E-petition to enforce regulations for the nails and beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach Dilks

Reaction score
I have created an e-petition to enforce regulations for nail and beauty salons in the UK. If the petition gets at least 100,00 e-signatures it will be debated in the house of commons. Please sign the petition so that we as professionals can fight for a regulated industry.

inforce regulations on nail and beauty salons - e-petitions

Signed. Great idea. Has anything like this been done before?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Signed :) hopefully it will reach the target!!! X

Thank you. I'm not sure I hope we can make a difference.

Done!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's great thank you. If you could share the link on your Facebook and Twitter pages etc that would be great also feel free to add it to your websites

Signed and shared on Facebook!! ❤️❤️👊

These have been done before and usually not much happens. There are groups that have been trying for decades and it doesn't change.
Education. Is our only bet at standardizing the industry. If we keep pushing and educating everyone at the same level then things wouldn't come into question. I personally feel that insurance companies could be more diligent in asking for proof of training and enforcing a better standard for coverage.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

These have been done before and usually not much happens. There are groups that have been trying for decades and it doesn't change.
Education. Is our only bet at standardizing the industry. If we keep pushing and educating everyone at the same level then things wouldn't come into question. I personally feel that insurance companies could be more diligent in asking for proof of training and enforcing a better standard for coverage.

I couldn't agree more, I've lost count of how many of these petitions I have signed over the years!
There was even an MP who tried to raise this issue as a private members bill in parliament a few years ago and nothing came of that.

I don't want to be negative and do commend anyone trying to help our Industry.

What kind of regulations do you want to see brought in? Bringing in regulations to standardise qualifications would be a minefield, would experienced 20 year veterans who have only ever done training with product companies and who have forgotten more than someone with an NVQ qualification will ever know, be forced to pay for and get this qualification?
Who would regulate, and more importantly who would enforce all of this.

Also regarding this particular petition, have you evidence of this "butchering" and "dirty NSS salons"
I really think you need to word things like this in a less inflammatory and scaremongering way if you want to get the Industry behind you on this.

Just some things to discuss rather than everyone just posting...I've signed ;)

Really? Oh I see, I did a search on the HM government e-petition site and couldn't find any history maybe if we all sign and share on Facebook then it will help educate others. I'm going to create a post on my page with links to e-petition and my tumblr blog on my website (this states what to look for in a salon and what to avoid) if we all share this on twitter and Facebook etc maybe it will help educate the general public as well as getting lots of signatures for the e-petition at the same time. If we all unite with this someone has to listen one day.

Also the e-petition is just the start of a huge campaign to not only try for regulations etc but to educate the public giving them the facts so that they can make the right decisions. It won't happen overnight and the e-petition will be running for the next 12 months. Any ideas that any of you have in order for us to be taken seriously including shock tactics will be greatly appreciated

I haven't signed, and I shan't be signing it either! Besides the minefield of setting a minimum standard, and let's face it a lot of bad work is actually carried out by qualified people, there's enough expense in running a business as it is, I really don't want to be paying annual registration fees on top of the rest of my outgoings.

Considering the extremely low risk involved in our industry, I suspect voluntary regulation is the most you'll ever get.

i'm supportive... i will sign, although i'm not sure what good it will do... i think naturally more and more standards will be brought in within our industry anyway when there are more and more cock ups and horror stories, over the last 20 years there have been more and more rules, regulations and qualifications so it is happening, it's just a very slow process.

Just as an aside- can you change the title on the petition of it to "Enforce" not inforce.... just a pet peeve of mine. We want to be taken seriously so let's getting the spelling correct.:wink2:

Also the e-petition is just the start of a huge campaign to not only try for regulations etc but to educate the public giving them the facts so that they can make the right decisions. It won't happen overnight and the e-petition will be running for the next 12 months. Any ideas that any of you have in order for us to be taken seriously including shock tactics will be greatly appreciated

We may have better chances of ensuring every tech is armed with proper education. There are many vets in the industry that have been dedicating their time in helping NSS to upgrade their knowledge and working standards and that is the best route. Getting the people who work in this industry to realize that they are better off improving their skills and knowledge rather than trying to make the public aware of what to avoid.
Politics are a $ itch and if you aim to discredit and shut down NSS you are looked at as petty. It won't work. Sorry to be so negative. Education for all and the same education for all, at par.

i'm supportive... i will sign, although i'm not sure what good it will do... i think naturally more and more standards will be brought in within our industry anyway when there are more and more cock ups and horror stories, over the last 20 years there have been more and more rules, regulations and qualifications so it is happening, it's just a very slow process.

Just as an aside- can you change the title on the petition of it to "Enforce" not inforce.... just a pet peeve of mine. We want to be taken seriously so let's getting the spelling correct.:wink2:

Yes the spelling is wrong on the title I tried to get this put right but it can't be changed auto correct on phones for you! So I am stuck with it. Really annoying as I noticed as it was posting 😡

Yes the spelling is wrong on the title I tried to get this put right but it can't be changed auto correct on phones for you! So I am stuck with it. Really annoying as I noticed as it was posting 😡

Ah damn!

I haven't signed, and I shan't be signing it either! Besides the minefield of setting a minimum standard, and let's face it a lot of bad work is actually carried out by qualified people, there's enough expense in running a business as it is, I really don't want to be paying annual registration fees on top of the rest of my outgoings.

Considering the extremely low risk involved in our industry, I suspect voluntary regulation is the most you'll ever get.

I appreciate your feedback but I am passionate about my work and hate the fact that places like this give our work a bad name (the old 'acrylics ruin your nails' myth etc) if there were regulations in place I would gladly pay to be regulated as it shows I care about what I do rather than just making money.

Signed and shared on Facebook :)

Latest posts

Back