Embossed nails with Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi,
A fellow geek explained how to do embossed nails to me in shellac. (Can't remember who it was sorry)
I tried the same method with gelish but it didn't work at all :(
Has anyone successful done it in gelish?
Any tips would be fantastic.
Sam x

I've struggled with this as well so will be watching with interest, I struggle with foils in general but really want to master this as it looks so nice x

I've just mentioned this on the other thread so forgive me if you've seen it but I also would really like to do embossing and asked on another forum and someone recommended The Edge adhesive. I got on Friday and it is fab! You would still need to create the raised effect with a Gelish colour but a super thin layer of the adhesive over the are you want the foils to stick too is all you need. I haven't tested the longevity but it is a good way around it for me ;)

I've just mentioned this on the other thread so forgive me if you've seen it but I also would really like to do embossing and asked on another forum and someone recommended The Edge adhesive. I got on Friday and it is fab! You would still need to create the raised effect with a Gelish colour but a super thin layer of the adhesive over the are you want the foils to stick too is all you need. I haven't tested the longevity but it is a good way around it for me ;)

Thanks, I'll pop into capital tomorrow and see if I can pick some up.

I tried yesterday but the foil only stuck to half of the pattern id done and came out rubbish.
Fingers crossed the foil adhesive will do the trick
X

Following this as I tried it briefly in a colour pop. Thoroughly removed inhibition layer frim topcoat. Wiped with a dry wip to ensure it was totally dry, drew my design and cured, went to do the foil bit... it worked :) but it also stuck to the topcoat :( even though that wasn't sticky!! :( xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Interested in this as I've not got on well with it and so disappointed when I see how beautiful results can be.....what colour is everyone using to do outline, I've only tried black shadow

Interested in this as I've not got on well with it and so disappointed when I see how beautiful results can be.....what colour is everyone using to do outline, I've only tried black shadow

I tried black shadow too & it didn't come out :( xx

Following this as I tried it briefly in a colour pop. Thoroughly removed inhibition layer frim topcoat. Wiped with a dry wip to ensure it was totally dry, drew my design and cured, went to do the foil bit... it worked :) but it also stuck to the topcoat :( even though that wasn't sticky!! :( xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This happens to me also, is there any reason as to why, can't think where I'm going wrong :( x

Just out of curiosity, those of you using gelish and having problems....are you using uv or led? I tried again today with my led and when I rubbed the foil on the outline wasn't cured, I guess because its so much thicker to give raised look?!

Honest opinions please! Does this look embossed to you guys? I'm not sure it looks 3D enough. I've been staring at it all day ...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393442973.505639.jpg

Yes, I think so and love the colours. How did you manage not to get any foil where it shouldn't be? Even with the nail fully cleansed and dry I still get bits all over the place!

Yay! I'm going to have another play tomorrow to try get it looking a bit more 3D.

I did my base colour as normal and then drew my pattern on and cured (next time I'll do 2/3 layers to get it to stick out a bit more). Then TIO. Remove sticky layer and dry it - then I left it for a couple of minutes and did other colour pops. Went back and went over the black with foil glue by The Edge - waited for that to dry and then foiled it and TIO.

I did it!! One that I'm happy with! Dodgy lighting doesn't really do it justice. :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393512962.034566.jpg

Love it!!!
So did you use adhesive to do it? Xx

Yep! Step by step instructions ...

1. Do base coat as normal. Cure
2. Draw design on using thin dotting tool thingy (the Gelish was quite thick). Cure.
3. Go over design (this made it 3D). Cure.
4. TIO. Cure.
5. Wipe dispersion layer off & wipe with dry wipe to dry.
6. Go over design with The Edge foil glue using same dotting tool thingy. Let it dry.
7. Put foil on.
8. TIO and cure.

:)

2. Draw design on using thin dotting tool thingy (the Gelish was quite thick). Cure.
4. TIO. Cure.
6. Go over design with The Edge foil glue using same dotting tool thingy. Let it dry.
7. Put foil on.
8. TIO and cure.

Did you use black shadow to do the design? I think you may have the right idea in doing several thinner coats to get embossed look, will try again!

Did you use black shadow to do the design? I think you may have the right idea in doing several thinner coats to get embossed look, will try again!

Yep, it is drawn using Black Shadow. Let me know how you get on!

4. TIO. Cure.
7. Put foil on.
8. TIO and cure.

Thanks so much for this! Can I just ask whether you used your lamp to help the foil adhesive dry or whether you just waited? And if so how long did you wait?
I'm going to try this out again because, like others, I found that the foil also stuck to the TIO even though I had wiped tacky layer off.
xx

Thanks so much for this! Can I just ask whether you used your lamp to help the foil adhesive dry or whether you just waited? And if so how long did you wait?
I'm going to try this out again because, like others, I found that the foil also stuck to the TIO even though I had wiped tacky layer off.
xx

I don't use my lamp to cure the glue - it's air dry. I think others use UV lamps as it roughly takes 2 minutes for it to dry and if clients hands are in a lamp they can't get fluff and stuff on them! I use the 5-45 LED lamp and it only cures for 45 seconds at a time which isn't long enough for the glue to dry. I don't use much glue and I can tell when it's dry as it goes transparent. I find that using my desk lamp to see if the glue is dry helps a lot as in normal light it can look dry when it isn't.

When I take off the sticky layer I use a wipe with a lot of Cleanse and wipe over them twice. I don't skimp as I've found it doesn't remove the tacky layer properly. Dunno if that helps.

I don't use my lamp to cure the glue - it's air dry. I think others use UV lamps as it roughly takes 2 minutes for it to dry and if clients hands are in a lamp they can't get fluff and stuff on them! I use the 5-45 LED lamp and it only cures for 45 seconds at a time which isn't long enough for the glue to dry. I don't use much glue and I can tell when it's dry as it goes transparent. I find that using my desk lamp to see if the glue is dry helps a lot as in normal light it can look dry when it isn't.

When I take off the sticky layer I use a wipe with a lot of Cleanse and wipe over them twice. I don't skimp as I've found it doesn't remove the tacky layer properly. Dunno if that helps.

Thanks very much hun, will give it a try!! Xx

Latest posts

Back