Does physical appearance of therapists matter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely apply now. I have regularly recruited staff for various businesses and I would never discriminate because of someones size. I would be looking to ensure that you aren't lacking confidence or energy and if I think the weight is affecting personal hygiene that would be an issue, but the actual weight is not of any relevance at all. I regularly have treatments away from my own workplace and the girl I go to is overweight herself. Do it.

Just want to echo all what is said above.
No, way should you let your size affect you achieving your dream.
I am plus size too, & have been self-employed for just over 10years, I have had loads of clients say to me that they feel comfortable with me, & once about 4 years ago, one client said "your size is going in your favour, if you lost weight, you would loose clients"
Which I actually took as was said in the nicest way, maybe a bit blunt, but I do love my East End clients (what you see is what you get - best way to be lol)
Imagine if you are a plus size girl, or have wobbly bits you are conscious of, to have intimate waxing done by a perfect size girl, is very intimidating, so a lot of my clients have told me.
Who I rent my beauty room from, does spray tans, she is a size 8, I have lost count of the amount of people who say "I couldn't get naked in front of her" "I would feel so uncomfortable standing in front of her" I do try & put their minds at rest saying, she is not looking at you in that way, just looking to apply the spray making sure it goes on evenly etc, but still the bulk of them never go to her & ask if I can do it for them.
Regarding the make up, I hardly ever where any either, bit of Nivea pearl shine lol (& mascara if I have the time)
As long as you are smart, clean & tidy & amazing at your job, the rest doesn't matter- that's me! Xx

Wow, thankyou so much for the replies everybody! Really appreciate it! :D It sounds like being overweight shouldn't be an issue so I'm not going to let it hold me back with this and I'm going to apply for the course. I think I'm going to try and get used to applying makeup in a way to flatter my fatter face too and try and make the most of the way I look rather than using being fat as an excuse to be scruffy. Applying for the course can be my extra motivation to get back making an effort!

Thanks again everyone for sharing your opinions and experiences :Love:

It doesn't what size, shape, colour, style you are it's being good and passionate about what you do that matters.

I used to feel exactly the same as you 10 years ago before I started college.
Back then I was a size 20-22 and when I qualified and got my first job I was so embarrassed that I had to tell my boss my size to order my tunic - stupid really! I have always loved this job, and was so passionate about it all that I realised it doesn't matter what size you are or what you look like.
Clients loved my treatments and always requested me, and all the "being fat" worries had gone.
Within 4 and a half years I had lost 5 stone to a size 14 and had worked my way up to salon manager. I personally think majority of my weight loss was down to being happy, enjoying what I did and being motivated - it sounds silly but it did just happen with no huge effort!

I had a break from the "beauty" side and managed to bag a job working with a cosmetic surgeon assisting in al sorts of op's and doing laser treatments. I loved it but I really missed the salon environment - Not just the treatments mainly the clients and how well you get to know people, how they confide in you like you wouldn't believe (every experienced therapist will get that sometimes you feel you need to take a course in counselling! lol) and just in general, I like to feel my clients are "friends" not just random people and you just don't get that in the cosmetic industry, well I personally didn't.

I now have my own beauty salon, opened in December 2012 and business is going fantastic :D
I have 4 girls, sizes 8, 12, 16 and 22
I still love the job and can't ever see myself doing anything different, the business side is very stressful and demanding but I can still say I enjoy it - I'm sure my other half wouldn't agree with all my moaning! haha

Oh and I have had people say to me before doing body wraps and spray tans - "I'm so glad your not a really skinny as that would make me feel really/even more concious about my body" Upsets me a bit as I think every woman should love there body no matter what and no other woman should be judging them xxxx

Oh defo dothe course now, theres no point puttin it on hold for a yr as then your a year further away from startin your new career. As the other girls said, just being smart, enjoying what you do is enough, you dont need to be a size 8 to get on the course. Im a 16/18 n im just getting into beauty and i never once thought about giving up coz im not skinny. Iv been seeing my beauty therapist for over 3 years, shes a size 20+ and i felt so comfy having my treatments done by her, if she was a perfect size 8, im not sure i would of carried on having my treatments done.
Im glad you have decided to do the course. Gd luck x

It shouldn't matter what size, age, color, gender, ect you are. As long as you know what you're doing, you are comfortable with yourself and confident in what you're doing, and your clients feel comfortable with/confident in coming to you- that should be what matters. As this is a career that involves being around the general public and a lot of customer service, being and looking clean and professional, and being able to connect with/speak to people is important (at least that's the way I feel). I would never discriminate or turn away a client based on his/her appearance/size, and I would certainly hope a client would not doubt me based on the way I look.

Some of the best beauty therapists I know are overweight. And for some reason I seem to trust them more. They seem to do such a better job than me, I dont know what it is. Maybe the suzie-home-maker in them know how to do everything perfect but all I can say is the larger, the better service Ive seen lol!

warmth of character, genuiness and an ability to connect with people goes a long way and regarding looks neat and clean are the essentials

warmth of character, genuiness and an ability to connect with people goes a long way and regarding looks neat and clean are the essentials

Well said !

I couldn't spot one negative comment here about weight being an issue for beauty therapy and I also agree with the comments already made. Being large myself, may I add that you may need to pay extra attention to your underarms when working. The reasons being are that overweight people tend to sweat/perspire more especially when beauty work becomes quite physical eg. massage and as I have experienced... during lots of waxing when the room temperature is higher due to heated wax pots.

I am generous with my deoderant and as already said, if your appearance is smart and clean and you are professional in your manner, then the size of the therapist should not be an issue.

Enjoy.

My reaction would be exactly the same if you had asked, "Am I too old?", or "Am I too shy?" .. Just go for it!

As the others have all said - go for it!!

I'm in my second year at college. I'm 26 with 3 kids and also overweight.
I had the same worry, and more! (age, I'd have nothing in common with the others)
All the girls in my course are lovely and we're all different.
My closest friend on the course has the complete opposite problem - she's 7 stone and hates it and is constantly trying to gain weight. I'm 13 stone and constantly trying to lose!!
We all have a laugh.
Some of us have kids, some don't.
I love fake nails and lashes, the others are more natural.

Do it, you'll love it!!! X

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Go for it defo. I never read everyone elses comments but just do it dont put it off. everyone is differant, difderant heights weight and style just aslong as u look smart and are clean then I think its fine :) I hardly ever wear make up and hardly anyone questions why a few ask and I just tell them honestly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I lost 68 pounds last year.

I was just as good at nails and hair removal when I was bigger as I am now when I'm small. My clients don't care. They have all been very supportive. When I almost got to 70 pounds lost, a few of the told me to stop because I was getting too skinny. I've levelled off lately at about 55-60 pounds down. I'm happy where I am. My clients never treated me any differently from when I was big vs skinny.

I didn't lose weight because I cared what anyone else thought of how I looked, I lost it because it was important to me to be at a more healthy weight, lower my cholesterol, put less strain on my joints, etc etc.

Like everyone else has said, as long as you're clean, smiling and look professional/presentable, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

Latest posts

Back