Do you work on a Saturday if you're NOT salon based?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Everyone expects a salon to be open on a Saturday so this is really aimed at home salons and mobile techs.

I don't know about you but I hate working Saturdays, it's family time, the rest of them are all off and barring the odd appointment here and there, on the whole, I try to keep Saturdays free. In the days before I had my kids, I happily worked Saturdays (not nails, I would add, but anyway)

I'm finding I'm being asked more and more for Saturdays and am reluctant to start offering appointments. Do you? And as a regular thing or just the odd favour for a loyal client?

I already offer evenings between 6 and 9.30pm, as well as daytime appointments, so surely that's enough options? Maybe it isn't!!

What do you think?

I think it depends what is more important and if you can financially afford to not work on a sat. Now you have kids I think it's more rewarding to spend time with them. You need to decide you closed and if you do a favor make it known it's once off. I used to do that and it would be the same clients coming every wk end or even Sundays after they been to shops and so making my life in convenient for extra few bucks! It isn't worth the stress. And most people can make a plan to come during your work hours! I now work from a hotel and don't get wk ends off untill I put my foot down and hung huge sign closed Sundays. End of story I don't are if sky falls down I am closed. Because people don't care at the end of the day they are fickle they will go to someone else. I learnt hard way and lost over 6years my social life due to clients and I'm not any better off then the salon who closed on Sundays!

Beauty at your finger tips!

I personally wouldn't want to do Saturdays as it's the only day me an my boyfriend have together as we both work in the week an Sundays his at football most the morning then seeing family and pub with footy mates etc so Saturday is the only day we can plan to do something .... I'd rather offer Sundays then Saturdays 1) not many are open Sundays? And 2) I have my Saturday to do what I need to 😃xx

Yes - I offer Saturday mornings only. My kids don't surface till lunchtime on a Saturday anyway (teenagers!) and my husband likes to go for long rides on his motorbike on Saturday mornings, so I don't miss anything at home anyway :)

I work Saturdays and do daytime appointments during the week. To be honest with the exception of a couple over time, people have booked in during the week as they too like their weekends free, unless they work during the week.

In some ways I find as I work Mondays (when a lot of salons in my area aren't open because they've opened on Saturday) I can get a fair few bookings on this day as I'm open.

I think if you're getting lots of enquiries I would consider it, but equally it's family time for you so I can completely understand if you don't want to.

As I work from home and hubby works shifts I've never really worried about Saturdays off. However I've only ever booked in two or three appointments at one time and all of which have been morning and lunch time appointments, leaving me with the rest of the day with my son. Now my husband is off practically every Sunday now so I keep Sunday as my day off - which reminds me I need to charge my fb opening hours lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No I don't, never have in 10 years and don't plan to :biggrin:

When I was a client I didn't want to have my nails done at the weekend either, they are for relaxing and spending time with family/friends

I try not to but occasionally will do the odd one if the client can't do any other time. It does have to be a regular client and I'd never take a new client on for Saturday appts.

Karaxxx

I prefer not to, I can usually fit everyone in during the week... & sometimes don't finish till 10pm think we earn our Saturdays off :) at a push Il offer a sat morning IF I cant squeeze them in elsewhere.

Xx

I try not to but occasionally will do the odd one if the client can't do any other time. It does have to be a regular client and I'd never take a new client on for Saturday appts.

Karaxxx

This is exactly how I've been playing it till now, now I have a new client wanting s Saturday as well as current ones!

I'm considering offering the appointment but stressing how much of a one off it is and making it clear it won't be regular thing.

I work half day on a Saturday for my regular ladies that can not do a weekday and I open my diary up for Sundays though these days it's rare that I have bookings for this day but I like to use it as my USP as most high street salons are closed :) xx

I have every other Sunday off. Work the rest if the days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I caved in and started working Saturdays. But try to fit my appts in for the morning only. I hate it though :(

I don't do Sundays anymore, unless it's for make-up.

I won't work Saturdays, its time to be spent with my family and they are WAY more important to me. I work 5 days a week and 2 evenings which for me is enough 😊

I will sometimes do a Saturday but it has to be 9am. I want to be finished by 11am when my husband wakes up as he's away working all week and the weekend is the only time we see each other.

I work sat mornings (9am till 1:30) for last mins tans (I use the boost tans on them that only take 1-4 hours to develope), weekend and express lashes and shellac. I dont offer any other kind of nails, waxing ect as these can all be done through the week. However, I am in a different boat to you, as you have children I persume you are very busy and time with your children is very important. xxx

Im home salon, I work every Saturday 9-4 approx I do get the odd saturday that is not busy and the odd one I could fill twice :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm self employed in a salon and I do work Saturdays, I try to just get booked up in the morning then have the afternoon off.

I don't mind working in the morning as by the time I get home at 1.30ish the house is tidy, shopping is usually done, dogs already walked etc and I get to spend the rest of the weekend with my family. I guess it helps having a good husband that doesn't mind housework and shopping!

When I do have a Saturday off I am busy doing all of the above so going to work is easier, I earn a bit of money and less housework is so much better for my nails ;)

Family is incredibly important though, you will never get the young years back again, my daughter is now 14 and isn't quite as interested in spending time with me anymore, she has more important people to see and exciting things to do :(

You do what you feel is right for yourself, your business and your family xxx

This is exactly how I've been playing it till now, now I have a new client wanting s Saturday as well as current ones!

I'm considering offering the appointment but stressing how much of a one off it is and making it clear it won't be regular thing.

I guess it depends on how busy you want or need to be. I'm very lucky that I don't need to be rammed, my money is just for the extras and I was never meant to be working full time - my words and maybe not my husband all the time lol.

I'm busy enough during the week and don't need Saturdays, its a favour thing and my regulars know it. I won't start with new clients as I don't want to get into that situation. I do what suits me and if that's no good for them, tough!

Karaxxx

Im a hairdresser and gone from a salon to mobile and i only work saturday mornings for certain clients but that would only be till 12 and its prob 1 in 4 saturdays. I get a lot asking for hair up, blowdrys at like 3-6o clock but i say no, ive done my time doing saturday afternoon/ evenings. Time with little children is more important to me than work. :)

I only work Saturdays until 1pm. I have been thinking of doing every other saturday as i hate working weekends. I'd love to spend more time home with my boyfriend since weekends are the only day i really get to see him. he's so tired during the week it's like he's not even there :(

I'd also like to not work night but i'm not there yet. still developing a clientele

Latest posts

Back