eBay problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi geeks-didn't know who else to ask!
I sold some nail varnish remover on eBay and the buyer has contacted me today saying it has leaked. They haven't said if it's the whole bottle or what but what can I do I can't send a replacement I'm not some kind of stockist lol!
I haven't replied yet, I don't know what to say? It was sealed when I sent it theres not much I can do I don't want to refund as it's not actually my fault is it?
Any ideas what I can reply to the person?
Thankyou x😕

unfortunately that's the risk you take when selling on ebay. Products are your responsibility until they reach the buyer.

I've learnt the hard way that 9 times out of 10 ebay always side with the buyer!

Think you will have to refund on this occasion.

Ebay will favour the seller in this incident I am afraid so you may as well refund and avoid bad feeback. Ebays attitude is that the seller is responsible for the item until the buyer receives it. Ask the seller to send you a photograph of the item and the packing. You may be able to make a claim with the Royal Mail.

I ordered a liquid on ebay and the seller only put it in a padded envelope rather than a box. When I received it it had leaked through a crack in the plastic bottle. I would say that a heavy box had been placed on it during the mailing process and it caused a crack in the bottle which leaked in the envelope.

I got a refund from the seller who in turn got a refund from An Post. The buyer cannot make the claim directly with An Post/Royal Mail. Only the seller can do that.

Ok Thankyou, I wrapped the bottle in bubble, then in a box and surrounded by more bubble! So annoying!
I will ask for a pic thanks for your help x

Ok so he's said he's taken pics but he doesn't know how to attach them to an eBay email?, argh I tried to send my normal email address so he could send them to that but eBay won't let me send my email address what a bloody nightmare!
I do want proof though cod I know people just try it on!
X

Just to add to this .Not sure how you sent this to him but Are you aware that the Royal mail actually forbid the shipping of this item as it is classed as hazardous goods ?

So if it has in fact leaked if you try to claim off Royal mail ( if thats who you used ) you could find yourself in more trouble than you bargained for !

I hope you used a courier and declared the item

Just saying :)

Last edited:
I used Royal Mail and the post office asked what was in the box-I didn't lie they said nothing when I told them! I wasn't aware it was banned, I thought they would put a flammable sticker on it but they didn't!

Its very simple to attach a photo to ebay to show you,you literally attach it, i did it recently and i am rubbish with tech nology, id say he was trying it on,prole now aadays,i wont use ebay unless its pick up only, too msny dishonest people have ruined it for us legit ones!

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

So would he just have to right click and insert photo? I use eBay on my phone and iPad so really not sure if he's on a computer how he would do it! Obviously I've got to explain it to him! 😕 thankyou

Even if the buyer sends a photo of a half empty bottle it doesn't mean it's leaked. Unfortunately I've had experience with a few cheeky buyers in the past who 'manipulate' products once they have arrived so they can get a refund. eBay always back the buyer so they will probably auto refund anyway if you don't.

If the postage wasn't much I'd ask them to return it. At least you'll have some of your product back then.

I got photos of the packaging which looked soaked! But in the background I could see the bottle and it was still 3/4 full. One refunded the sale price so hope he's happy with that, I don't want to refund the price for p&p as this wasn't my fault, obviously Royal Mail are too rough with parcels! I still paid for he packaging etc. thanks geeks.

Latest posts

Back