Do you wear gloves when doing pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin

Reaction score
Hi

Been lucky enough to have done 3 SPA pedicures today (very hard work & back killing!). Lucky all my clients feet were nice. But I have got a few more bookings next week and wondering if you ever wear gloves, if so, what type are they and where can you get them from?

Thanks

K x

hi karin

i personally dont use gloves when doing pedicures. i would imagine they would get in the way. i prefer to feel the feet ( after they have been soaked of course!) i have never really had anyone with really bad feet

Hi, i don't use gloves when doing pedicures. I have had a few clients whose foot aroma wasn't exactly pleasant, but a quick wipe over with cool blue and a soak in some peppermint and tea-tree water works wonders!!

Actually, if a person's feet really smell, from a reflexology point of view, it can tell you a lot about the person's diet and state of health. If you can pinpoint what the underlying smell is e.g rotten cabbage/ smelly fish/ pure sweat, a few "chance" questions could reveal binge dieting, rich foods or even a minor reaction to leather innersoles in shoes!! Footwear plays a big part as well. Although it isn't always practical, the more ventilation around the foot, the better!! Also, if you can, try to find where the smelliest part of the foot is (if it doesn't gross you out tooo much) as that can indicate an inbalance in that particular area of the body. I'll stop now before this becomes a reflexology lesson!!

I dont wear gloves for pedi's but I always use gloves when checking the feet for contraindications.
Vinyl gloves for me....hate latex! :green:
You can usually pick vinyl and latex gloves up from Ellisons, Capital etc.....

I don't wear gloves as I think it looks rude. I really don't think you can catch any more from someones feet than from their hands. xx

Karin said:
Hi

Been lucky enough to have done 3 SPA pedicures today (very hard work & back killing!). Lucky all my clients feet were nice. But I have got a few more bookings next week and wondering if you ever wear gloves, if so, what type are they and where can you get them from?

Thanks

K x

I use gloves for nail ext and pedicure, waxing etc

I don't wear gloves for pedicures either, as I think its perhaps looks a little unprofessional.

IMO I think its better to "feel" the feet, especially when it comes to footscrub and massage.

Once the feet have been steralised and had a good soak, don't think there's too much to worry about...., just my opinion.

I always wear gloves for the earlier part of the pedicure.
My hands would dry out if they were in and out of water, apart from anything else.

I don't do pedicures, but I do nail art on toes. When I've got to do them, I say to the client "do you mind washing your feet, before I start?" Then go on to explain to them, how the moisture and oils on the nails prevent the polish adhering to the nails. Never ever tell them about my phobia of feet.

Hi Karin,

I always wear gloves when doing a pedicure but usually take them off when it comes to the massage and polish. I have always done this as when I was practising at college we were amazed how many of the clients we were unable to treat due to various suspected infections !!!

Thanks for your comments. For those of you out there that do wear gloves, what kind are they, how much do they cost & where do you get them from?

Agree it can look unprofessional but I do think it is a good idea to wear them at the start when looking for contraindications. This is only my preference. However, I do think it is important to feel the feet when doing a massage and polish.

Lots of techs I have spoken to started off doing pedicures and then stopped once they had a bad experience. I really dont want to get to this stage as it is good money & I am not that keen on feet anyway & have charged a high price to reflect this. But when I do do them I want to be prepared.

K x

Hi Karin,

I have my gloves given to me so have'nt had to go out and buy any yet! I have just had a look in the Nail Order catalogue and they are selling vinyl gloves at 4.95 for a 100 pack. I am sure there are many more places that sell them if you try a search on the net. I have been told that it is best to go for latex free just incase any of your clients are allergic to latex.

Hope this helps.

mooredianne said:
Actually, if a person's feet really smell, from a reflexology point of view, it can tell you a lot about the person's diet and state of health. If you can pinpoint what the underlying smell is e.g rotten cabbage/ smelly fish/ pure sweat, a few "chance" questions could reveal binge dieting, rich foods or even a minor reaction to leather innersoles in shoes!! Footwear plays a big part as well. Although it isn't always practical, the more ventilation around the foot, the better!! Also, if you can, try to find where the smelliest part of the foot is (if it doesn't gross you out tooo much) as that can indicate an inbalance in that particular area of the body. I'll stop now before this becomes a reflexology lesson!!
fishy feet urgh! i never got taught that in reflexology!
i dont wear gloves, i have had a few minging ones but im not that bothered by feet so im lucky!

That is indeed a great article!

I do a lot of pedicures so I wear them through the soak, callous eliminator and scrub to protect my hands and then take them off for the mask, massage and enamel.

HI ya

No i dont wear gloves either.....love doing pedi's....must be a secret foot fettish!!! Yeuch

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i done a few pedis with gloves on and a few with gloves off on friends and family to see the diference and the overall reaction was no gloves was better for me and them os its gloves off from now on, feet dont bother me as long as they have been in the foot bath

At college, we didn't wear gloves and feet don't really bother me after they've been soaked.

The only treatments I use gloves for are: waxing, epilation, and tanning, I've heard people using them for everything including facials, which I think is way too much.

Latest posts

Back