Dogs....Weimaraner v's Hungarian Vizsla

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandz

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Me and my partner are looking at getting a puppy, we are torn between a weimaraner or a hungarian vizsla.
We have searched the net so we know that both breeds are pretty bonkers, but I am after peoples advice, if they have either got either breed or know anything about them.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!!

i love weimers , hubbys cousin is one of the top breeders of em in uk and his other is the top breeder in canada, they are nutty but lovely dogs ,
i will try find out his cousins website so you can get some more info xx

I don't have a dog at all but I know someone with a hungarian vizsla and she is gorgeous (the dog that is!). She is quite hyper but gentle with it and she hardly ever barks...... She carries things in her mouth, so when you walk in she brings you a toy or a shoe etc in her mouth!

Not the most in-depth review, sorry, but I really like her!

hth's

My gorgeous Viszla Dingo is sadly no longer with me but brought a huuuge amount of joy and cheer to the family (especially when running around the backgarden with my bra viz a vis Marley & Me lol!!!!). They are completely insane but huugely loveable. Though there are some things they really have to try and remember...........
My master is not a human pillow and I theoretically have my own very nice bed.
Just once I can resist the urge to follow my master when he/she walks into another room.
After 500 retrieves maybe I shouldn't bark and point for another one.
I can easily knock people over at the dog park if I am chasing another dog at 30 mph.
I should not lean on strangers or rub my behind on them just because of a cheap pat.
I can get anything I want if I wait long enough and look so cute.
The original:
I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
The garbage collector is NOT stealing our stuff.
I do not need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm lying under the coffee table.
I will not roll my toys behind the fridge.
I must shake the rainwater out of my fur BEFORE entering the house.
I will not eat the cats' food, before or after they eat it.
I will stop trying to find the few remaining pieces of clean carpet in the house when I am about to throw up.
I will not throw up in the car.
I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, horse nuggets, etc.
"Kitty box crunchies" are not food.
I will not eat any more socks and then redeposit them in the backyard after processing.
The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
I will not wake Mommy up with my cold, wet nose on her bottom.
I will not chew my human's toothbrush and not tell them.
When in the car, I will not insist on having the window rolled down when it's raining outside.
We do have a doorbell, but I will not bark each time I hear one on TV.
I will not steal my Mom's underwear and dance all over the backyard with it.
The sofa is not a face towel. Neither are Mom & Dad's laps.
My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Dad's driver's license and car registration

My gorgeous Viszla Dingo is sadly no longer with me but brought a huuuge amount of joy and cheer to the family (especially when running around the backgarden with my bra viz a vis Marley & Me lol!!!!). They are completely insane but huugely loveable. Though there are some things they really have to try and remember...........
My master is not a human pillow and I theoretically have my own very nice bed.
Just once I can resist the urge to follow my master when he/she walks into another room.
After 500 retrieves maybe I shouldn't bark and point for another one.
I can easily knock people over at the dog park if I am chasing another dog at 30 mph.
I should not lean on strangers or rub my behind on them just because of a cheap pat.
I can get anything I want if I wait long enough and look so cute.
The original:
I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
The garbage collector is NOT stealing our stuff.
I do not need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm lying under the coffee table.
I will not roll my toys behind the fridge.
I must shake the rainwater out of my fur BEFORE entering the house.
I will not eat the cats' food, before or after they eat it.
I will stop trying to find the few remaining pieces of clean carpet in the house when I am about to throw up.
I will not throw up in the car.
I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, horse nuggets, etc.
"Kitty box crunchies" are not food.
I will not eat any more socks and then redeposit them in the backyard after processing.
The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
I will not wake Mommy up with my cold, wet nose on her bottom.
I will not chew my human's toothbrush and not tell them.
When in the car, I will not insist on having the window rolled down when it's raining outside.
We do have a doorbell, but I will not bark each time I hear one on TV.
I will not steal my Mom's underwear and dance all over the backyard with it.
The sofa is not a face towel. Neither are Mom & Dad's laps.
My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Dad's driver's license and car registration

You have just described my Dobermann perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!

He woke my husband crying the other night at 4am, he got up to let him out and as soon as he got out the bed the Dobie jumped in to his space and looked at him as if to say"well it was time for you to get up!!!":)

Hi, im a German Shepherd gal my self as i own a big hairy bear {hes in my profile pics} but i like both of the breeds you are on about. When you have got one put some pics up for us to see just love puppys xx

Hiya

Both breeds are lovely but as you have abviously read are mental and extremely high energy! They are also gun dogs so will carry things around - particularly things that you rather they wouldn't, although this is potentially true of all dogs! As long as you really research them and GO TO TRAINING CLASSES with either breed you will be fine. Classes are soooo important, even if you have had a hundred dogs in your life it is so much easier to train a dog with help. I work in a rescue centre and I have run training classes and I still went to, and would go again to, classes with my pup. It is really hard to see yourself what you are doing and having someone on the outside who is trained to see is essential.

Bear in mind as adults they will need minimum 2 hours walking a day. Weimaraners are very good at agility surprisingly so you could consider that especially as they are very intelligent and therefore will get bored easily and you really don't want him to find his own entertainment!

Have fun deciding and let us see him or her when you decided and they arrive! Lx

My vet has two lovely vizlas and my dog walker has a weimeraner. I have also met both breeds at gundog training (I have labs) and I confess to have a leaning towards vizlas but they are both lovely dogs.

Once you have decided, make sure both parents are health tested. It's worth checking with the breed club, but as a minimum I would say hip scoring and eye tests. Don't accept that the vet has given them a health check.

What decision did you make? Weim or Vis? And how is it all going?

my mumhas a weimaraner and as lovely as she is....she has been riddled with health problems. shes a great dog but has had cysts and reproductive problems....mun paid good money to show her but because of cysts and her short hair they wont be able to show her cos of scars so decided to breed instead but due to problems they cant do this either. would look into it carefully but shes a lovely dog to be around otherwise xx

My brother and s-i-l got a weimeraner 14 years ago, and he lived the last 7 years or so of his life with my parents, and thier 2 standard poodles.
Jeremy was such a lovely dog, really happy all the time, very high spirited, very ditzy but incredibly loyal. He loved long walks, and was amazing with our growing children, he would be very protective of them when out.

In the end he had spine problems, and at 13, he lost his battle, but right up to the end, he was happy, even if he couldn't really walk or get out into the garden.

Friends of mine also have a weim, she's lovely, and is much more placid than Jem was, but no less dizzy. I think weim's are the dizzy blondes of the dog world.

As an aside, they do train really well, and are used in some germanic police forces because they are trainable.

It is good advice to get them to training classes as a pup, my brother didn't do that with jeremy, and he was a handful until he was spayed...

Thanks for making me smile, and reminiscing about a wondeful animal!

Rebecca (who's a standard poodle kind of lass)

Get one of each :lol:

Latest posts

Back