Egypt holiday advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey my lovely geek family!

I'm sooooo stressed looking for a holiday to Egypt. I'm tearing my hair out!!

I've never been, I'm going with my two children aged 22 & 18.
We going to fly from Gatwick.
Looking for 5 star all inclusive in Sharm el sheikh. Want a relaxing holiday maybe 1 or 2 excursions.

I keep going back and forth between travel websites and trip advisor!
I'm not keen on naama Bay Area and the recent reviews are really bad.
I'm looking for hotels near soho square.
But people have said good and bad about that too, that the area is too quiet.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in sharm?

I stayed at the Sharm grand Plaza, and loved it. Sharms quite a small place, so everything is easily accessible. All the hotels lay on courtesy busses, so don't stress about getting around.
It depends on budget really. Our hotel was brilliant value, but the Hilton and four seasons look beautiful, albeit far more expensive.

Is it safe to go now? After all the wars, ect? Xxx

Beleza Beauty ♥

Sharms very safe. I wouldn't be concerned about going. It's like me. Saying don't go to Scotland as there's a riot in London.
Sharm is a very long way from Cairo.

Have you had a look at the sensatori? We stayed there in September and it was beautiful. I wouldn't worry about any trouble, when we went they were considering canceling our holiday as it was 'at its worst' but it was absolutely fine, and as someone said sharm is a long way from Cairo. To be honest, i wouldn't look for a busy area to stay in. Everywhere is a close taxi journey, however we only went outside of the hotel once (aside from soho square and a few excursions) it was the most terrifying experience of my life! They are so desperate for custom now they will literally do anything to get you into their shops. I went with my mum, so we felt very vulnerable. They were trying to grab us and when we ignored them we got called 'snobby b*tches' and all sorts. Soho square is lovely, and where we spent most of our nights. And of course you have to go snorkeling! xx

Oh yeah, the snorkelling is amazing. Wish I could scuba

I'm going in July were staying in the coral aqua looks amazing and all the reviews are positive . I was however disappointed that I can't go to Cairo to see pyramids as that's why I booked it. But it still looks amazing and can't wait to go :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've heard lots about soho square, Naama bay seems to have worst reviews!

The trouble don't seem to effect sharms.

Is it not safe to go out of your resort?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I went to sharm six weeks ago all the excursions are cancelled at the moment apart from boat trips as the ports are run by the army, the foreign office says it isn't safe to go on any other day trips. They were still offering trips to Cairo and Luxor though. I must admit I didn't feel that safe when leaving the hotel we stayed at the Baron resort. They checked under coaches for bombs before they enter the hotel gates and the hotel and there was security but I wouldn't go back. It was my second time in Egypt the first 5 years ago it was very different then.

Mmmmm that don't sound good.
Need choice of excursions.

Reading on website it says Russian tourist were taken out of the resort in feb/march but uk tour operators are still sending people there.

In two minds now, don't want that fear factor on holiday, want to able to move about freely, but couped up inside the hotel.

We stayed at sharks bay in Sharm, it was lovely, cant remember the name of the hotel we stayed at. We took our little girl 4 at the time and she loved it. There was lots of entertainment for the kids and pools so we didnt feel the need to leave our resort, although i had heard horrid stories from other guests about cairo and close towns by us so didnt want to risk it.
There was a little shop across the way from us selling allsorts so i thought to take a look and get my daughter a blow up dolphin for the pool, thinking it would only cost me about £10, they tried to charge us £50 so we walked out :evil:. Just be aware x

I've been going to Sharm for over 10 years and the security checks have always been in place and if you're in a taxi the police sometimes stop and check who you are. They take the tourist safety very seriously. Eqyptian people that are not residents of Sharm or have a work permit are not allowed in the resort. So don't worry. Look at the Oriental Resort. Good food, nice staff and one of the best beds I've ever slept in. Its in Nabaq and has a plaza opposite. Taxi to Naama Nay is about 10 mins away. My friend and hef hubby are there right now with tneir two kids under 10. They are all having a great time :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

ive been to the oriental 4 times! Great middle of the road hotel thats affordable and lovely food!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is the Oriental near soho square?
I've heard good reviews about it.

I went to Egypt a couple of years ago and stayed at the coral sea resort in Nabq Bay. Was lovely, couldn't fault the place. And it's not far from the airport or soho square. When you arrive at the airport, go to the right hand queue, not the left for the visa like they will try and make you do :) xx

Royal grand azure is amazing I would definitely advise going there I stayed there for 10 days and couldn't fault anything

Had a look at the above two hotel lovely reviews!!

I don't want a hotel near naama bay, as I've heard they hassle you a lot once you step outside.

I would prefer one near soho square.
I want to be able to step outside if I wana go for a stroll.

Thank you ladies for all your input.
Decided not to go Egypt as it's Ramadan the Muslim holy fasting month.

I was there during Ramadan hun, but it doesn't affect the hotels or tourists at all xx

I went in January, the Hilton sharks bay, the Savoy, and one beginning with C are a couple of minutes walk from Soho square. Soho square is nice, its not very big but things to do there. We made the mistake of going to Naama bay in the day it was better at night.

We went to the old market just for a nosey, to a water park, go karting, on a glass bottom boat.

Id imagine Sharm will be fine to go, it is purely a tourist destination. The only people who live there are workers.

We stayed at the Hilton in the deluxe rooms, the room wasn't on parr with what you'd expect from a Hilton but it was clean & the resort was lovely & well maintained. Found the shops near by were similar to english prices for things like drinks, milk, chocolate. A couple we met actually flew to Cario & said it was fine, just the bus trips there werent running.

Hotels provide shuttles to Naama bay but we always got a taxi for about £5 max.

We stopped at Nabq bay whilst picking someone up for an excursion it seemed to have quite abit around, shops, restaurants, etc. although that is the furthest point from Naama bay.

Xx

Latest posts

Back