Epilating Bikini Area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara_S

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm hoping that you may be able to help me out with a query! I've used my epilator on my legs for ages now, and last night was feeling brave enough to go that bit further and do my bikini line as i'm sick of shaving/creams and had kinda neglected that area a bit.......! Ouch! Just a tidy-up, nothing too extreme. It was painful but not unbearable.

I was a bit alarmed to see some little spots of blood forming at the time, but I'm assuming this is natural?! I've never even waxed my bikini line before, so i guess its the first time the hairs have ever been removed from the root. Also, this morning i had some reddish spots (i get these on my legs too when epilating, but usually the same night and gone by morning). I know how important it is to exfoliate to avoid ingrown hairs, but how often/how long after epilating? I don't want to get it wrong since the skin is so sensitive there.

Thanks in advance :hug:

Cara_S said:
Hey all, i'm hoping that you may be able to help me out with a query! I've used my epilator on my legs for ages now, and last night was feeling brave enough to go that bit further and do my bikini line as i'm sick of shaving/creams and had kinda neglected that area a bit.......! Ouch! Just a tidy-up, nothing too extreme. It was painful but not unbearable.

I was a bit alarmed to see some little spots of blood forming at the time, but I'm assuming this is natural?! I've never even waxed my bikini line before, so i guess its the first time the hairs have ever been removed from the root. Also, this morning i had some reddish spots (i get these on my legs too when epilating, but usually the same night and gone by morning). I know how important it is to exfoliate to avoid ingrown hairs, but how often/how long after epilating? I don't want to get it wrong since the skin is so sensitive there.

Thanks in advance :hug:
did you trim the bikini line before epilating? if not and the hair was too long it can pull the hair out quite roughly (causing blood spots) and will hurt more IMHO

I always do the same aftercare as I would if I had waxed any area - no sunbeds, swimming, shower with highly scented gel - no exfoliating either for at least 24 hrs - you should be ok soon hun the rash should subside soon:hug:

also the hair can be a lot coarser down there too which can cause blood spots x

Snugglepuss said:
did you trim the bikini line before epilating? if not and the hair was too long it can pull the hair out quite roughly (causing blood spots) and will hurt more IMHO

I always do the same aftercare as I would if I had waxed any area - no sunbeds, swimming, shower with highly scented gel - no exfoliating either for at least 24 hrs - you should be ok soon hun the rash should subside soon:hug:

Thanks v.much for your reply! I hadn't thought of that to be honest, perhaps the hair was a bit too long. I'll remember that for next time! Although hopefully i won't be so lazy to let it get to that stage :lol:

funkyfingers10 said:
also the hair can be a lot coarser down there too which can cause blood spots x

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense. Plus being the first time the hairs have ever been pulled from the root might have made a difference (at least I think so). I was just a bit surprised and wanted to check its normal! lol x

Your welcome hun - as funkyfingers10 said as well, the hair is a lot coarser down there:green: Happy epilating:green:

when you wax or epi. your bikini area is it the same as legs.. and the hair grows back alot finer.. i had my legs waxed for the first time (yes i was a wax virgin) about 4 weeks ago and alothough the hair has grown back it is really really fine i thought it would take alot longer. will my kini line be the same ???? and really how much did it hurt, alot more than the legs! as i am a wooze for pain :irked:

Minkus gave me a hollywood at the weekend..if i can do it anyone can, you get used to it after a while and it get's less painfull everytime x

i find waxing hurts less than using an Epi x

I used to have my legs waxed every 4-6 weeks for years but I got fed up with trying to find time for an appointment to suit me, and paying out each time. So I bought an epilator and haven't looked back :) I agree that waxing is probably less painful than epilating, but each time you epilate it does get easier. I don't really mind it now since I have been doing my legs this way for about a year. I think the reason waxing seems less painful is because its quicker - one strip at a time takes out a whole area, whereas an epilator obviously covers a smaller area at once.

Cara_S said:
. I think the reason waxing seems less painful is because its quicker - one strip at a time takes out a whole area, whereas an epilator obviously covers a smaller area at once.

yes your absolutely right it is because more surface area is removed at once.
you do get used to Epilating. i remember it felt like pins sticking in me the first time i did it i ddn't want to carry on with the other leg, had to have a breather before i did!!

funkyfingers10 said:
yes your absolutely right it is because more surface area is removed at once.
you do get used to Epilating. i remember it felt like pins sticking in me the first time i did it i ddn't want to carry on with the other leg, had to have a breather before i did!!

Same here, I was exactly the same! lol I'm used to it now and it doesn't hurt nearly as much. Isn't it something to do with the follicles getting used to it and not having as much grip... perhaps not, could be speaking rubbish here! Anyhoo, have good intentions to carry on doing my bikini line like this, and hopefully it will also get less painful each time! :green:

funkyfingers10 said:
Minkus gave me a hollywood at the weekend..if i can do it anyone can, you get used to it after a while and it get's less painfull everytime x

i find waxing hurts less than using an Epi x
Thats fab - nobody around here does it - so I thought I would do much as I could on myself the other week:lol: most of it was ok and it didn't hurt as much as I thought - but at one point I got wax on hair from both sides :eek: if you know what I mean (I hadn't realised quite what I had done at that point) and gave the wax a flick and nearly passed out with the pain:lol: :eek: any way after a bit of scissor work - I managed to remove the rest in the proper manner:lol:

Tell you something though afterwards it feels so much nicer :green: worth the pain:lol:

I've just had a thought..... as I said, I only tidied up my bikini line with my epilator, but i'm curious to know how far can you go with an epilator? would it be the same as wax, ie, as much off as you like! Or is there is a limit?

You brave girl!

There's no limits apart from your pain barrier! Just be carfeul as your skin is softer and squishier down there that you don't catch yourself when at an awkward angle:eek:

I can wax/epilate anywhere (including underarms) apart from my bikini line. Ach...the pain just thinking about it! I can just about do my treasure trail (or crab ladder in coarser terms!) which is, embarrassingly, thicker than my man's :o

Just make sure you exfoliate (how many times have you heard that!), as I always seem to get more ingrowers from epping than I do from waxing, probably because the wax exfoliates as it removes hair.

Happy hair removal:)

AmydeMan said:
You brave girl!

There's no limits apart from your pain barrier! Just be carfeul as your skin is softer and squishier down there that you don't catch yourself when at an awkward angle:eek:

I can wax/epilate anywhere (including underarms) apart from my bikini line. Ach...the pain just thinking about it! I can just about do my treasure trail (or crab ladder in coarser terms!) which is, embarrassingly, thicker than my man's :o

Just make sure you exfoliate (how many times have you heard that!), as I always seem to get more ingrowers from epping than I do from waxing, probably because the wax exfoliates as it removes hair.

Happy hair removal:)

lol i'm not brave yet! We shall see :lol: But i wouldnt go that far to the ins and outie bits, lol, it would just be taking that 'strip' in a bit further. Funny how we each have our areas that we can stand/not stand - for me, I can't stand to my underarms, toooo painful!!

hahahaha @ treasure trail!! I know what you mean, haven't tackled that yet, but :idea: i will now!

Brave ... thats a understatement. Me ... Im a wax virgin ( a big chcken more like) :rolleyes:

Never tried epilating and it sounds painful too.

I also have a treasure trail :lol: I heard about bleaching it, a product called Jolie or something like that ... has anyone else tried it??

Helencad said:
Brave ... thats a understatement. Me ... Im a wax virgin ( a big chcken more like) :rolleyes:

Never tried epilating and it sounds painful too.

I also have a treasure trail :lol: I heard about bleaching it, a product called Jolie or something like that ... has anyone else tried it??

yep i tried it and it's fab, does exactly what it says on the tin! you just have to mix powder and paste together leave it on for 10 mins and your bleached!

funkyfingers10 said:
yep i tried it and it's fab, does exactly what it says on the tin! you just have to mix powder and paste together leave it on for 10 mins and your bleached!

Thanks funkyfingers I think I'm going to give that a go!!

I think its called Jolene, and you can buy it in either normal or sensitive formula. I used to use it all the time for some hairs on my upper lip (i'm got dark hair and fair-ish skin) but now I pluck :green: I remember it did the trick, does exactly what it says on the tin. But be careful, it obviously doesn't get rid of the hairs, just bleaches them blonde. So sometimes, if theres a lot of hair, and you're in the sun for example, they can be just as noticeable.

Ok have to ask, whats a treasure trail?

And I'm curious about the epilating underarms bit. Legs are no problem as I have done mine for years but never knew it could be used on bikini lines or underarms. I tried it on my underarms only once and had to walk around with my arms out for days :eek: so assumed maybe that really was a terrible idea and probably not meant for that area!

Latest posts

Back