E-petition to enforce regulations for the nails and beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate your feedback but I am passionate about my work and hate the fact that places like this give our work a bad name (the old 'acrylics ruin your nails' myth etc) if there were regulations in place I would gladly pay to be regulated as it shows I care about what I do rather than just making money.

Having regulations in place is very unlikely to stop shoddy work. Many of the people out there who cut corners are qualified, and so under a registration scheme would still be able to carry on working.

Those of us that care about what we do already pay; we pay to be members of professional associations. I would not be happy paying another few hundred pounds a year to be registered on top of that. The fact is that regulation costs a lot of money to set-up, administrate and police, and as the sorts of risks associated with a bad manicure are in the grand scheme of things quite minor, it is highly unlikely to ever be workable or cost-effective.

Last edited:
Signed and shared on FB. every campaign has to start somewhere so you never know! X

I appreciate your feedback but I am passionate about my work and hate the fact that places like this give our work a bad name (the old 'acrylics ruin your nails' myth etc) if there were regulations in place I would gladly pay to be regulated as it shows I care about what I do rather than just making money.

Like you, I am passionate about my work. Having worked in this industry for many years, I thought I would update my qualifications to the UK standards by doing an NVQ. (All my current certificates are from abroad)

OMG! What an eye opener! That very same myth that you quoted above has been TAUGHT to us at college. The same tutor explained how our nails need to breathe. We are taught nothing about hygiene, the same sponges used in manicures, pedicures and facials "sterilised" in a UV cabinet.
BUT we will all leave with an NVQ qualification. Not worth the paper it is written on. I think this is where regulations need to start.

Regulation is always a blunt instrument. Under Bromley council, we all have to be checked and licenced. They don't accept one day courses, CND courses, and certain short courses. You'd think I'd be bouncing around happy eh?
They also had no tick box for my C&G certs, gained in the 80's. After a lot of tooing and froing, they accepted them. I also had HABIA refuse my C&G Mastercraftsmen, and insist I needed an NVQ2 in hairdressing!!!
Until all qualifications are standardised, regulation won't happen, and if standardisation means telling someone with a superior qualification that they need to go back to college for a basic one, well my guess is that you'll get a big, fat, NO.

Also the e-petition is just the start of a huge campaign to not only try for regulations etc but to educate the public giving them the facts so that they can make the right decisions. It won't happen overnight and the e-petition will be running for the next 12 months. Any ideas that any of you have in order for us to be taken seriously including shock tactics will be greatly appreciated

I think educating the general will help too. Not one of my friends or clients were aware that the industry is not regulated, if more people knew and were aware of the risks they might be more selective in what kind of salons they go to for treatments.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Regulation is always a blunt instrument. Under Bromley council, we all have to be checked and licenced. They don't accept one day courses, CND courses, and certain short courses. You'd think I'd be bouncing around happy eh?
They also had no tick box for my C&G certs, gained in the 80's. After a lot of tooing and froing, they accepted them. I also had HABIA refuse my C&G Mastercraftsmen, and insist I needed an NVQ2 in hairdressing!!!
Until all qualifications are standardised, regulation won't happen, and if standardisation means telling someone with a superior qualification that they need to go back to college for a basic one, well my guess is that you'll get a big, fat, NO.

This is a concern for me as I have invested a fortune in CND training and I would hate for it to be a waste.

This is a concern for me as I have invested a fortune in CND training and I would hate for it to be a waste.

It won't be a waste you will still learn loads but unfortunately you can't use it for a special treatments licence, it isn't accepted because it's an ITEC. It must be an nvq for a licence. So if you want your own salon you would need to do a good old nvq (or equivalent)

It won't be a waste you will still learn loads but unfortunately you can't use it for a special treatments licence, it isn't accepted because it's an ITEC. It must be an nvq for a licence. So if you want your own salon you would need to do a good old nvq (or equivalent)

I don't think I want a whole salon but I would like to have a little room or work from home, or just go abroad with my ITEC. My local college don't do a nail NVQ so that's why I didn't go to them in the first place.

I don't think I want a whole salon but I would like to have a little room or work from home, or just go abroad with my ITEC. My local college don't do a nail NVQ so that's why I didn't go to them in the first place.

Ah then ITEC will be ideal for you!

Ah then ITEC will be ideal for you!

Phew. I does panick me that one day someone will go nope sorry no NVQ no nails for you.

Phew. I does panick me that one day someone will go nope sorry no NVQ no nails for you.

It's possible I guess. But honestly i think the think ITEC is a great qualification if anything they should include that in the list of courses that they will accept for licences.

Also every borough is different, but most of the London ones require a licence for nails but some outside London don't!

It's possible I guess. But honestly i think the think ITEC is a great qualification if anything they should include that in the list of courses that they will accept for licences.

Also every borough is different, but most of the London ones require a licence for nails but some outside London don't!

Im in Hertfordshire so I will have to look into it, but hopefully invoke just to work for me. :D

Like you, I am passionate about my work. Having worked in this industry for many years, I thought I would update my qualifications to the UK standards by doing an NVQ. (All my current certificates are from abroad)

OMG! What an eye opener! That very same myth that you quoted above has been TAUGHT to us at college. The same tutor explained how our nails need to breathe. We are taught nothing about hygiene, the same sponges used in manicures, pedicures and facials "sterilised" in a UV cabinet.
BUT we will all leave with an NVQ qualification. Not worth the paper it is written on. I think this is where regulations need to start.

The sponge thing got me! Im glad to be taught at a higher standard than that! Im doing a VRQ its all regulated (if thats the correct word to use) by HABIA and City & Guilds have very tight guidelines on hygiene and health and safety practices among other things like client care and data protection.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

The sponge thing got me! Im glad to be taught at a higher standard than that! Im doing a VRQ its all regulated (if thats the correct word to use) by HABIA and City & Guilds have very tight guidelines on hygiene and health and safety practices among other things like client care and data protection.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

It is the City & Guilds that I am doing at college. I guess it's only as good as the college that teaches you. Or who checks up on this side of things.

It's quite frightening that our tutors don't know the difference between sterilise, sanitise and disinfect.

I could say more, seriously, your hair would stand on end!

I was thinking of something like needing your insurance certificate to be up to date with the local council etc, as no qualification no insurance. But it seems that some of the education is poor. Maybe there should be some sort of separate standard test we all need to pass(including NSS) to trade this would include things like health and safety, disinfection, sanitation and sterilisation, how to wash towels and that type of thing. Ie a salon health and safety course to keep up to date with in order to gain insurance. It is amazing the difference in the standards of education!

Latest posts

Back