education - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautified21

Reaction score
Hi, i wrote a post a while ago as i was confused about which route to go down training wise, as im a total newbie.

I decided on the nvq2 course at my local college, so off i went today, to enrol. First stumbling block.... turns out because i got 5 gcse's grade a-c thats actually classed as an nvq level 2 equivalent, so low and behold i still have to do the nvq2 class(totally understand why i cant jump straight to level 3) but i also have to pay the full whack for this.

Anyway i've come away from college in a bit of a daze, £300 lighter from the deposit. as wasnt really expecting this and was under a lot of pressure as this was the last place on the fast track course...

After getting home and not really sure if i've done the right thing or not, i know for a fact that beauty is what i want to do.... i suppose my question is, is this the best way to do it, or am i spending an awful lot of money to be trained when i could do it with the same results in a cheaper way.

Ie.... train in mani and pedi, then do the nail related things after that which is mainly what i want to do, then tans, lashes and waxing....??

My friend did beauty 2 years ago and didnt even pay half of what i paid at the same college.

I just cant get over that if i had got grade D or below in my gcse's this course would of been free...!!

Im sorry if i sound a bit like im stamping my feet a little, does anyone have any advice for me, should i do the little bits and pieces that im really interested in seperately and at my own pace, should i apply to a beauty salon as a jumior and they might put me through relevant training(probably doesnt work this way with beauty though) or should i just bite the bullet and get on with it? Im probably a little more fussed because its something iv not budgetted for this month, and iv got two littlies to think about too.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
x

Are you not elligible for any funding at all? If you are claiming any benefits you may be entitled to some fee remission. I was 23 when I did my level 2 and in ft work, but on low wage, so I was able to get a reduction in costs and some towards my kit and uniform too. Its always worth asking. As for short courses, you may end up paying a lot more in course fees in the long run x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Hi there...is this a full time course? Also, are you a lone parent, or on working and child tax credits? Or not working?

I say this, because for low income families, you should get funding for this.

I have never heard that GCSE's of D abd below entitle people to funding??!!

I got 1 A, 1 B and 6 Cs in my GCSE's. I still got funding .

My friend got funding, even though her husband works full time, because of low income. They judge that from what tax credits you have.x

hi ladies thank u for taking the time to reply, it just seems ludicrous that im classed as already done a nvq level 2 because of my gcse results, if id of done rubbish id of got full funding as it would of been my first nvq level 2!

im 25 (aged 19-24) i would of got it paid for, households on tax credits under £15k id of got 50% off, and my hubby gets just above that on his own, im not on jobseekers or income support im currently self employed. I might go to the college im supposed to be going to tomorrow and see what they say.

I just feel a bit pressured as they was really pushing that it was the last place, so i couldnt come home and talk about it, or consider my options i felt like i had to do it there and then, dont get me wrong, i know it was my own decision and no one forced me to....

was so excited about today, and was so excited when i got the place, then these other things are holding me back and spoiling what should be an amazing day and result!

hi ladies thank u for taking the time to reply, it just seems ludicrous that im classed as already done a nvq level 2 because of my gcse results, if id of done rubbish id of got full funding as it would of been my first nvq level 2!

im 25 (aged 19-24) i would of got it paid for, households on tax credits under £15k id of got 50% off, and my hubby gets just above that on his own, im not on jobseekers or income support im currently self employed. I might go to the college im supposed to be going to tomorrow and see what they say.

I just feel a bit pressured as they was really pushing that it was the last place, so i couldnt come home and talk about it, or consider my options i felt like i had to do it there and then, dont get me wrong, i know it was my own decision and no one forced me to....

was so excited about today, and was so excited when i got the place, then these other things are holding me back and spoiling what should be an amazing day and result!

Hi hun, I was in a similar boat, I'd done an NVQ2 in bus technologies. Then lost my licence to drive a bus after an RTA (the other persons fault) So I'm on the BTEC which costs way more, but is fully funded for peeps who are on housing or council tax benefit or on working tax credits. It's a 2 year course, but seeing as I wanted to do the nvq 2 & 3 that was fine with me.
I have to say I don't understand your colleges interpretation because at MK college and Bedford college you have to have 3 grade c or better gcse's to be offered a place!
The government have made so many last minute changes to college courses this year that I think many places are not sure what is current and what isn't. Have a chat with the welfare department of the college tomorrow and see if they can sort something out, good luck xx

Hiya thank u, i will ring up tomorrow and see what they say although i did question it a few times, on there little table, gcse's grade d or above, 4 i think was the minimum, was their equivalent of a nvq level 2....

so in theory they are saying i should be on nvq level 3 as iv done level 2... however in reality that doesnt wrk because i didnt learn how to wax brows on my gcse english exams...!!

:( rubbish, on such a downer now, £1080 seems ridiculous for a 27 week course (the full years course was the same price i havent paid more to do it fast track, its just classed as this because its two days a week instead of 1 night)

Hiya thank u, i will ring up tomorrow and see what they say although i did question it a few times, on there little table, gcse's grade d or above, 4 i think was the minimum, was their equivalent of a nvq level 2....
equivalent is not the same, drives me crazy, and it's not in the right subject!!!
so in theory they are saying i should be on nvq level 3 as iv done level 2... however in reality that doesnt wrk because i didnt learn how to wax brows on my gcse english exams...!!

you should have gone to school in the 70's, we all learned to do body piercings with a safety pin:D
:( rubbish, on such a downer now, £1080 seems ridiculous for a 27 week course (the full years course was the same price i havent paid more to do it fast track, its just classed as this because its two days a week instead of 1 night)
The BTEC is £4500 for the 2 years, but it covers everything, the funding can't be revoked so I'm safe :Scared: and it's open book exams, I have the worst memory in the world so this suits me better. All I've had to pay is the exams them selves which is £200 for the whole lot.
It won't hurt to ask if you can change and if they don't do the BTEC scout around for other colleges. I actually live in Northampton, but my local college doesn't run the BTEC, so MK it is, and the welfare department have given me a bursary to help with my travel costs. They have been so helpful. What a difference from school!!

iv never heard of the btec one, especially not that costs that much, is it a uni course or a college, my local one and the big one near to me dont do this, its all nvq 2/3

Im seriously considering doing things in this order....

mani/pedi
shellac & minx
tans
lashes
then moving on to gel
then possibly extensions
then after all this the waxing course....
would of done it this way in the first place but was just worried that not having the 'nvq' would hold me back in anyway,
and i thought id done my research :(

Oh hun it is awful you felt pressured so basdly :(

For that kind of money, you could have done CND course in L&P and gel and had money left over towards a waxing course with Kim Lawless :(

I know, am gonna ring up tomorrow, think what was why I was in tears cos I felt a bit pressured and didn't know what to do on the spot, but not just me to think about iv got two litle ladies to feed too, it will all work out though, life has a funny way of doing that xx

i got a vtct course with Gcse As, Bs and a c! not this year though!
i know funding has really been cut down this year. its due to people doing the courses and then just working cash in hand, or dropping out, rather than going back to work with the qualifications they gained.
They are only accepting job seekers or ESA here! No child tax credits, housing, income support etc! no books, kits, petrol, uniform funding!
im vtct level 2 & 3 qualified with other practioners diplomas. im signed up to do 21 wks in vtct nail tech for nov £344. but dont know how much extra kits will cost? id already enrolled before i joined salongeek. Had i not id have done a cnd course, waxing with kim lawless and gone from there. im going to do them anyway ontop, just as i think id benefit lots training with the best

This is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. Ever. As far as I am aware...you cannot do an NVQ in English or maths etc. So how dare they say you have already achieved an NVQ2! GCSE's count for very little in this world. NVQs etc are needed. They are robbing you!

Are you not able to go back and say you are not able to afford it? And train bit by bit in other places? Such as CND. Sally's do individual training days throughout the year. I wouldn't say these onee day courses are enough really....but I found training at college about as usefull as them at times!

I don't know what changes the government have made recently...but from what I have seen on here, they are going too far on the ridiculous scale.x

Hiya, have been on the phone twice today with no joy, and not allowed a refund :( the worst thing Is il still have to pay for nail training separate as beauty doesn't cover that, o feel so silly and such a mug that I couldn't just walk out, but I wanted to do it so bad and was petrified this last place was going to be gone! When I got to the final stage, the man putting me on to the course had a problem as there was 12 out of 12 spaces filled, so he disappeared off, n said not to worry and still put me on it anyway, which really makes me feel like they was wanting my money and quickly! I'm just going to have to learn from this and not do any more college course, il complete level 2 and then from there do the Cnd training, at least il get the basic mani / pedi / waxing n tinting out of it and slightly touch on make up! Thanks everyone who took the time to write me a reply xx I best make sure I'm bloody good at what I do, it's an expensive 27 weeks xx

Hi, I am new to this beauty also and I have been reading your thread about your dilemma about how to get qualified. I have noticed that some of the colleges in my area are advertising that if you do not have NVQ level 2 it is free for you to do a course, my understanding is that what the government is trying to do is get everyone to have that basic level of qualification. It's silly because people such as You and I get penalised for wanting to better yourself but are restricted because of our circumstances.

I work full time and I have done one day courses here and there which works out a lot more and longer to get fully qualified, reading the comments I have noticed that a few people has mentioned CND, what is this course?

I hope everything works out well for you.

As far as I am aware Cnd are highly recognised in the nail industry and training from them is also highly thought of. Not just the reputation but iv read nothing but good things for the way the courses are run. Even after the college course il prob do manicure with them and then all my nail training too. Plus shellac and minx are there products. Have a look on sweet squared website. Feel a bit of a hypocrite giving this advice considering my dilemma lol if iv missed anything out I'm sure someone with far more experience will correct me.

That's what the lady today said, the government won't fund anyone who is already classed as level two standard, madness! Yet in all my literature and prospectus it doesn't really state it clearly it just says 'ages 19 or over funding is free for first full nvq 2 course'

Xx

I also went to college to enrol today on a manicure course at a cost of £150 which I was told I had to do before I could do the nail tech course which is £300 +£60 for the kit there's also a pedicure course which is £150 which I was told I didn't have to do! Well I was totally misinformed I have to do the Mani and pedi course and buy the kit which is £65 which I wasn't told about and £300 for the nail tech course and an extra £155 for the kit for that Which I wasnt told about! or I could do beauty therapy for 12 months for free which covers mani and pedi because i don't have a level 2 qualification and pay £155 for the kit and then do the nail tech course in feb 2013 which sounds so far away! I left so confused not knowing what to do :-(

That's what the lady today said, the government won't fund anyone who is already classed as level two standard, madness! Yet in all my literature and prospectus it doesn't really state it clearly it just says 'ages 19 or over funding is free for first full nvq 2 course'

Xx

i think this is what you are meaning from the college 'rules'
Level 2 & 3 Entitlement

i was told that i was very lucky to get in on this entitlement, not because of my grades (8 straight grades Es, first year to do GCSEs and whole year marked 2 grades lower by mistake) but due to my age as i am 40 this school year.

Latest posts

Back