Dreading Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieLash

Reaction score
So I have been doing shellac for over a year now but over the past few months having problems with bubbling in the base coat.
Thought it might be the product so bought a new base coat - all fine until about a week after iv got it but I can actually see it bubbling on application. It looks like its got dust or fluff in it. I always do thorough prep using lint free pads etc and thin application but its now driving me crazy that I'm dreading shellac. Any one had this or can help?

sounds to me like you could be using too much scrubfresh and the nail plate is ''wet''. That will affect the bonding of the base to the pepped nail plate and cause it to look bubbled.
I'm assuming you're using the correct lamp and product is bought from the authorised distributor?

I just started with Shellac and this is happening to me as well. Yes it looks exactly like dust or fluff.

I have correct products purchased from s2 and cnd lamp with plenty bulb life but it happens before product goes in the lamp.

Apologies for this post being posted twice - not sure what has happened there!

scrubfresh but don't saturate the nail plate and see does that help.

I will try that too to prevent the bubbles. But I AM also pulling off little hairs. I cant figure out where they are coming from. It's like from a cotton ball, and I am not using a cotton ball!

I will try that too to prevent the bubbles. But I AM also pulling off little hairs. I cant figure out where they are coming from. It's like from a cotton ball, and I am not using a cotton ball!

Are your towels causing this? I had this problem when I replaced all my towels. After a few washes all was well

So I have been doing shellac for over a year now but over the past few months having problems with bubbling in the base coat.
Thought it might be the product so bought a new base coat - all fine until about a week after iv got it but I can actually see it bubbling on application. It looks like its got dust or fluff in it. I always do thorough prep using lint free pads etc and thin application but its now driving me crazy that I'm dreading shellac. Any one had this or can help?

I have had this problem before. Someone suggested on another thread starch or similar is on the base coat brush for transit purposes and therefore the brush has to be cleaned on a plastic back pad with disperse prior to use. I have been cleaning my brushes since and it seems to make a difference. If this is the case don't know why there isn't direction on the packaging.

Hope this helps

Had another client this morning a previous shellac wearer but not a regular.
Thoroughly cleaned my base coat brush, as well as thorough nail prep and not saturating nail with scrub fresh - still had probs with 2 fingers.

So after client cleaned brush again and had a practice on a practice hand and was still getting tiny bubbles and lumps - it's driving me crazy and looking like my base coat has fluff all in it. So shaken thoroughly and cleaned brush again and then applied the base coat really slowly along the nail dragging the brush slowly and several times, seemed to work a bit better.

I get the same problem with Gelish :/

Hello!
I also have this problem with my base coat. I also find this with some of the colours. Like you say it's as if there are fibres in it. Or lumps!

It's really frustrating!

I shake the bottle and some colours are new!

I don't know what do to either!

When people post about these troubles with gels or Shellac, it usually ends up being lack of experience, lack of understanding the product chemistry and/or not removing everything they should from the natural nail surface during PEP.

:) Neither does Shellac Base Coat nor do the colours come filled with bits of hair and fibres ... And experienced nail technicians do not report the same troubles. Have you all got a Shellac certificate, and if you do have you shown your educator your problem? If some of you are continually having this issue, then I would politely suggest one or the other, as posting is not going to solve or fix it.

Your problem may be that your leaving containments on the nail after your doing your cuticle work or your pressing a little hard so it's lifting tiny bits of the nail (I know someone who was doing this and changing the angle of the pusher stopped it)

Just an idea.

Sounds like its fibres from the nail wipes you're using to apply the scrubfresh before you apply the basecoat. Most say "lint free" but few truly are and if you're really scrubbing the nail plate its inevitable that tiny fibres may be left behind.

When people post about these troubles with gels or Shellac, it usually ends up being lack of experience, lack of understanding the product chemistry and/or not removing everything they should from the natural nail surface during PEP.

:) Neither does Shellac Base Coat nor do the colours come filled with bits of hair and fibres ... And experienced nail technicians do not report the same troubles. Have you all got a Shellac certificate, and if you do have you shown your educator your problem? If some of you are continually having this issue, then I would politely suggest one or the other, as posting is not going to solve or fix it.

I would sincerely hope that shellac base coat or colours would not come with bits in it.
I do not have a shellac certificate yet however I will when funds permit, be attending my nearest shellac course but until then I always look to ask the advice of other geeks on here what this could be and if anything they can suggest may help rectify the problem.
I am not an experience nail technician yet although one day I will be and until then I hope that I can look to this forum for help and support and suggestions that may help when I need it. If all if us were experienced then surely we would not need to post on here and ask other geeks advice.
Thank you to those of you that have given your suggestions so far, all of which I have taken on board to try realise what it may be that I'm doing wrong and how I can rectify the problem.

I would sincerely hope that shellac base coat or colours would not come with bits in it.
I do not have a shellac certificate yet however I will when funds permit, be attending my nearest shellac course but until then I always look to ask the advice of other geeks on here what this could be and if anything they can suggest may help rectify the problem.
I am not an experience nail technician yet although one day I will be and until then I hope that I can look to this forum for help and support and suggestions that may help when I need it. If all if us were experienced then surely we would not need to post on here and ask other geeks advice.
Thank you to those of you that have given your suggestions so far, all of which I have taken on board to try realise what it may be that I'm doing wrong and how I can rectify the problem.

I think your going to have to do a Shellac course sooner rather than later to find out where you are going wrong (plus it's good to be trained as it shows people that you know what you are doing and is needed for your insurance if you don't have any other gel qualification)

I had loads of little problems before starting my gelish course now I've done it I don't have those problems now and my Gelished clients nails are lasting up to (and over on one lady) the 3 week mark.

Mentioning fluff I get clients to remove any fluffy jumpers if possible and I never wear my lovely cardi anymore as it's a fluff nightmare and any towels i have i wash on high before use.

xx

Agree with Maz101, it is possible to do your cuticle work too hard and leave bits on the nail or not clear loose cuticle with the cutter. My question would be what sort of light are you using? By light I mean to see what you are doing (i.e. not to cure the nails).

I have a slimline daylight lamp and I can't work without it. It helps you see all the tiny fuzzies to ensure they have gone. Very hard to see them in bad lighting. Also I would agree investing in the shellac course - it's not a huge outlay for the benefit. Although a 121 might be the trick so the teacher can concentrate on you. I know it's hard when you start out but the extra confidence will result in extra income :)

I've had this problem before and was advised by my IBD trainer that it was probably where I was performing my service too close to a window (natural UV light). The gel can start to cure on the brush and will then create what looks like fibres and lumps.
This can also happen if you leave your UV lamp on whilst applying the gel within close proximity to the lamp.

It may be worth having a look at where you are working and ensuring you are not too close to any sources of natural UV light.

Hope this helps!

I use Shellac and work right in a huge salon window and must be honest I haven't had a problem with it curing before being placed in the lamp, even on the brightest of days? As others have said, I would strongly suggest attending an official Shellac course. They really aren't expensive (I would actually go so far as to say they are surprisingly cheap!) and will cost far less than the cost of loss of business and the detrimental impact on your reputation through substandard treatments or heaven forbid if you would have to contact your insurance company over a complaint only to find you are not covered.

I use CND towels, desk roll, plastic backed pads and lint free pads. I find if one of the hairdressers is working close to me with a hair dryer then I get bits of fluff appearing which I "stroke" off the nail with the shellac brush.

Latest posts

Back