Employees sharing work on social media?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all what is your take on employed staff sharing their work on social media?

I was never allowed at my previous salon and a couple of my employees have asked me.....I'm unsure how I feel about it. Therese end to be pros and cons for each side x

I only do it on my businesses Facebook page.... But does this fall into the new data protection laws coming out, on how you store your customers details?

Sounds like you need to decide on your policy and raise it at a staff meeting to ensure everybody fully understands the situation.
In some respects the situation has been taken out of your hands due to new data protection legislation being introduced. That might make it easier for you to raise the issue and point out that it’s the law and not just you being awkward.

Firstly, you need to ensure that clients sign a document allowing the salon to post their image to its social media pages. Secondly, insist that staff only post on the Salon pages and not on any personal pages, otherwise, it will become a disciplinary matter. If the staff do post pictures without seeking permission and a client complains via the legal route, it’s likely that you rather than the staff member who will be prosecuted.

Are you a member of the National Hairdressers Federation?
It’s worth joining in my opinion as they provide excellent guidance on a range of staff issues that you can refer to without having to be an expert in Human Resources.

If they want to put work on social media then insist they take pictures of it using a logo mat or similar. That way it shows it’s been done in your salon and they can’t pass it off as just theirs.

I have a very binding social media policy regarding anything to do with my salon, infringement of this can result in dismissal. It all started as I had a receptionist taking sexy selfies in reception and posting them online. Which thankfully highlighted the potential for things to be so much worse and I implemented the policy. No one can post anything to do with my business apart from the person in charge of social media.

Fantastic thankyou so much!

I'm not a member AcidPerm but I will be doing that tonight [emoji1]

Sounds like you need to decide on your policy and raise it at a staff meeting to ensure everybody fully understands the situation.
In some respects the situation has been taken out of your hands due to new data protection legislation being introduced. That might make it easier for you to raise the issue and point out that it’s the law and not just you being awkward.

Firstly, you need to ensure that clients sign a document allowing the salon to post their image to its social media pages. Secondly, insist that staff only post on the Salon pages and not on any personal pages, otherwise, it will become a disciplinary matter. If the staff do post pictures without seeking permission and a client complains via the legal route, it’s likely that you rather than the staff member who will be prosecuted.

Are you a member of the National Hairdressers Federation?
It’s worth joining in my opinion as they provide excellent guidance on a range of staff issues that you can refer to without having to be an expert in Human Resources.
Did you see this on the NHF site?

Recently had this issue with a member of staff. She's just handed her notice in as she's going self employed somewhere else. That same day (while in her notice period) she does a post on insta stating where she will be going and starts following loads of our followers (I know because of who they are, my mates sister etc). What can I do about this?

Recently had this issue with a member of staff. She's just handed her notice in as she's going self employed somewhere else. That same day (while in her notice period) she does a post on insta stating where she will be going and starts following loads of our followers (I know because of who they are, my mates sister etc). What can I do about this?

Block her?

Another reason to reduce staff access to posting directly to the salons social media pages.

In situations like this, the notice period means that you are obliged to pay her but I wouldn’t keep them working at the salon. When staff hand in their notice put them on garden leave immediately blocking all access to client data. Get them to pack up their belongings and leave the salon within 5 minutes. Try to keep it discreet and don’t let them hang around chatting to your remaining staff. Damage limitation!

Staff are entitled to move jobs but don’t assume that all her current clients will want to follow her. Tempt them to try another member of staff with a special offer such are deep conditioning treatment or mini product. Give them a choice. People like the familiar so make them too comfortable to want to go elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back