Embarrassed and feel unprofessional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenfleur

Reaction score
I've not long started out and am still learning, and gaining confidence. I've had some advice from some lovely geeks on here on where I may be going wrong with the removal of gelish. Anyway, yesterday I went to a friends house to remove and reapply gelish (using the technique reccomended) I had bought a new lamp and was very excited to use it, I had been telling my friend how great it was as it was a 5 finger cure. There was also another lady at my friends who was willing to let me practice on too. I was struggling removing my friends gelish as I think I applied the foundation coat too thick, so that was a bit embarrassing. And then, her friend all prepped up and hand in the lamp, I went to turn it on and nothing! The lamp was not working at all- I Just wanted to cry, in front of my friend and her friend, I felt so embarrassed and unprofessional. I apologised and had to go home and get my old lamp. I got home and cried at my poor husband. I don't know if these people will ever let me do their nails again. They were pleased with the end result, but i felt awful. Please tell me it's worth it?

Aw don't let one little set back get you down. You managed to get through the treatment and had happy clients. That says you are actually pretty professional. Ok, in hindsight, you should have checked your equipment before leaving your house, but this could have happened at any time (a fuse could go, bulbs could die, etc), unless you take a spare lamp, spare fuses and spare bulbs with you, this could happen to anyone. This is the joys of mobile when you want to take the minimum equipment to make it easier to carry. Maybe you could take a spare lamp and leave it in your car in case this happens again. Unforeseen circumstances can happen, you are human, don't beat yourself up over it, you are allowed to reschedule if it comes to it! Your end result was happy clients so you've done your job😊

ah I do feel for u hun but it's really just a learning curve for you! ! we all make mistakes your only human! ! the clients will not hold it against you they probably had a little giggle about it not at you might I add !! when I first started mobile I used to leave stuff at my clients house then get to next and not have it and have to go back! ! my clients used to think it was hilarious! !! just trying to make you feel better as long as the end result is good and clients are happy with the service you provide and you've got their best interest at heart then the rest is just down to experience! ! it will come in time! chin up x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

We have all done things like that, don't worry if they liked their nails in the end I am sure they will have you again xxxxxxxx

Look at it this way ... If the boot were on the other foot and you were the client and your technician had a faulty lamp. Would you think SHE was unprofessional or would you you think ... Oh, she has a problem with her lamp?

Having a faulty lamp is nothing to do with you being professional or not.

Shame your lamp did not have a stand-by light to let you know right away that it wasn't working; it would have saved you both time, money and embarrassment.
All part of life's rich experience. You will laugh about it later and live to fight another day! :hug:

Thanks geeks, that's what I needed to hear! I did test the lamp the night before, and it was working, as it was brand new and from a reputable company, I really expected it to perform as it should. I just felt like such a such Wally talking about this new piece of equipment that I spent a lot of money on and was excited to use it! Now I have the hassle of sorting out returning the lamp!

I'm sure they were more impressed that you had a spare to fall back on.

Just a quick question, which lamp is the faulty 1 ??

I've got the 18G lamp & if you take the power cable out while a hand is in there, it turns off the auto sensor.
This fooled me once & I nearly cried thinking I'd broke it ..... I hadn't, just read the instruction manual again !!

Wonda, it's not the 18g led one. I've now phoned the company, and they are sending out a new one today, I knew there wouldn't be a problem getting another lamp sent out, as I only received it on Friday! They are a reputable company. The lamp had power to it, it's the panel that there must be a fault with as nothing is lighting up.
Geek, I am now thinking that if the boot were on the other foot I wouldn't think they were unprofessional! It was just the time that was an inconvenience to them, although they didn't ask if the could reschedule.
Thanks again.

lol i think we have all had a bad service or 2 in our time..

from forgetting my nail glue..to dropping a pot of black glitter i was mixing.. to actually forgetting my lamp..

yes i forgot my lamp .. felt such a numpty.. had a 20 min drive home and 20 min back to get it ..

think i had a major brain fart when packing my stuff.. as i had just put new bulbs in and left it on the table at home lol..

Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back