Employing staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Hi geeks.
Advice required..... I've been open since February and have a self employed stylist. I've just taken on a level 3 newly qualified lady and I'm paying her £6:50ph. Can you give me any hints or tips on getting her busier and a any other advice? Im also in the process of taking on an apprentice,...pros and cons please? So in general can anyone give me any advice/feedback/help on any of the above? Thanks in advance xxx

What level have you taken her on as? How many hours does she work?

M

With the apprentice I would try to get someone who is either a level 3 apprentice or someone with a VRQ level 2 in hairdressing wanting to do an NVQ level 2 as they would be qualified so you could book customers in with them but do it at a discounted rate then when they were qualified they would have a growing client base x

I've taken the level three on as a stylist and the apprentice is 18 and has just started college in sept but wants an apprentaship.

Hi. Is the employed lady on a trial? Like every month? Because when was employed I was reviewed every month to hit targets and also to see if I'm doing ok for rebooks. It is your responsibility to make sure she is getting busy and how her actual work standards in hairdressing are. How many days is she working?

With the apprentice I would try to get someone who is either a level 3 apprentice or someone with a VRQ level 2 in hairdressing wanting to do an NVQ level 2 as they would be qualified so you could book customers in with them but do it at a discounted rate then when they were qualified they would have a growing client base x

Depends what standards you have and if they are the rare ones that are any good at that level. I'd be very surprised if you have an VRQ qualifies apprentice who could do clients unsupervised.

Anyway the point of an apprentice is that they are there to learn, to assist you, to keep the salon cleans and tidy customer service, wash hair etc. not to run a column at a cheap rate/ slave labour.

Hi. Is the employed lady on a trial? Like every month? Because when was employed I was reviewed every month to hit targets and also to see if I'm doing ok for rebooks. It is your responsibility to make sure she is getting busy and how her actual work standards in hairdressing are. How many days is she working?

She's not but this is a very good idea. She's working Thursday Friday and Saturday

Depends what standards you have and if they are the rare ones that are any good at that level. I'd be very surprised if you have an VRQ qualifies apprentice who could do clients unsupervised.

Anyway the point of an apprentice is that they are there to learn, to assist you, to keep the salon cleans and tidy customer service, wash hair etc. not to run a column at a cheap rate/ slave labour.

Yeah good point? Quick question would you ever employ a stylist who just had a VRQ level 2&3 and not NVQ

Yeah good point? Quick question would you ever employ a stylist who just had a VRQ level 2&3 and not NVQ

Hmmmm depends on their skill set. I haven't met one yet. I've got one now who we are retraining back onto NVQ. Everything else she has done has been a waste of time.

That's what I'm wondering if me just doing VRQ would ever be a problem :/

Nothing wrong with a vrq it's the actual persons capabilities you need to look at, get a level 1 apprentice their free for the duration of the level 1!

If you are qualified to VRQ 2 standards, but choose to spend your money on courses like sassoon abc, and colour courses with big companies like wella for example, rather than spending a year dallying about doing vrq 3 at college, where would this put you when it comes to potential employment? Most places prefer a level 3 obviously, but surely the standard of education from very well known companies is going to be 10x better than a vrq? I literally cant face the thought of going back and doing my level 3 at college after doing a sassoon course, kinda feel like going backwards in that sense. Opinions?

If you are qualified to VRQ 2 standards, but choose to spend your money on courses like sassoon abc, and colour courses with big companies like wella for example, rather than spending a year dallying about doing vrq 3 at college, where would this put you when it comes to potential employment? Most places prefer a level 3 obviously, but surely the standard of education from very well known companies is going to be 10x better than a vrq? I literally cant face the thought of going back and doing my level 3 at college after doing a sassoon course, kinda feel like going backwards in that sense. Opinions?

Totally agree with you,most salons will lap you up! Obviously we need qualifications to prove that we know what we're doing when putting chemicals on peoples scalps, but this is a skilled, practical profession. You don't l become a fantastic hairdresser the day you get a level 3 certificate, it's through hard work, dedication and lots of on going training!

I learnt more in 1 day at wella than a my whole second year at college! x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Totally agree with you,most salons will lap you up! Obviously we need qualifications to prove that we know what we're doing when putting chemicals on peoples scalps, but this is a skilled, practical profession. You don't l become a fantastic hairdresser the day you get a level 3 certificate, it's through hard work, dedication and lots of on going training!

I learnt more in 1 day at wella than a my whole second year at college! x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

College was a waste of time for me and most employers tbh. My employer will train a assistant and tell them to ignore most of the stuff they learn as its dead training in colleges.

This is going to sound like a thick question but is there a difference between NVQ and VRQ?
I ask because I have NVQ's in hairdressing and VRQ's in beauty and thought that they meant the same thing but the name had been changed? I wanted to go back to do level 3 hair but only the VRQ is on offer so wondered if there was a difference. Or have I misunderstood parts of this thread? Sorry to just butt in x

I believe it's opinions that differ with the nvq's & vr q's I've done both and can honestly say I don't think there's a difference :/

VRQ has a lower pass rate, less theory and practical on a block is allowed. NVQ is higher, more theory and live model work.

As an employer there is still a preference towards Nvq

I'm doing a vrq at the minute and I truly believe the lower pass rate is due to the commitments of the students .. They are older students on an evening course and as the weeks have passed you can sieve out the ones that will go on further, the attendance of those on my course varies constantly with only a few of us week in week out who are constantly bringing in clients because we want to learn and are hungry for this .. Also there are only a few things u can be assessed on on a block and on my course this certainly isn't preferred. I don't believe anyone should be judged on nvq vs vrq surely it's down to the passion to learn and the skills the individual holds and if I was applying for a job I would be happy and confident to prove what I could do.

Moving forward they are doing away with nvq entirely apparently, so soon there wjll only be vrq! We won't be able to judge people then.

VRQ has a lower pass rate, less theory and practical on a block is allowed. NVQ is higher, more theory and live model work.

As an employer there is still a preference towards Nvq

I did VRQ and I did no assessments on a block, if this is allowed though that is ridiculous how can you do a proper consultation, do relevant porosity and elasticity tests and check for any possible contra indications :O

Latest posts

Back