Dry nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absolutebeautyx

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I know this has been discussed but I can't find what I'm looking for. I had a client come to me for Gellux gel polish every 3 weeks for over a year and every removal her nails were fine, in October I changed to Shellac and she comes every 2 and a half weeks. Each appointment her nails are getting more and more dry, I know she's using her oil at least twice a day. I thought shellac was meant to be better for the nails? I use all the proper pep, CND shellac and CND lamp and don't force the shellac off it just comes away in the remover wrap! I actually very very lightly buffed over this on the nails it was on and it took it away which I thought was strange? There not bending or anything so I know it's not stress marks! Anyway my client is getting worried as I have told her that Shellac was better for the nails! Any ideas?? Thanks in advance x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391258862.166139.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391258873.583938.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391258881.766608.jpg

I've never had nails look that bad after CND Shellac removal.

Get her some IBX stat!!!! :p

Are you sure she's using her oil? To me this looks like dehydration.

Get her some IBX stat!!!! :p

Are you sure she's using her oil? To me this looks like dehydration.

I was actually going to just for her haha! It looks like dehydration to me, she used to be honest with me and never used her oil when she was having Gellux now she uses twice maybe more a day and uses lots of hand cream which she didn't before, so strange! X

i use only true gel polishes (not brand i use a few brands ) never ever have this

with the brand you use you do not even buff what would it look like if you did

switch back with this client now if were you you should have done some time back
did you have this with the first brand

I don't usually buff with Shellac I just wanted to see if it would come away and it did, more de lamination than buffing. No she didn't have it with the Gellux, so annoying! I just want to help her lol. I'll see what she comes back with in 2 weeks after me removing the marks and I'll update :) x

I've never had nails look that bad after CND Shellac removal.

I've never seen them look like that either! I've been doing lots of clients since October and even the ones who are not using oil (me, oops) aren't as dry as that!
The Shellac just comes away with the wraps not a bit left on so it's not like I'm forcing off or anything x

just go back to gel polish simple ibx may be great but more time for a client that was doing just fine before

I'll suggest to her on her next appointment, she says she likes the Shellac better though as it doesn't chip as much. Going to try acrylic overlays on her for a bit more strength so I'll see what her nails are like when I remove the shellac next time. Thanks for the advice :)

One of my clients has had this recently and she does normally oil at least once a day. The dehydration looked similar, though not quite as bad, and I asked her to increase her oil to 3 times per day. At the next appointment it was almost all back to normal so she has stuck with this routine. She is also an ideal candidate for IBX!

One of my clients has had this recently and she does normally oil at least once a day. The dehydration looked similar, though not quite as bad, and I asked her to increase her oil to 3 times per day. At the next appointment it was almost all back to normal so she has stuck with this routine. She is also an ideal candidate for IBX!

I'll see if she can go up to more times a day, can't wait for IBX to be available! thanks :)

I do my mother inlaws nails & she has 3-4 nails exactly like this. She solar oils at least 3 times a day & hand cream too. She used to have other brands on before I started doing her nails in September, I use the FULL CND Shellac/brisa lite system. Other nail techs had over filed & buffed her nails & I know that has now grown out, yet each time I remove her Smoothing gel & Shellac it looks awful :-( im praying IBX repair with be the miracle for her!! Im baffled by it. My nails look perfect after removal so I dont understand. Possibly health & medication???

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't understand.... If she was coming every 3 weeks with the first gel polish and her nails we're fine. Yet now she's coming every 2.5 weeks and her nails are like that? Isn't the longevity of the previous polish and the fact that her nails were fine a dead give away...... Go back..... Why change?
I only use shellac and never seen nails like that.

Is she on any medication that could cause it?

I'm sure I read in a previous thread another Geek had this problem with a client (sorry I can't remember where or who), it was suggested to put on Solar Oil before removal and to ensure CND Nourishing Remover was used instead of DSolve to prevent further dehydration. Also Cuticle Eraser is a perfect partner to Solar Oil so maybe try retailing this too? Worth a try if she really wants to stay with CND Shellac. Also what about trying Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel under her CND Shellac as it is less damaging to the nail than L&P, as no buffing is needed and only 5 mins extra to removal times. I hope you find a solution for her. Xxx

I don't understand.... If she was coming every 3 weeks with the first gel polish and her nails we're fine. Yet now she's coming every 2.5 weeks and her nails are like that? Isn't the longevity of the previous polish and the fact that her nails were fine a dead give away...... Go back..... Why change?
I only use shellac and never seen nails like that.

Because she wanted to try something new, and the Gellux always chipped on her but the Shellac doesn't.

I'm sure I read in a previous thread another Geek had this problem with a client (sorry I can't remember where or who), it was suggested to put on Solar Oil before removal and to ensure CND Nourishing Remover was used instead of DSolve to prevent further dehydration. Also Cuticle Eraser is a perfect partner to Solar Oil so maybe try retailing this too? Worth a try if she really wants to stay with CND Shellac. Also what about trying Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel under her CND Shellac as it is less damaging to the nail than L&P, as no buffing is needed and only 5 mins extra to removal times. I hope you find a solution for her. Xxx

Not trained in Brisa, will try IBX thought. And definately retail some cuticle eraser. Thanks for the advice :) xx

Ask her if she has had a high fever lately, if my temperature hits 102 or higher my poor nails do exactly that every time. :(

Hi this has happened to some of my clients, I will offer a complimentary solar oil buff to rehydrate, works a treat clients are always amazed this is just before I reapply just got to make sure hands are washed well afterwards then scrub fresh and carry on shellac as normal using nourishing remover is the best to :)

How do you do a solar oil buff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask her if she has had a high fever lately, if my temperature hits 102 or higher my poor nails do exactly that every time. :(

Nope health has been fine, she's not on any medication, nothing has changed really!

Id be interested in a solar oil buff too though?

After removal and cuticle work, apply tiny drop if oil onto each nail then gently using a soft buffing file buff the oil into the nails an they instantly look amazing and hydrated.
I then wash hands thoroughly file scrub fresh and reapply shellac as normal
Please note though I do not do this every time mayb once every 3 months or so for regular clients :) hope this helps clients love it as their nails look instantly amazing :)

Latest posts

Back