Enhancements and General Anaesthetic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne7174

Reaction score
I have just been for a pre op assesment as I am going into hospital on Dec 5th for an op and Ive been told I have to remove my Nail Enhancements !!!! Im more devastated about this than the op itself my nails are me and I am NEVER EVER seen with out them. My hubby (bless him) is taking me to spain for 4 days prior to the op so I can relax and prepare myself so I was planning mega nails seems a waste of time doing them now as I have to remove them is this normal has anyone heard of this before ? What do they do in emergencies if someone has enhancements on ?
Im so gutted I will have to put more on the day im home from hospital as I cant have people see me with out them!:|

obv, i am not a professional (yet!)

but i think i remember my tutor saying that doctors can look at your nail's to check for heart and lung problem's during the op?

i.e, if you're nails look blue then you have problems with your heart etc? but pink nails will indicate everythings fine?

sorry if this isnt correct (im sure it wont be!)

:D

obv, i am not a professional (yet!)

but i think i remember my tutor saying that doctors can look at your nail's to check for heart and lung problem's during the op?

i.e, if you're nails look blue then you have problems with your heart etc? but pink nails will indicate everythings fine?

sorry if this isnt correct (im sure it wont be!)

That's correct:)

really?!

woo!

i have a written assessment tonight, this has made me think maybe i know more than i think!

really?!

woo!

i have a written assessment tonight, this has made me think maybe i know more than i think!

Good luck! What course are you doing?

Dont know it it's the same in all countries but in the UK I went into hospital for an op and I took my varnish and NNO off and during my pre-op I was talking to the anesthesiologist and he told me that I need not have taken my nails off as there are plenty of other ways they can monitor circulation.

My natural nails are very long anyway so they still couldn't put the pulse monitor on my finger so they just put it on my ear lobe instead. Perhaps talk to your doctor / nursing staff?

Good luck with your op!

thanks!

manicure and pedicure, then acrylics in dec/jan and gel in march!

and circulation! thats the word i couldnt remember!

and good luck with the op!

thanks!

manicure and pedicure, then acrylics in dec/jan and gel in march!

and circulation! thats the word i couldnt remember!

and good luck with the op!

You're gonna be busy then! :lol: Is it college or are you doing them with a product company?

I have just been for a pre op assesment as I am going into hospital on Dec 5th for an op and Ive been told I have to remove my Nail Enhancements !!!! Im more devastated about this than the op itself my nails are me and I am NEVER EVER seen with out them. My hubby (bless him) is taking me to spain for 4 days prior to the op so I can relax and prepare myself so I was planning mega nails seems a waste of time doing them now as I have to remove them is this normal has anyone heard of this before ? What do they do in emergencies if someone has enhancements on ?
Im so gutted I will have to put more on the day im home from hospital as I cant have people see me with out them!:|

Dont know it it's the same in all countries but in the UK I went into hospital for an op and I took my varnish and NNO off and during my pre-op I was talking to the anesthesiologist and he told me that I need not have taken my nails off as there are plenty of other ways they can monitor circulation.

Some Doctors/anetheatists are fussier than others about it, some are more informed........ Basically it's down your individual hospital and Doctor, and if they say you need them off then you need them off.

Now I'm a Nail Tech and I love my nails, but come off it you can have them back on afterwards. Surely it's better to have the op! Be very aware though the Dr has the right to refuse to do the op if you don't take your nails off. One of my clients had a boob job and the Dr told her if she turned up with her nails on he would refuse to do the op but still charge her for his time......

Nails are replacable so take them off, have the op and have them back on, simple. JMHO.

The reason for the removal of your nail enhancements is this: During the surgery and recovery, a pulse oximeter is placed on the tips of your fingers (most commonly over the nail plate). It's purpose is to detect blood oxygenation within the nail bed which is so rich in blood supply. It is also a form of pulse meter as it beeps to the rhythm of your heart, but most importantly detects oxygen levels.

Some nail enhancements can affect the effectiveness of this little gadget. Likewise, dark colours from gels and polishes can do this too as the oximeter relies on light penetration via the nail plate.

If you are having your surgery on the NHS, then most likely you will be required to remove your nail enhancements as NHS hospitals are teaching institutions and the staff have to follow protocol. HTH.

I agree with you ladies it does depend on the surgeon / hospital etc. Although I had my Op in the UK it was done under the Private sector and they are often more accommodating.

Although there are alternative placements for the pulse / circulation monitor some hospitals, as Mrs Clooney says, stick to protocol with no wiggle room.

At the end of the day if you want to have the surgery u gotta go with what your surgeon says.

Take a bottle of polish with you and asap put a coat on! That was what I did. Check with the doc / nurse first though!

You're gonna be busy then! :lol: Is it college or are you doing them with a product company?

its college, it fits in well with my hairdressng course and the tutor is from nsi,

so its good!

will definelty be doing more training when i finish these though, opi manicure conversion looks to good to ignore..!

The reason for the removal of your nail enhancements is this: During the surgery and recovery, a pulse oximeter is placed on the tips of your fingers (most commonly over the nail plate). It's purpose is to detect blood oxygenation within the nail bed which is so rich in blood supply. It is also a form of pulse meter as it beeps to the rhythm of your heart, but most importantly detects oxygen levels.

Some nail enhancements can affect the effectiveness of this little gadget. Likewise, dark colours from gels and polishes can do this too as the oximeter relies on light penetration via the nail plate.

If you are having your surgery on the NHS, then most likely you will be required to remove your nail enhancements as NHS hospitals are teaching institutions and the staff have to follow protocol. HTH.

Aye, I remember Sonia being hooked up to one of those when she's been in hospital in the past... definitely better to be on the safe side and not risk the nail enhancements interfering with the equipment's measurements... although perhaps the hospital would allow enhancements on all but one finger should this be the reason they need you to have no enhancements???

Aye, I remember Sonia being hooked up to one of those when she's been in hospital in the past... definitely better to be on the safe side and not risk the nail enhancements interfering with the equipment's measurements... although perhaps the hospital would allow enhancements on all but one finger should this be the reason they need you to have no enhancements???
Unfortunately, sometimes the pulse-oximetre does not pick up the oxygen saturation in one finger and the probe has to be moved from finger to finger or finger to thumb until a suitable place is found. Hence the need to remove all enhancements!

Look, to be honest, if one is having surgery of any sort, then do as the staff ask, because if anything went wrong, the patient and public would be the first to complain about the hospital! It is a nail enhancement which is not life threatening. An inaccurate oxygen saturation reading could be!

your oxygen saturation level (in your cell tissue) is measured by a 'peg' on your finger............they could put it on your ear...or toe lol. You could speak to the anesthetist...but I wouldnt push it...your health is more important. Hope it goes well!

your oxygen saturation level (in your cell tissue) is measured by a 'peg' on your finger............they could put it on your ear...or toe lol. You could speak to the anesthetist...but I wouldnt push it...your health is more important. Hope it goes well!
Yes they can put it on your toe or your ear, but your circulation in your toe is furthest from your heart/lungs and the ear is often used as a last resort.

Also, nails are dirty and you will be in bed and not washing them yourself, perhaps, so others might not be as diligent about using nail brushes and all. Also, if a nail gets broken off, it can cause cross-contamination, etc. See, I was paying attention in class last week!!
Alan27, I am exactly the same as you - mani/pedi now and acrylics after Christmas! We should study together!

Apart from checking your oxygen (sat) levels it can also indicate weather you have internal bleeding, this I do know from personal experience, best take them off, its only for a while, and I hope it all goes well :hug: x

i had surgery not so long ago, the nursing staff removed my left hand set in a flash. the surgery was an emergency and the nurses had them off in no time (ouch) and they wern't gentle either, but i didnt mind as they were ace and saved my life and made me better again.

good luck with your surgery and you can treat yourself to a lovely set when you are getting better.

tigi

Latest posts

Back