Eczema on my scalp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyb1975

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can give me some help.

For a little while now I have been suffering from a little eczema on my scalp, particularly through the bottom section.

I generally use professional shampoos and conditioners but also occassionally supermarket brands but this doesn't usually make a difference.

I live in Australia so we're just finishing up summer but I can't remember whether it cleared up during winter last year but then again I was pregnant so everything was weird when it came to my hair and skin. I do remember having it happening before I became pregnant too.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to rid myself of this? I don't suffer from eczema anywhere else. I showed my hairdresser today but she didn't really have many suggestions besides not pulling my hair up too tight and if it gets worse see my doctor.

Do you think if I switch over to an all natural shampoo and conditioner it would help?

Many thanks in advance.

Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
i have two home remedies that will help with the dry itchyness but may not cure the problem, i aint a doctor this is jus from personal experience. . . . put virgin olive oil on the scalp and leave to soak fir a bit and then shampoo out. .
also get natural oatmeal and soak in a piece of material in warm water, a bit like a giant tea bag, and let it cool . . the water should now be really cloudy and milky. . . after shampooing pour the solution over the scalp and massage and leave that to soak in, the natural oils and softening ingredients in the oatmeal will sooth itching and mouisturise both hair and scalp. . .
hope this eases it a bit for ya xx

JOICO do a good shampoo for all types of scalp problems including eczema... which is safe to use on coloured hair too, (as most shampoo`s prescribed by the doc will add to colour fade)
its called daily care treatment shampoo.. they have a offer on at the min a box set called facial for your scalp, were u get the shampoo and three mini bottles of treatment lotion, which has to be left on 20 mins or over night if you wish, ive had good feedback from my customers about it.

but i recommend a visit to your doc or the local pharmacy to get it diagnosed properly thats if you haven't already..

naturals not always best either and im sure they say that cutting down on dairy products in your diet may help to..

google eczema and read up on it...

good luck x

Thanks Bexster and Scottdolly for your suggestions,

I will have a look at that Joico product you mentioned, and I am always up for trying home remedies so i'll give the olive oil and oatmeal a go too.

Cheers :)

Hi, missyb
with it just being on the lower scalp it could just be something you are reacting to in a shampoo you have been using,
there may have been traces left behind which has irritated the scalp ,

when you shampoo your hair and put on the concentrated shampoo
do you lean over the bath and apply it undiluted on the lower section first ?....

if so then this would explain why it may happening more in one particular area of the scalp .... perhaps a milder shampoo like suggested above but.... always dilute it first in a cup of warm water and pour it all over so its not as concentrated in the one area

but if you wash your hair in the shower it could be due to the concentrated shampoo residue flowing
downward toward the lower part of the scalp,
a lot of people would never notice this problem as they dont have sensitive scalps .....
but quite a few others do notice it ..... and they are the ones who have sensitive scalps too,
and the teeniest shampoo residue left behind would be enough to flare it all back up again.

So if anyone has a sensitive scalp the teeniest traces of chemicals left behind in certain shampoos can really irritate affected areas
so after wetting your hair dilute the shampoo as suggested and pour it all over rather than starting in the one area,

and when you get to that final rinse stage ...... just when you think you have rinsed it enough re rinse it all over again concentrating on the affected parts of the scalp
all this extra rinsing will get rid of any traces of these chemicals in certain shampoos
which may be the cause of the vicious circle of problems,

I hope that made sense :) minky

Redken do a range of shampoos and treatments specific to scalp problems. I would rec the one to soothe an inflamed scalp. There is also leave in booster drops which work amazingly well.

i have two home remedies that will help with the dry itchyness but may not cure the problem, i aint a doctor this is jus from personal experience. . . . put virgin olive oil on the scalp and leave to soak fir a bit and then shampoo out. .
also get natural oatmeal and soak in a piece of material in warm water, a bit like a giant tea bag, and let it cool . . the water should now be really cloudy and milky. . . after shampooing pour the solution over the scalp and massage and leave that to soak in, the natural oils and softening ingredients in the oatmeal will sooth itching and mouisturise both hair and scalp. . .
hope this eases it a bit for ya xx

I can vouch for the oatmeal. I get patches of all over and an oatmeal bath really sorts it out. And it's cheap.

What shampoo do you use? I get reactions to different products and shampoos. Try a few mild ones and if you find one that you don't react to - stick to it!

Latest posts

Back