Do you work on a Saturday if you're NOT salon based?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and Sundays and evenings I must be insane

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I work Saturdays but only every other. My son goes to his Dads every other weekend so i am more than happy to work the Saturdays he is there.

I have a day job Mon-Fri 9-5 so for beauty I offer Tues-Fri evenings from 6:30pm (sometimes not getting home till 11pm) then I do Saturdays 9am-8pm. Sundays are my day off. My Saturdays are fully booked at least a month in advance.

Pebbles you wouldn't believe, I offered the Saturday and she decided she couldnt make it and has gone for a friday night lolol

I think I will keep weekends on the whole for me, as I start feeling resentful cos as I say I'm happy to work 3 or 4 evenings as well as daytime, so there is a choice there. But I don't mind the odd Saturday morning for a beloved regular, or even the odd new person, but I'm going to make them VERY aware that it's only occasional so not to expect Saturday as an option on the whole.

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's been really interesting to get everyone's point of view and see what everyone does.

I guess at the end of the day, it's a very individual thing and as lots of geeks have said, it's about your priorities and what fits in with your life at the moment. xx

I don't work weekends but occasionally like the lead up til Xmas I will work a Saturday. When I first started out I would work anytime just to please clients. Now I only offer them apps that suit me and they always seem to work around it. It's so much better than finding myself working multiple evening or odd app times that eat in to the precious little time I have to see my husband and kids.

X

Hi - I'm in a slow full service salon....I've had many Saturday's in SALONS with NO clients - NONE! I am hourly but Saturday & Sunday family is home.... between salon job & office job I work 6 days a week & I hate wasting a Saturday sitting in the salon doing nothing- however I get hourly pay -- real catch 22!!

This is an interesting thread:)

It is obvious it depends on what area and maybe even what country you live/work in.

I know here in Australia, our work force is now a 7 day per week work force but the majority of full time work is Mon to Fri including Thursday late night shopping.
Up until approx maybe only a decade ago, weekends were sacred times and shops/businesses were closed from Sat early/mid afternoon to Monday morning but not anymore. More and more businesses are opening 7 days and late every night and doing a booming trade.
So with these changes in mind and looking at catching more of the market, I have had to open at times to suit my clients on their off from work times.

I open my home salon all day Saturday and rarely do I have a free slot. All my clients on a Saturday are business people who are tied up in the office all week and can not get to me on a weekday or evenings during the week.
I also open up on a Wednesday evening now as well and again, never a free slot:) I chose to open late Wed night instead of our typical Thursday night late trading night here in Qld Australia because I knew if clients wanted to shop late during the week they could only do it on a Thursday night, so they wouldn't want to come to me on that same night, so I chose another night where nothing else is open.
I know one of my local hair salons opens Wed night instead of Thursday as well and they do a booming trade also.
If I didn't open on a Saturday and late one evening, I know I would miss out on income.
I am closed Sundays though as this is my one family day per week.
I used to also be closed Mondays but my books were becoming too full and needed to add Mondays to give my clients more of an option.

I have a family of 5, my youngest is 11 and terminally ill and I know how precious our time together is but at the same time, I have a business to build/run as well because without my business (and my hubby's income of course) we wouldn't be able to afford her medical care etc, so it's a matter of finding the balance for both worlds:)
But I do believe, if you are going to commit to having your own home salon/small business, it's not going to grow on it's own, it must have a lot of effort put into it for it to grow and sadly, this takes us away from "life".
It takes a lot to get to the stage where you can have your cake and eat it too:) in other words, have a successful enough business that you can be more picky about what hours you open and what hours you are closed to spend with family etc.

This is my first post here for nearing a couple of months and this is due to being so busy with work and "life", I have been a very involved regular here for many years but sometimes work and life must come first if you wish to succeed in both:)

Saturday is my busiest day where I can get in all my ladies who work full time during the week. I initially did Sunday's too but I think one day a week to catch up on housework and paperwork is needed.
I tend to not book appointments after 3/4 on a Saturday so I can be finished by 5. In the run up to Christmas, however, I normally do 8-8 on a Saturday.
I don't resent working on a Saturday or feel like I'm missing out on anything. I don't know what to do with myself if I have a Saturday off. I tend to wander around a bit lost!

Latest posts

Back