Does anyone actually enjoy doing Minx?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I've been doing them for 2 years now and I have to say, it hasn't got any easier, I always find it a right old fiddle, I ALWAYS get those little creases with clients who haven't got completely flat toes, and lots of people have hardly any toenails on the two tiny toes,(which nearly always results n them losing the Minx quickly. And most toenails dont stick out further than the toes which makes getting that 45 degree angle almost impossible with the minx file.

I've just done some this morning and I have to say I wasn't overy happy with the result. They look great (the only bit I'm really good at is cutting them a nifty shape around the cuticle etc lol) but there were a couple of wrinkles which would NOT smooth down despite me doing the snippy thing with the twizzers and pressing down. I coated in Shellac and hoped for the best.:cry:

Does anybody really LIKE doing Minx? What are your secrets?? x

I LOVE doing Minx but the amount of clients asking for them has really dropped off, I've got my fingers crossed for the summer. I can get a set done in 35mins, that's doing the prep, sizing & triming, fixing, cutting the nails down and perfecting the shape at the end.

I've never used the file, my trainer told me not too as it was too much of a faff - he said to leave the nails long and use clippers at the end to cut both the nail and the minx. It kind of squashes the minx to the nail and makes it stay much better. Then you only have to do a tiny bit of filing afterwards to perfect the shape.

I'd be really happy to do more, for me they are a real money maker (I charge £25) but clients seem to be going for a more subtle approach, either matching their shellac or just having rockstars - Im sad I cant do more.

Karaxxx

I must agree with Kara, I love doing them, find them really quick and clean to do, but I'm in the same position, people don't really ask for them right now, hopefully it's just the time of year xxx

I love doing them too
I've got a few regulars who get Minxed all winter, but with the good weather at Easter, I did quite a few more
Roll on summer........I would happily Minx all day 😀

I really don't like doing them! I find them such a far, I'd much rather do CND Shellac with some rockstars/foils/stamping etc xx

Intensely dislike doing Minx for all the reasons you mention Blossom.

I LOVE doing Minx but the amount of clients asking for them has really dropped off, I've got my fingers crossed for the summer. I can get a set done in 35mins, that's doing the prep, sizing & triming, fixing, cutting the nails down and perfecting the shape at the end.

I've never used the file, my trainer told me not too as it was too much of a faff - he said to leave the nails long and use clippers at the end to cut both the nail and the minx. It kind of squashes the minx to the nail and makes it stay much better. Then you only have to do a tiny bit of filing afterwards to perfect the shape.

I'd be really happy to do more, for me they are a real money maker (I charge £25) but clients seem to be going for a more subtle approach, either matching their shellac or just having rockstars - Im sad I cant do more.

Karaxxx

I can see how this would really cut down down on the timings. Can I ask when you use the clippers are the toes still under the lamp staying warm or have they completely cooled?

Used to do them all the time ! now i cant stand them and just dont do them x

I can see how this would really cut down down on the timings. Can I ask when you use the clippers are the toes still under the lamp staying warm or have they completely cooled?

They've cooled, I turn the lamp off as soon as I've put the last one on, I trim all 10 and then clip.

Karaxxx

I'm another minx lover!
i love doing it and just wish i did more again! I used to do more then lot of people loved rockstars which took over. As the summer comes i know i'll do more again, i'll be getting them on my own toes too :biggrin:

I also use clippers on the end but my top tip to avoid wrinkles is to make sure you keep the product warm (i work under the lamp as opposed to next to it) and press your shellac onto the nail to smooth it on, dont rub it as this is when wrinkles occur usually.

I'm another minx lover!
i love doing it and just wish i did more again! I used to do more then lot of people loved rockstars which took over. As the summer comes i know i'll do more again, i'll be getting them on my own toes too :biggrin:

I also use clippers on the end but my top tip to avoid wrinkles is to make sure you keep the product warm (i work under the lamp as opposed to next to it) and press your shellac onto the nail to smooth it on, dont rub it as this is when wrinkles occur usually.

I put mine on last week, when we had some sun! I thought excellent flip flop weather!

I agree, work under the lamp and not next to it as they cool really quickly.

Karaxxx

Last edited:
I'm another minx lover!

I have done the CND minx training and I didn't know to work under the lamp . . . I turn it off once the Minx has gone floppy. this could make sooooo much difference - thank you xx

I am another lover of minx but don't do that many anymore I get a few more in the summer but I think shellac with glitter or stamping is more popular now x

I have done the CND minx training and I didn't know to work under the lamp . . . I turn it off once the Minx has gone floppy. this could make sooooo much difference - thank you xx

Glad to help. Sometimes education can change as more effective techniques are developed, you should definitely find it stays crease free much easier while it stays warm.
I have always taught to apply under heat, as a working nail technician as well as educator I know through personal experience that it is much easier this way.

I've never enjoyed doing minx, far too fiddly, I did have a few minx clients last summer, but it's really dropped off, have yet to do a set this year!!!

I find bling to go amazing to put on, I get them from salon services and capital. Try are 3D so look fab on feet ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398549951.123441.jpg

I hateeee doing minx. I did the training as an extra course at college, did a couple of sets after and haven't bothered since!
So fiddly - I just don't have the patience for that unfortunately!
I didnt really like many of the designs either so am not going to invest in something I don't love and have no passion for as it would be very hard for me to get clients excited about it!
I'm sounding like a right grumpy bore :p guess we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to treatments! :)

Just the usual prep, no heat required. Normally you just need one join on the big toe. Seen these lasting 6-8 weeks on clients. They love them, so much easier to work worth than minx although I think there are only 8 different designs. But that's enough for clients.

Latest posts

Back