Economical use out of your spatulas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-beauty

Reaction score
For those of you that use hot wax (or Non strip) or in fact even strip! How do you follow the health and safety guide line while getting economical use out of your spatulas?

I know that you’re never ment to double dip because of spotting and the contamination that would cause.

But I have seen in salons that I have worked in that they don’t throw the spatula away with every dip! They Just use a new one for every client.

My ex boss reason for this was that her over heads where to high!

so I guess what I am asking is how do we keep our clients safe, while achieving maxim economical use and outstanding RESULTS

is it even possible to attain all three, or do you really have to let standers slip in certain areas:eek::eek:

whould love to know your thoughs on this
!!

slightly off thread ... but just to let you know i saw a flyer sallys have a buy one get one free on their wooden spatulas

kx

hey all the salons i have worked in dont use a new spatular everytime they dip just for every differant client unless the client bleeds then would definatley change the spatular mid wax so as not to cause any contamination! hth xx

ok, i use a new spatula for every client.

reason being;

1. it would take longer to throw away and replace the spatula with every dip
2. the amount of times i dip a spatula, could be anywhere between 10 - 30 times per service (depending what area) i would be going through 5 boxes a day!! lol
3. you shouldn't be applying wax over an area that has blood spots anyway.

so thats my opinion on the matter!

Last edited:
In a perfect world you should use a new spatula for every dip, and a box of 100 does only cost £1. But its hard to a) educate yourself to do this or b) to really really justify it!

I think theres very very few incidents of people becoming poorley from cross contamination.

If you follow certain rules then you can reduce the risk to your clients. What Kate lisa says about not going over the same area is one as well as throwing the spatula away should you get blood on it.

I do use a new spatula every dip though for underarms and bikinis/brazilians etc as the area is prone to higher bacteria levels as well as sweat. To reduce the cost I split them in half so you can get more value for money.

I also change my wax liner every 4-6 weeks to a new one so that bacteria isnt breeding away for years.

Kate

slightly off thread ... but just to let you know i saw a flyer sallys have a buy one get one free on their wooden spatulas

kx

thanks for information :hug:

ok, i use a new spatula for every client.

reason being;

1. it would take longer to throw away and replace the spatula with every dip..is so true, and i slow at waxing anyway!
2. the amount of times i dip a spatula, could be anywhere between 10 - 30 times per service (depending what area) i would be going through 5 boxes a day!! lol - good point!!
3. you shouldn't be applying wax over an area that has blood spots anyway....Very true, but i have seen many that dont stick by this:eek:

so thats my opinion on the matter!

Thank you for your thoughts:hug:

In a perfect world you should use a new spatula for every dip, and a box of 100 does only cost £1. But its hard to a) educate yourself to do this or b) to really really justify it! i am just in the process of opening a salon, and your right it is so hard to justify!!!

I think theres very very few incidents of people becoming poorley from cross contamination.

If you follow certain rules then you can reduce the risk to your clients. What Kate lisa says about not going over the same area is one as well as throwing the spatula away should you get blood on it.

I do use a new spatula every dip though for underarms and bikinis/brazilians etc as the area is prone to higher bacteria levels as well as sweat. To reduce the cost I split them in half so you can get more value for money...thanks thats a great idea!

I also change my wax liner every 4-6 weeks to a new one so that bacteria isnt breeding away for years...Good point!!! :eek:

Kate

thank you for you input! :hug:

Hi hun, I use a fresh spatula each time I dip, it's the way I was taught. I also break my spatulas in half to maximise them, and then in half again for eyebrows and smaller, hard to reach areas. It is difficult to justify sometimes, especially when you have a full leg to do :) but they are really cheap in comparison to what you (I) charge for the service. I also cut up my wax strips too. :) xx
Posted via Mobile Device

I use wooden spatula's for intimate waxing and do not double dip.

I use a large metal spatula for body waxing and I use a clean one for each client but I do double dip.

Latest posts

Back