Dr Oz says gel manicures aren't safe!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonnaydf

Reaction score
Just watching the Dr Oz show, his topic of the day is, "Are gel manicures safe?" According to the dermatologist he had on, she states a person should never get a gel manicure! She also stated that the removal process thins the nail plate by 50% and could cause you to get a bacterial infection. She states that LED lights should be used to cure instead of a UV. If the salon doesnt have a LED lamp them you should leave. I'm afraid my business to going out the door!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Ahhh. Speechless right now!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Well I'm glad my clients dont come from Ohio ! we didnt see that in th UK. I hate reports that do our business damage. But then you could say there are bad reports about anything.

On new years day we had a program about food and they said that preprepared lettuce was washed in clorine which got me worried ! I think if people want Thier nails done they will go and get them done.

Look at what the founder of Body shop said ! She announced on telly that her products were c**p. Did it do damage to the sales of products ? No.

Made me giggle 😊

Oh shut up Dr Oz.:smack:

Ugh. What that idiot on the show doesn't realize is that LED is ALSO UV. I find it offensive that Dr. Oz has taken the beauty industry to task and has absolutely no real fact based information to back him up- and that people LISTEN to him! He should be ashamed for perpetuating nonsense with scare tactics.

Argh. It gets my goat, can you tell?

One would need 250 years of weekly UV-cured nail sessions to equal one treatment in a tanning bed. Tested fact.

UV Nail Lamp Safety Information.

As of April 11, 2012.

• According to Dr. Robert M. Sayre, Ph.D., of Rapid Precision Testing Laboratories one of the creators of the SPF rating system: “UV Nail Lamps are safer than natural sunlight or sunlamps.”.

• Dr. David Valia, Director of Research and Development for CND, compares the exposure from a UV lamp to that of indoor fluorescent lighting. He explains, “The amount of energy from a UV lamp during a nail service would be roughly equivalent to the amount of UV exposure one would experience during a typical day of exposure in indoor fluorescent lighting.”.

• According to Dr. Sayre: “People who are indoors have little to no skin risk due to long term exposure to fluorescent lighting. People who sunbathe or work outdoors have real risks of excessive UV exposure, the cause of sunburn and skin cancer.”.

• “The CND UV Nail Lamp bulb emits almost exclusively (more than 99%) UVA-1, the safest part of the ultraviolet spectrum,” says Dr. Sayre.

• The exposure from a bi-weekly UV manicure is equivalent to “an extra 1-2 minutes in daylight each day between salon visits,” says Doug Schoon, CND’s Chief Scientific Advisor and author of Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

• Although hands are the most exposed, they’re also the least susceptible to UV sensitivity. According to Dr. Sayre, “It would take 6 – 10x more exposure to your hands to produce mild sunburn than it would to produce a burn on your face, abdomen or back. UV Nail Lamps are used on one of the least susceptible parts of your body.”.

• Hands get more UV exposure holding the steering wheel of a car or talking on a cell phone outside than they do from the use of UV nail lamps.

• UV nail lamps have been on the market for over 30 years and there have been no proven reports linking them to premature aging or skin cancer.

• Just like you put sunscreen on your face, we recommend putting sunscreen on your hands throughout the day, especially after washing them.

ARM YOURSELF WITH FACTS. Print this and hand it to consumers with concerns!

Why do these people do this with these scares.
Worse one i remember was when Ann Diamond had a cot death and someone said it was linked to a chemical in foam mattresses.I had just had my first baby and went out and bought all new mattresses that were natural fibres.The cot,the baby basket,the pram all new mattresses.Cost a fortune,but I was scared as a new mother for my baby.

I wasn't the only one everywhere sold out of natural fibre mattresses and babies were sleeping on blankets because people chucked out their foam ones but all the natural ones had sold out.

It was all over the news in the papers but turned out to be a lot of rubbish the mattresses did not cause your baby to die.No evidence whatsoever.

Dr OZ! Sounds more like the freaking Wizard of Oz if you ask me....good grief. What a load of junk science.:eek:

One would need 250 years of weekly UV-cured nail sessions to equal one treatment in a tanning bed. Tested fact.

UV Nail Lamp Safety Information.

As of April 11, 2012.

• According to Dr. Robert M. Sayre, Ph.D., of Rapid Precision Testing Laboratories one of the creators of the SPF rating system: “UV Nail Lamps are safer than natural sunlight or sunlamps.”.

• Dr. David Valia, Director of Research and Development for CND, compares the exposure from a UV lamp to that of indoor fluorescent lighting. He explains, “The amount of energy from a UV lamp during a nail service would be roughly equivalent to the amount of UV exposure one would experience during a typical day of exposure in indoor fluorescent lighting.”.

• According to Dr. Sayre: “People who are indoors have little to no skin risk due to long term exposure to fluorescent lighting. People who sunbathe or work outdoors have real risks of excessive UV exposure, the cause of sunburn and skin cancer.”.

• “The CND UV Nail Lamp bulb emits almost exclusively (more than 99%) UVA-1, the safest part of the ultraviolet spectrum,” says Dr. Sayre.

• The exposure from a bi-weekly UV manicure is equivalent to “an extra 1-2 minutes in daylight each day between salon visits,” says Doug Schoon, CND’s Chief Scientific Advisor and author of Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

• Although hands are the most exposed, they’re also the least susceptible to UV sensitivity. According to Dr. Sayre, “It would take 6 – 10x more exposure to your hands to produce mild sunburn than it would to produce a burn on your face, abdomen or back. UV Nail Lamps are used on one of the least susceptible parts of your body.”.

• Hands get more UV exposure holding the steering wheel of a car or talking on a cell phone outside than they do from the use of UV nail lamps.

• UV nail lamps have been on the market for over 30 years and there have been no proven reports linking them to premature aging or skin cancer.

• Just like you put sunscreen on your face, we recommend putting sunscreen on your hands throughout the day, especially after washing them.

ARM YOURSELF WITH FACTS. Print this and hand it to consumers with concerns!

You go girl... this makes us all feel so much better :hug:

Very glad we don't have this Dr Oz in the UK :eek: he sounds a right nonse !

I've always found Dr. Oz very snakey..I think he says anything to create a buzz.

I used to like Dr. Oz...before he came out with his UV mani's as UNsafe a few years ago. The thing is, he won't have anyone on his show to rebuke that information. So, I quit watching.

What a maroon! :wink2:

I noticed this episode today. He's all about what can harm/hurt/kill you. Whatever is popular at the moment he tries to refute, never has varied opinion, and doesn't research the information his guests use. Total fraud. Luckily most people I know including clients know he's an idiot!

Latest posts

Back