Enforcing a no-children policy in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always send a reminder txt the day before to new clients saying please don't bring friends/children with you as my space is limited. I also don't like children x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't get me wrong there's some kids I'm not overly fond of but I could say the same about some clients 😂

I do often have childcare for my appointments but only because it isn't an effort, he's at school through the day or my family are good at having him. I wouldn't not book an appointment somewhere though if I Couldn't get child care, I've been a single mum and know it can be hard to get those little treats sometimes so I try my best to accommodate other people who may also be in the same situation.

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol yes I agree with you about kids and clients!!

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

I've only encountered this once luckily. A new client was arriving & I could see her getting a toddler & another child out of her car & putting him in a pushchair. She was coming to my homebased salon for a full set of sculpted acrylics & I was dumbstruck at the cheek of it. Not even a call before hand to explain that her childcare had let her down & did I mind. I think she must have thought that if she just turned up with them if feel sorry for her & let her in with them. I couldn't bear the thought of them running riot around my home. So I opened the door and said that I was sorry but it was no place for children with chemicals around etc so I wouldn't be able to do the nail service.
I never saw her again!! But so worth the failed appointment.

You're my hero looooooooooool

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't think it's fair to say that bringing kids to am appointment lacks common sense and courtesy.

Children are an attachment to some parents and they wouldn't dream of getting a sitter (especially if limited) for some pampering. I know I wouldn't.

I appreciate some children don't sit still but I gladly welcome children to my home where I offer treatments and with the TV on and a basket of toys I've never had a mishap in 5 years aside from a few crisps on the floor!! The one time I have had an issue was working mobile so perhaps best not to do this.

I'd be glad to know beforehand that children weren't welcome as I'd be more than happy to find someone else to do my treatments, especially if it was seen that I lack common sense and courtesy 😱

Thats why you book your appointment at a time where they will be in school. Best way

Thats why you book your appointment at a time where they will be in school. Best way

If they're school age children, of course 😃

To be honest not ALL mums will just sit there while a child touches/spills/breaks things. Just a few passive parents might not be bothered. Mind you I don't like kids either, I love my 3 because they behave n if they don't I can threaten to steal their phone chargers for a week.

Just put up a polite notice in your salon and also add it onto emails or text messages or even your price list, blame insurance if you feel it will help, something like: for insurance purposes or health and safety children under (what? 16/12/18etc) are not permitted in the salon at any time, sorry for the inconvenience.
I don't particularly enjoy having children in a salon either but if you go mobile you cannot expect to enter a childs home and have them not there. That's the risk you take. If there are children at a home visit you gotta be extra vigilant with keeping items out of little arms reach.

Granted I don't mind kids in my home salon, and often then not work with my own kids in the next room (it is their playroom), I think I've been very lucky that clients always ask if it's ok if they bring their kids with them. All moms always make sure their kids stay in the playroom next door and don't go upstairs or run around my work room. My kids love company and it works out great actually. That said I really do have lovely clients, and their kids seem to be very well behaved. Not everyone is like that unfortunately. One lady once brought her very loud 3 and 5 year old kids to the salon where I work for a FACIAL! All I can say it was a nightmare for everyone. The kids were running all over the salon, screaming, touching and grabbing on everything, with all the staff and even other clients trying to quite them down, while mom couldn't even get up from the bed. Total disaster! That day I thought that some policy regarding kids would've been great, lol.
So while I'm the mom that usually has to bring the younger one with me everywhere, I always make sure it is ok with the place where I'm going. That's why I went to my hairstylist at home, where she welcomed kids, for a couple of years, and not went to a hair salon. So for me a gentle notification that kids are not allowed would've been enough to either choose a different place or to arrange a time when I can be by myself.

Some parents are really considerate. Their children are so well behaved, sit quietly with a snack and a toy to play with.

Then there are the ones who make me question if I want children after all, lol. The kids scream, run, touch everything, make a terrible mess and the parents either act like it's not happening or scream louder.

I'm going to be moving to a home salon. I won't say no children but will discourage it if asked. If they come then they will have to be in the salon...They are not going into my house. If they aren't well behaved ill suggest that it's too long for them and next time we'll have to arrange a child free time so they can really enjoy the pampering they deserve xx

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't mind kids in the salon, i've mellowed out a bit since becoming an auntie!

I politely state that the child need to be supervised as we're not babysitters and to not put your child at risk. obviously some appointments are over in a jiffy but we don the good cop bad cop lady routine which the kid normally behaves themselves. Plus a bit of bribery to say if you behave yourself to the child your mummy will buy you lots of sweeties normally has them quiet as anything he he he! TRY IT! It ALWAYS works! xoxo

I don't mind kids in the salon, i've mellowed out a bit since becoming an auntie!

I politely state that the child need to be supervised as we're not babysitters and to not put your child at risk. obviously some appointments are over in a jiffy but we don the good cop bad cop lady routine which the kid normally behaves themselves. Plus a bit of bribery to say if you behave yourself to the child your mummy will buy you lots of sweeties normally has them quiet as anything he he he! TRY IT! It ALWAYS works! xoxo

You haven't met my aunties kids. Lol you could bribe and they'll carry on. Then throw a tantrum when the mum doesn't buy sweeties

Or mum brings the sweeties, kids scoff them at the beginning of the appointment, then kids snap it when they're gone. ....
It's giving me a migraine just thinking about it

Or mum brings the sweeties, kids scoff them at the beginning of the appointment, then kids snap it when they're gone. ....
It's giving me a migraine just thinking about it

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile

And then they leave rubbish lying around all over your salon. There was this nail tech I used to watch on youtube who mentioned one time this lady bought her kid into the salon and they left a poop on the bathroom floor. What I imagine would be my worst nightmare

What! !!
What sort of mother does THAT! !!!

Every tech has their own thoughts on children in salons issue.

For me, I decided before I had even opened my doors that I was not going to allow children to be in appt's.
I spent a very long time getting my salon policies just right and in my policies is a "no children" policy. I basically say that due to insurance, chemicals etc, they are not allowed.
Every new client gets a copy of my policies and I always run through them with the client, so the client can ask me any questions.
I am lucky maybe because none of my clients want to bring their kids, they all want their "me" time and they (and me) couldn't think of anything worse, so they never bring them.
Ages ago, I had a couple of times where I have had to tell client we had to re-book because they turned up with their kid/s and they fully understood and were fine and they did return at a later date, so all turned out fine.

It is best to make your mind up as to what you want for YOUR salon before starting and whatever you decide, that is how it is from the minute you open your salon and then stick to it.

Couldn't agree more

I've had a couple of occasions at my home salon when clients have had to bring their children along, whilst I'm not happy and say that its not a good idea if they insist than I let them. I state that its usually very stressful for the mother and I don't have any stuff to entertain them or keep them quiet so basically "its on you"!

I'm lucky that my salon its very self contained and the kids can't get out into my house so we're all in one place at the same time. I've found that once the clients brings them once they never do again as I make sure they're the one being inconvenienced! Obviously if the kids touch my stuff I put a stop to that straight away. I also make sure the clients know that if there's any breakdown in service or the finish is a little off then again, its her fault not mine!

Be tough, strong, stick to your guns and don't be a walkover, do what suits you.

Karaxxx

Last edited:
What! !!
What sort of mother does THAT! !!!

Ikr! I laughed but I felt so bad ! I guess that was the straw that broke the camel's back for her. She never let another client bring a child again

I don't think it's fair to say that bringing kids to am appointment lacks common sense and courtesy.

Children are an attachment to some parents and they wouldn't dream of getting a sitter (especially if limited) for some pampering. I know I wouldn't.

I appreciate some children don't sit still but I gladly welcome children to my home where I offer treatments and with the TV on and a basket of toys I've never had a mishap in 5 years aside from a few crisps on the floor!! The one time I have had an issue was working mobile so perhaps best not to do this.

I'd be glad to know beforehand that children weren't welcome as I'd be more than happy to find someone else to do my treatments, especially if it was seen that I lack common sense and courtesy ��

I find that well-behaved clients usually have well-behaved children, but let's face it, most people have a blind spot when it comes to the conduct of their own children. Regardless of whether your children are well behaved or not, a nail salon is not an appropriate place for children not having services. There are too many chemicals and devices that are dangerous to children, not to mention fumes and filings. Even well-behaved children require some attention and that is attention taken away from the service. At a minimum, clients should ask before bringing a child along to a service. Even if they are permitted, to bring them along without asking is lacking sense and courtesy, especially in a salon setting where other clients might be impacted by a child's presence.

That said, if you have a no-children policy, it is incumbent upon you to publish, post and enforce it clearly, consistently, and respectfully.

I had a pedicure last week and there was a four year old child getting a mani/pedi in the chair next to me. She was an absolute delight and well-behaved, but she fell face first into the pedicure chair bowl and cried for 15 minutes (can you blame her?).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back