Dust and fume extractor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasboutique

Reaction score
Hi,
This information that accompanies the advert for this extractor is missleading at best. The actual Health and Safety Document referred to states;

"Control odour. Provide an extractor hood or a downdraught table. See illustrations: you need a downdraught round 1 metre per second into the table; or you need an inlet air speed around 0.5 metres per second
into the extractor hood.
The client’s nails must be over the downdraught or close to the hood.
Filter air for return to the salon or for discharge outside.
Caution: ‘dust masks’ are not acceptable as a control "

The actual document, Health and Safety COSHH SR13 can be viewed and downloaded via this link.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr13.pdf

Whilst this unit may work, (we have not tried it) it doesn't meet the regulations that are used by ALL local council trading standards/environmental health officers across the UK. Nail dust extractors have to be Overhead or Downdraft, (in the desk,) NOT sit on the desk.
Ambermist

Technically it makes no difference if the air is extracted upwards, sidewards or downwards. I'd have a lot of fun with any Inspector that tried to convince me otherwise :)

However, air speed is important. As a rule of thumb this needs to be sufficient to capture both visible and invisible dust (actually the most dangerous) that occurs when using an e-file (the dust flies of at high speed and has to be sucked into the filter or ventilation system). However, if the air speed is too high then a) the noise increases and b) the carbon filter make not have enough time to capture the chemicals.

Cheap filters are often not capable of capturing the invisible dust. This dust will then hang in the air and if the salon is not ventilated can hang for weeks and increase in density like pollution.

The filter should also be capable of capturing any chemicals in the air. These are neutralised using an active carbon filter (like charcoal), so that clean air is then extracted back into the room. Many filters don't have these carbon filters and so don't protect against chemicals. Many of the filters on the maker that do have a carbon filter have such small filters that they are either useless or need changing very often.

We use a Swedish filter system that has 5.8kg of active carbon and this lasts for up to 400 customers before it needs replacing. It's also been independently tested to remove 99.97% of all dust and chemicals - no other filter system I know of has been independently tested.

Some of the poor quality filter systems I've seen on the market have a combined visible dust, invisible dust and active carbon filter that weighs less than 200grams. I fail to see how they can work effectively for more than a small number of customers.

Good filter systems are not cheap - approximately £1000. Although the unit we use can accept a second pipe and be used simultaneously on a second table (the cost is then £600 per table). But it's important to protect your health and a good investment. (Seat belts and airbags increase the cost of a car, but everyone accepts that safety cost).

"Technically it makes no difference if the air is extracted upwards, sidewards or downwards. I'd have a lot of fun with any Inspector that tried to convince me otherwise"

Hi,
as we stated in our post, the extractor mentioned "may well work" but it does not meet the Health and Safety Guidelines set out in document COSHH SR 13 that are followed by all local trading standards/environmental officials in the UK. You may have different regulations in Sweden but you could argue as much as you like with these officers, they will not accept anything other than the regulations they have to follow. Most, probably, would not know anything at all about the subject.
Your system sounds great and should be the norm in all Nail Bars etc but in most salons in the UK there is no extraction at all. In fact nearly every training institution does not even mention it during their course. We contacted virtually every one last year, one very reputable training school told us they "recommend that a window is left open"!
The extractor mentioned in the post is better than nothing but if there is a complaint or the local council officers pay a visit it would have to be replaced by one that complies with the document COSHH SR13.
Ambermist

Latest posts

Back