Doing my own Acrylic Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marshmallow1986

Reaction score
Hi All

im not qualified to do Acrylic Nails, but have bought a kit to try and do it myself and i had some questions

what is the best Acylic Powder to use?
do i shape the tips before or after i put the acrylic on?
after applying the acrylic, it is a buffer or file i use to smooth the nails?

id be grateful for any other tips you have for a beginner. ive had my nails done a few times so i have a rough idea of how its done, im hoping if im able to do it, it would save me going to a nail salon every 2 weeks.

Cheers xoxox :biggrin:

i really really suggest that you do some sort of training, acrylic products are extremly dangerous in the wrong hands, professionals are trained not only to use the products but the health and safety and chemical reactions of the products that are being used, you could cause yourself some serious harm and over exposure to these chemicals if they are not applied correctly. it would be useful if you could do them yourself i completely understand but having that same scenario myself many years ago i ended up with very very badly damaged and sore nails and it was very embarrassing not being able to wear nails for atleast 6 months as no one would touch me the state they were in, the best thing you can do is do a course as i say it looks easy and seems easy but its a very dangerous product to be using without knowledge and correct understanding of the chemical bonding your creating

and im sure others will agree x

Hi there,

I totally agree with Pussinboots.

I started self teaching myself and got nowhere really (Except for having sore nails), the best thing to do is enroll on a course as this will teach you everything, you need to undestand nail anatomy and the chemicals/products and what they can potentially lead to if used in an in-appropriate way. You need to also have a knowledge of the tools you use and how to use them in the correct way so that you are aware of the harm they can cause.

People think doing nails is easy but the knowledge that goes into knowing chemicals, products, nail disorders, health and safety etc is far from easy!

Even if you are only doing you OWN nails you still need to know what you are doing correctly to ensure you are not going to cause yourself any serious damage

Also, this is a professional forum, if we gave all our tips & tricks away so that people could save themselves coming to the salon, we'd never have any business ;)

Knowing how much money nail techs spend training and how hard they work, I think you have a real cheek to even ask.

Forgot to ask, what is the brand of the kit you have purchased?

Is this the same poster from last week set to wind every one up again?

ok, sorry to have bothered you all.

Amanda

Can't believe the cheek! Went to asda today and saw a acrylic kit for sale for £20. She probably got one of those.lol:rolleyes:

Or one of the Rio dip systems? I started with these and when filing they smell like cat pee :eek:

After using the Rio i regretted it and knew it was time for a course!

:grr:

have a look on you tibe maybe there are some videos that can help:rolleyes:

I know why people are so defensive of the profession and I do get that way also now that i have paid for training etc but i also started off by using a cheaply bought kit ( a branded one might i add which I foolishly bought off flea bay ) I came into nails wanting to only do my own because i couldn't find a tech who would give me what i wanted without charging me a fortune. Good guidance and friendly advice here helped me to find training etc and eased me into what i now know will be my lifelong passion.

Please don't be so harsh on the OP - I know it is an area that is brought a lot to the forum and that people find it offensive because of the amount of money, time and energy that goes into becoming a pro but we all need to start somewhere and hopefully, we can all help the OP find a training course suitable for her and help her into the correct way of netering the profession xxxx ( please don't all bite my head off hha )

I know why people are so defensive of the profession and I do get that way also now that i have paid for training etc but i also started off by using a cheaply bought kit ( a branded one might i add which I foolishly bought off flea bay ) I came into nails wanting to only do my own because i couldn't find a tech who would give me what i wanted without charging me a fortune. Good guidance and friendly advice here helped me to find training etc and eased me into what i now know will be my lifelong passion.

Please don't be so harsh on the OP - I know it is an area that is brought a lot to the forum and that people find it offensive because of the amount of money, time and energy that goes into becoming a pro but we all need to start somewhere and hopefully, we can all help the OP find a training course suitable for her and help her into the correct way of netering the profession xxxx ( please don't all bite my head off hha )

I totally agree with you, there is no need for people to be jumping on high horses and I don't mean specifically on this thread either.

The original poster only want to do her own nails, not start her own business doing them. You may not like brands like Rio etc, but if people want to use them that is their choice. It was a question, no need to be rude.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hi All

im not qualified to do Acrylic Nails, but have bought a kit to try and do it myself and i had some questions

what is the best Acylic Powder to use?
do i shape the tips before or after i put the acrylic on?
after applying the acrylic, it is a buffer or file i use to smooth the nails?

id be grateful for any other tips you have for a beginner. ive had my nails done a few times so i have a rough idea of how its done, im hoping if im able to do it, it would save me going to a nail salon every 2 weeks.

Cheers xoxox :biggrin:

Ok! Buy a set of inverted moulds(poppits) and buy a good quality acrylic kit from a reputable seller not ebay. Spend an evening on YouTube watching clips on inverted moulds. With some practice you'll have a great set of nails.

Ok! Buy a set of inverted moulds(poppits) and buy a good quality acrylic kit from a reputable seller not ebay. Spend an evening on YouTube watching clips on inverted moulds. With some practice you'll have a great set of nails.

.....and how will she learn about sanitation and mix ratio from youtube? If she works too wet she will get product on her skin which could lead to over-exposure and allergic reactions. If she doesn't sanitise her nails she will give herself bacterial infections - that green look so attractive under enhancements don't you think? :rolleyes:

We're not just being precious here (although the many thousands of £'s we have all spent on training does have a bearing). There are loads of good reasons why we should not advise untrained members of the public to buy their own products and have a go - removal is another one. It the OP buys her l+p and inverted moulds how do you think she will get them off? Well she can't infill (no training), doesn't know a safe effective removal process (no training) so she will pick them off. Nice.

You only need to look at the thousands of threads by professionals that have had training and are struggling to realise its not as easy as it looks, so with no training you wont likely do a great set.
Again, professionals who have had training and know how they should work to avoid over exposure still get it so if you are un trained it is very likely you will cause yourself problems and over expose yourself to product. When that happens it'll be no nails full stop.

You've had good advice to either go to a professional and pay for the service or get training, thats what I too would recommend.

some of you ought to learn some manners. ive just came on and asked a couple of questions and you all bight my head off. its upto me if i want to do my own nails, i only asked you all a couple of questions. i understand that i should do some training beforehand and its something i will look into, but theres no need to be so rude to me and speak to me like a peice of sh*t.

Thanks to the others who were nice enough to PM me with some tips. i appreciate the help :biggrin: x

some of you ought to learn some manners. ive just came on and asked a couple of questions and you all bight my head off. its upto me if i want to do my own nails, i only asked you all a couple of questions. i understand that i should do some training beforehand and its something i will look into, but theres no need to be so rude to me and speak to me like a peice of sh*t.

Thanks to the others who were nice enough to PM me with some tips. i appreciate the help :biggrin: x

I'm sorry if you feel people were rude, us nail geeks are a passionate bunch! Here's another way to look at it though, if you walked into a hairdressing salon and asked how to mix up the colour you had bought off some website, how long to leave it on for and how to do the maintenance do you think they would tell you? No. That applies across many, many industries and all within them will be critical of diy-ers.

Some geeks were a little terse on this thread but it would be nice if we were shown some respect for our professionally learnt skill.

I don't think any one was trying to be rude, or as you said talk to you like a piece of s***. I know as a qualified nail tech who has spent thousands of $ in order to be happy with the service I give to other people, I don't appreciate someone asking "how can i do my own set of nails". And I'm sure most other nail techs feel the same.

If you do choose to do your nails, like you said that is your choose, but don't expect people to be happy about you doing so. Believe it or not, you can suffer from a great deal of pain and health problems by doing your own nails when you are not trained.

I'm sorry if i came off rude to you but as i stated before i started self learning with a rio kit and the acrylic isn't good, i really hurt myself with them and couldnt do anything with my nails for about 3 months. It's amazing the quality difference of reputable brands, i have just gone to NSI and am amazed with the product!

But as stated in one of the previous threads..... in-fills, sanitation, removal... you need to know these things. Also if you have poor prep the nails will not last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back