employing students 6 weeks hol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanails

Reaction score
hiya,
can anyone help me please, this young girl came in to my shop (very nice) and asked if i had any work in the 6 weeks, which i have we are busy in this period, she went on to tell me she will have completed level 2 in 3 weeks and she uses creative products now at college.
all sounds very good i could help her a little and she could def help us, but the prob is i don't know how to go about paying her, i have other techs and there all self employed wich works well, but it wouldn't for this girl because i wouldn't want her doing nails just yet and wen i did i wouldn't be charging full price, it would just be helping out cleaning, answering phones etc, then hopefully leading on to a sat job when shes back at college. but i'm worried about paying her, how much? what about tax? hols? etc who is the best people to speak with re this, i really took a shine to this young lady and would like to have her on my team.
any help would be appreciated jan x

Try contacting your local YTS (Youth Traning Scheme)
They should be able to give advice, you might even be able to register through them to get extra support.

Try contacting your local tax office - they are really helpful, and will tell you what you have to complete tax wise etc.

Hourly pay etc, that's upto you to decide, but again check with them, they can tell you minimum wage etc.

Good luck
:)

my daughter has a hoiliday job, she gets £4.12 hr. [she's 17]

thats about as much help as i can give you.
but i'd just like to say i think its great that you are willing to give this gal a chance, i hope it works out well for you both.

I think its great that you might be giving this girl a chance to work in a salon environment.Pitty there isnt alot more that are doing this it will give students more insight to this kind of industry and gain a lot more experience.
Good luck.

I too think it's great that you want to help her out! I hope it works out well for the both of you.

Laura

it's great that you are giving her this opportunity. we need more opportunities like this. i think you could pay her hourly £4.50 would be more than enough, i'd say. i think you could do the cash in hand thing, but it might get you into trouble. contact your local council they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Actually, is there a hairdressers near you? they always have juniors, ask them how they go about it x

Latest posts

Back