End of my tether (losing hope!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loves_it

Reaction score
My friend told me about this forum and i have been following it for a few weeks, but recently something has happened and i'm really not sure who to turn to for advice about this. so i joined up, thought i'd get a good response from you guys. not sure what else to do.

i am qualifying this month but am extremely unhappy where i am currently working. i have been doing slave labour for the last year and a half and feel completely underappreciated despite working my butt off to promote the salon at EVERY opportunity, getting flyer and business cards made of my own accord to districbute around the area. i'd go in on days off to help out and get a bit extra training. basically i end up working a 37 hour week but only get paid for 20 and i never ever complain because this is my passion, it is my love, and what i want in my life.

i feel completely emotionally drained as i have poured my heart and soul in this salon and given it my all in every aspect, however once i qualify there is no plans to start me off on a minimum wage at all. basically i will no be getting my own column or be given any new clients, i will be expected to carry on junioring and get paid peanuts for it. my financial situation is dire to the point i am going to become homeless in the next 3 months if things do not improve.

where do i stand in terms of employment?

i do 6 hours in college a week and 37 in the salon. I have been in a salon environment for 3 years all together and been doing hair for the last 2 years. however once i qualify will i still be employable? no salon would want to take me on would they because i would be considered as having no experience right? do they only count experience from point of qualification onwards?

i really really do not know what to do. i have never been this unhappy. i love hairdressing more than anything else in this world and would literally feel like a massive chunk would be removed from my soul if i was not able to do it anymore. however despite major discussions with the boss he won't see where i am coming from and doesn't seem at all bothered that i will be homeless if i carry on the way i am.

despite getting funding for my training the last couple of years i have been living off overdraft because the way i see it hairdressing is all i want to do. it hurts so much to be in this situation. i feel completely undervalued and betrayed. worse than when i split up with some ex boyf.

what do you salon owners think? would you hire a newly qualified stylist? please be brutally honest.

:cry:

where do i stand in terms of employment?

i do 6 hours in college a week and 37 in the salon. I have been in a salon environment for 3 years all together and been doing hair for the last 2 years. however once i qualify will i still be employable? no salon would want to take me on would they because i would be considered as having no experience right? do they only count experience from point of qualification onwards?

Sweetie, this is your starting point, you write to every hairdressers in reach of you and you tell them exactly what you have been doing.
No I'm not a hair dresser, but I have been a boss, more then once, and all experience is relevant, paid and unpaid in fact it's a big plus that you have 20 hours a week paid and 17 a week unpaid, it shows commitment.
That you have promoted the salon, shows you can think for yourself. 3 years in the same salon, you are a team player and don't flit from job to job.
Start doing this now, again this shows that you are thinking of the future.
Don't be worried about not getting replies, just concentrate on the replies you do get. Plan out what you will say when asked to come in for an interview. Firstly why you are not going to be staying at your current place. You can't say they 'they only want to use me as slave labour' even though it's true:lol: You have to think about a positive way of putting it, such as, unfortunately they don't have room for a qualified person right now. Or I want to be able to study further and will need to fund this myself, unfortunately, my current employer hasn't got room to take me on as a qualified hair dresser and I need to progress past a junior position.

You have worked dammed hard for the last 3 years don't underestimate your achievements.:hug:

Im afraid at this stage its not big bucks hun:cry:. This was when i started doing some mobile outside the salon, and as my experience and clientelle grew, i eventually branched out on my own. Hairdressing has given me a good living over the years but you do have to start somewhere. It will get better:hug:

Hi, I think at the moment you really do need to be on the payroll as full time employee with any job you can get..... just so you can afford to pay your rent ,

but ..... with being a student at college are you sure your getting all the help and assistance you may be entitled to with your rent ect ? .... go to the Citizens Advice Bureau you may need a financial check up ....

the Christmas season is coming up and there are usually some great opportunity's out there ..... are you willing or able to spread your wings and perhaps get a job in a different place ?

Hairdressing Colleges can fit in with where you are up to so you can take up your NVQ at any other NVQ College where you left off or at a later date .....
then perhaps you could concentrate on a full time hairdressing job or another job option
and think about College at a later date ,

you could also have a chat with your Tutors ,

or what about a rented room within a house? ...... this may be a cheaper option for you ? especially if you find a better job elsewhere or further away ,
sorry I wish I could be of more help :hug:

I think your attitude to work is fab and you obviously have great passion for your work.
As an employer i wouldn't hire someone who hadn't got passion so i think you're halway there already.
If you've been working in a salon for 3 years then you do have experience and i'd rather hire someone with salon experience than someone straight out of college.
As Susie said, i would go round all your local salons and see if anyone has any work.
Shame i haven't got any jobs going otherwise i'd hire you :hug:

make sure that you have your name on the housing associations list - your local council can help with this- just in case you get made homeless( they seem to have maybe 7 times as many 1 beds as 3 beds for some reason).
When you qualify get yourself a full time job - in a differant salon , you may have to retrain a little , but you do have experience with people and working reception which is more intense than in a college setting . If you are commited and talented it will show through andyou will progress faster .

You are in a situation that many of us have been in. On the one hand, you need a better paying position, and on the other you need the "experience". When you say you are in "school" do you mean cosmo school or college? Either way, you would qualify for federal student loans. Do you already have a loan(s)? If not, student loans can be used for anything that makes it possible for you to attend school, not just tuition: rent, transportation, books, etc. While I understand your passion for the profession, passion alone does not pay the rent. Sounds like you may need to either switch salons, or take on another paying position part-time. You can't further your cosmo studies if you're not able to pay rent. Can you take on a roomate?

You said you have 3 months....that's plenty of time to make a change. It sounds to me like you need to make that change very soon. Why don't you look for another salon to apprentice in...not every one treats their juniors like glorified slaves. There are many who want to nurture talent because the salon benefits as a whole from having great stylists who bring in business. Whatever you decide, know that everyone goes through these tough times when they are starting out, no matter what profession they are in. It's just part of paying your "dues". If you have to go outside the field for a time, that's ok. Above all, don't lose focus. You know what you want to do, just take the steps necessary to get there. Everyone has to veer off the track every now again when things get tough but that doesn't mean you're not passionate; it simply means you're doing what's necessary at this moment in time.

In answer to your question, Yes us salon owners do employ newly qualified salon trained junior stylists. However the starting point is usually minimum wage with 6 monthly or yearly increments.
Please write to, and call every salon owner around you, as opportunities may arise at any time.
Also its worth asking if they will keep your details on file in case opportunities arise in the future.

Latest posts

Back