Dry cracking hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Urgh I've not long moved from five years in a lovely hot climate to the cold of the U.K. The constant change from freezing cold to hot dry central heating (and lots of hand washing with two little kids around!) has done a number on my hands and they are suffering! I'm talking peeling, cracking skin, so painful! I wear gloves whenever I'm out but any hints, tips or miracle products to help? My nails look rubbish, hardly a great advert!!

Apply nutrogena hand cream last thing at night. It is sold in supermarkets, Boots etc. It is very thick goo-ey stuff but will work well to restore the moisture in your hands.
For your nails use solar oil twice during the day, this will hydrate the cuticle areas and improve your nail plate quality.

After trying many creams over the years Diprobase sold at chemists is the best, contains paraffin wax works wonders.

Betnovate cream prescribed by doctor was the only thing that help my hands

Betnovate is a very effective steroid cream & whilst it is often necessary for those with an underlying medical condition if the cause of your dry skin is simply climate related you should not need a prescriptive cream. Steroids are something to avoid if you possibly can.

Paraffin is an occlusive emollient which means it coats the skin in a film which stops it from losing moisture. It is found mostly in the cheaper end of moisturising products. It's not a bad ingredient. It will work although it is better used in partnership with other moisturising ingredients & other emollients do outperform it.

Humectant emollients enhance water absorption within the skin and also enable the skin to absorb more moisture from external sources. Glycerol and urea are the most common. They are usually combined with alpha hydroxy acids (keratolytics) like lactic acid as their functions all work in synergy to encourage a moisture rich environment.

I would be looking for products with glycerol/urea, aha's, no fragrance & no paraffin unless humectants are also present.

Eucerin is the most well known range. But there are lots of options. Fragrance free is important as it can be so irritating to already sensitive skin.

Last edited:
A good hand product as suggested above and I find using cotton gloves over the top amazing! X

Urgh I've not long moved from five years in a lovely hot climate to the cold of the U.K. The constant change from freezing cold to hot dry central heating (and lots of hand washing with two little kids around!) has done a number on my hands and they are suffering! I'm talking peeling, cracking skin, so painful! I wear gloves whenever I'm out but any hints, tips or miracle products to help? My nails look rubbish, hardly a great advert!!

I have dermatitis on my right hand and my hand goes dry, cracks bleeds everything if it gets to dry. I know yours is dry hands but mine started off dry hands.. I use dermol 500 as soap a 500ml bottle is 10.00 off Lloyd pharmacy website and my hand moisturiser I use is aveeno hand cream it's shamaaaaazing! After using these two products to be fair a huge amount each day its a miracle I use the dermol 500 as soap and wash my hands god knows how many times a day and straight after I use my aveeno cream :)
The aveeno cream is usually about 7.99 but boots sometimes have it on offer I got it for 4.59 last time

I find Aveeno hand cream works for me. It's easily absorbed, doesn't contain strong perfumes and seems to stay on the skin even when you wash your hands

I find Aveeno hand cream works for me. It's easily absorbed, doesn't contain strong perfumes and seems to stay on the skin even when you wash your hands
That's what I like about it- it feels like a barrier I put it on just before I go in to do a massage lol I love it

Cream and cotton gloves at in bed fabulous!!![emoji106]

Latest posts

Back