Employees using chargers at work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbexxy

Reaction score
Iv opened up my first salon but finding the employees are using my electricity to charge there phones and iPads etc.
Is this the norm to be accepted in the salon or am I being to fussy?

Iv opened up my first salon but finding the employees are using my electricity to charge there phones and iPads etc.
Is this the norm to be accepted in the salon or am I being to fussy?
I've always charged my devices at any workplace I've been as long as in staff room/ out of client view.

Hi
I think that may be a bit fussy, if you were able to work out how much electricity it uses I don't think it would be much at all! If they are employees why are they on thier phones at work (assuming they're using their batteries up) other than when they're on thier breaks? Surely they wouldn't need charging so often?
X

If they are out of view of clients and only being used on breaks then i would just let it go. It wont be costing much. I would find it very petty if i was working somewhere and my boss didn't let me charge my phone. I think it would lower the morale of your workers. However if they are using their phones when they aren't on a break then I would address this issue.

The more important issue is making sure the chargers they use are pat tested if they are being used on the premises .obviously they should only be accessing their phones on designated breaks etc and be out of view of clients but allowing them.to charge them shouldn't be an issue (in my opinion) the cost is minimal.amd I can't imagine they need charging all day x

Thank you for your replies. I feel though that they are not charging them at home and just bringing in to charge at work to everyday to save on there electricity. They are always on charge x

Tbh I've never worked at any salon or spa where I've needed to charge my phone - I do it at home, although I wouldn't have an issue with a team member charging their phone in my salon on the odd emergency, I let clients charge their phones if they've needed to in emergencies. X

I think it would be petty to say they can't.

Being totally honest if a boss was to have brought this up to me I would have made sure I left dead on time and only ever did my job I wouldn't ever have gone that extra mile after that. After probably laughing wondering whether he/she was being serious!

Thank you for your replies. I feel though that they are not charging them at home and just bringing in to charge at work to everyday to save on there electricity. They are always on charge x
Are they young? I'm 24 and will admit im so reliant on my phone. It's on charge most the day and over night as I can't bare that my battery may run out! I run my own business so not such an issue but I just think being in a 'technological' age so many people are used to being glued to their phones.... me and my mum even argue over a charger because she will say she has low battery when it's on 50% lol!

i get where your coming from, where i work for my main job we are not allowed phones out let alone to charge them!. i would consider it rude if they didnt ask first. personally i would just send out a reminder in team meeting saying something like

'just to remind you all that phones are not to be used during working hours and if you need to be contacted then it needs to be done via the work number only. if you do find that you need to charge your phone then please ask me first'.

also double check that everyone does have the work number to give to family, schools etc that way you have everything covered and your not saying no to charging devices but that they have to come to you then its your discretion.

maybe also have your own chargers just for the salon and tell the staff these are the chargers that need to be used for charging any devices as electronics need to be pat tested. you can buy the chargers where you just place the device on them and not actually plug in. buy the bare minimum ie 2 and also make staff aware that they are mainly for client use but if one is free and its an urgent issue then they may be able to use one.

I generally get a petty message across with a sarcastic comment but that's my nature and they take a hint :)

As said buy 1 charger and get them to take it in turns charging their phones. If it is personal iPads they are charging I would say no to that.

Out of curiosity did they ask you first?
My girls wouldn't without asking first, if they didn't ask first I would be more concerned about their respect for you.
Xx

I would normally say let then do it as it is good for employee relations and you would seem very petty if you didn't..

But here are a couple of thoughts
.. they should be pat tested or how will you stand insurance wise?
Health and safety should be observed with training wires, safe extension leads etc.
The chargers shouldn't be left switched on when not in use.

There has also been a lot of press recently about chargers bursting into flames as they are cheap imports or not the charger designed for that piece of equipment. ( I know, who uses the actual charger that came with that particular phone?...we all plug it in to the one that's handy....apparently they have different ratings!)

Did anyone see the cctv footage of a charger / battery pack for an e-cigarette exploding next to a bar worker and burning her arm? ..... it wasn't even her e-cigarette!

I would say it is petty to not allow the charging of phones/ipads. The cost to you will be minimal.

What riles me is when clients in the waiting area just plug in without asking - doesn't take much to politely ask.

I generally get a petty message across with a sarcastic comment but that's my nature and they take a hint :)

As said buy 1 charger and get them to take it in turns charging their phones. If it is personal iPads they are charging I would say no to that.

Out of curiosity did they ask you first?
My girls wouldn't without asking first, if they didn't ask first I would be more concerned about their respect for you.
Xx
No that's the problem, they didn't ask first and just feel it's a little disrespectful x

If the Chargers have not been pat tested then no you are not
Some pictures of dodgy ones and what can happen

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453598563.155895.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453598574.527012.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453598585.665309.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453598602.474807.jpg

Not worth it xx no charging in work if you ask me

I think it will cause abit of an atmosphere and reduce morale. It does seem a very petty thing to bring up and complain about. The cost is utterly minimal. Phone batteries don't last long if you're using them for music, social media etc which the staff might be on their way to and from work. How many chargers honestly blow up and cause fires? Very few I would say but that's my opinion.

I'm a sole trader doing nails part time, so not something I've had to consider, but generally think it's polite to ask first! I also have a full time office job and charging a phone in the office would definitely be frowned upon.

Out of interest in relation to the cost, I read something on an online news website this week that said even if you fully charged your smartphone twice every day of the year, it would only cost you £0.26 for the whole year!

Latest posts

Back