVQ 3.

Where have any of you done training and how much is it?

I found the training very helpful, it is worth doing... but you do have to be manicure trained first.

Hi i would really go for the shellac training i did it and picked up loads of tips. Well worth doing the training hun x

I found the training very helpful, it is worth doing... but you do have to be manicure trained first.

Thanks hun where did you do yours? i live in the North West

Sweetsquared, who are the UK distributors of all CND products, offer the training at various locations around the UK. You have to be registered with them to buy and train, and this means that you have to provide proof of your manicure qualification. If you have training in nails, this won't be a problem - just send them a copy of your certificate.

Why do they insist on training before using the products? You ensure the health of the user and the client. Without training, you don't know the proper hygiene, contra-actions and contra-indications.

I can't recommend buying from any place other than an official distributor. On this site, we have seen that while the unofficial places may be selling actual Shellac products, they will have been diverted and so are illegal products, but they may just as easily be fake products which could affect your health.

Hi.. The training cost me last September £xx, if you call Sweet Squared they can let you know your mearest trainer, its def worth doing and its always nice to display a certificate afterwards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweetsquared, who are the UK distributors of all CND products, offer the training at various locations around the UK. You have to be registered with them to buy and train, and this means that you have to provide proof of your manicure qualification. If you have training in nails, this won't be a problem - just send them a copy of your certificate.

Why do they insist on training before using the products? You ensure the health of the user and the client. Without training, you don't know the proper hygiene, contra-actions and contra-indications.

I can't recommend buying from any place other than an official distributor. On this site, we have seen that while the unofficial places may be selling actual Shellac products, they will have been diverted and so are illegal products, but they may just as easily be fake products which could affect your health.

Thanks for the advice, i will definately train to use it. Although i feel quite happy without training. But i understand where you are coming from. I have spent a fortune on the products so i certainly do intend to charge customers when i have my certificates and insurance. :)

I think this needs to be clarified as I wasn't under the impression you have to have a shellac certificate to be insured and use on paying clients, a Mani cert yes but not sure on a shellac cert. Maybe a shellac geek can clarify this xx

Sorry for the confusion! I read it that the original poster wasn't doing her Level 2 nail training until September so was pointing out she might not be insured.

Back to the original question - I found the training really useful and am glad I did it. Shellac is fab isn't it!

Last edited:
Thanks hun where did you do yours? i live in the North West

I'm in the south east and did mine in Sittingbourne. I went onto Sweetsquared and looked through the list of official CND centres and picked the nearest - it was £xx as I did the 1-2-1 session and took my own model. If you haven't registered with s2/CND you can take a copy of your manicure certificate with you on the day :)

Hope that helps x

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably get pounced on for saying this but I agree with the OP, I dont think you need training for a lot of these beauty treatments, it can all be self taught nowdays with the help of google and youtube (I'm not saying thats what people should do, just that its possible).

As for the health side of it, its basic hygiene and common sense (again that can be self taught with the help of the internet), its not like anyone is cutting their clients open with a scalpel!

I have read quite a few posts from people who have had their training but don't seem to know anymore than I do, I am waiting to do mine but in mean time I am reading up all I can on the internet.

"practise" makes perfect and builds confidence, not a one day training course.

Having said all that, I DO agree that you should not be doing anything on clients uninsured and to get that you need the cert so need the training.

*runs for cover* :rolleyes:

If you can polish nails to a high standard and also know the technology behind gels then I dont think you NEED the Shellac training.

We have had people on here who have just gone out and bought Shellac and used it then asked why it is still tacky - did you cure it in the lamp? What lamp?

Also we have had people ask, why is my Shellac still sticky, did you remove the sticky layer after curing - oh didnt know I needed to do that.

So to answer the original question, no you dont really NEED the Shellac training provided you have proper knowledge. All training is good as you learn little nuances that you wont learn by Googling or you tubing!

Also to the OP - be very careful if you have bought your lamp from the USA as the electricity ratings are different and we already had one girl who did this and blew her lamp up and had to buy another one.

Yet another reason to buy from the correct and official sources!

Thanks for replies.

You dont need a certificate to buy shellac i bought a few colours from the USA.

There is no need for the 'utter' shock over the fact i have managed to buy it without a certificate. its not a difficult procedure to learn!! Alls i asked for was peoples advice on this.

I always practiced on myself before doing anyone elses. Everyone i have practiced on has had their shellac on for 2 weeks and been very pleased with the result. Im certainly not charging for it.

I have done a nail course yes. But i start a new one in September after this i will be moving onto NVQ 3.

Where have any of you done training and how much is it?

Honey, if your doing it on friends and family and they give u some money or buy u a drink its fine aslong as they know your not insured and your not advertising!
You won't be put in jail for doing nails without a certificate!!!! Lol

If I was you id do the course this summer if you can, then you can buy all products and you will have more knowledge for sept when you go back to college!
Any course you do is good as all products are so different! I did my nvq at college and then having done training with opi, Jessica and bio sculpture nails!

Good luck honey! X

I'll probably get pounced on for saying this but I agree with the OP, I dont think you need training for a lot of these beauty treatments, it can all be self taught nowdays with the help of google and youtube (I'm not saying thats what people should do, just that its possible).

As for the health side of it, its basic hygiene and common sense (again that can be self taught with the help of the internet), its not like anyone is cutting their clients open with a scalpel!

I have read quite a few posts from people who have had their training but don't seem to know anymore than I do, I am waiting to do mine but in mean time I am reading up all I can on the internet.

"practise" makes perfect and builds confidence, not a one day training course.

Having said all that, I DO agree that you should not be doing anything on clients uninsured and to get that you need the cert so need the training.

*runs for cover* :rolleyes:
It's training that tells you when you can and can't treat a client. It's training that tells you how to avoid any problems arising and how to deal with those problems if they do arise. It's training that informs you of the structure of a healthy nail.

It could be argued that you don't need this information in the case of many clients, but I would say you need this information when dealing with any client to ensure they are safe, healthy and happy with their treatment.

It's training that tells you when you can and can't treat a client. It's training that tells you how to avoid any problems arising and how to deal with those problems if they do arise. It's training that informs you of the structure of a healthy nail.

It could be argued that you don't need this information in the case of many clients, but I would say you need this information when dealing with any client to ensure they are safe, healthy and happy with their treatment.

You receive this information while doing NVQ2 and 3! When you have training in a product like gel it teaches you "how to apply", "how to prep" and "how to remove" in this product!
I think people should do a manicure course before going into gels, extensions etc as you do NEED to know the structure of the nail, growth etc....doing a day course in gels won't give you this information!

Latest posts

Back