Epilepsy medication and enhancements??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a quick query - I have a lovely lady coming to see me next week, just for a manicure.
Her nails have ridges, lumps and bumps, and very thin. She claims that none of this damage is through having her nails done in the past (she claims to have tried L&P, Gel and Prescriptions), but due to her epilepsy medication.
She originally came to me for a full set,of gels, but after talking with her and seeing her nails, I have learnt that she suffers with lifting very badly. I have encouraged her to try manicures for a few months to see if it changes the condition of her nails.
Problem being - that one of the techs she has seen in the past (the other Kerry) has also had her as a client, and could her damage be caused by her (with the lifting and all), or is it possible that her medication is absolutely trashing her NN.
I know that Mani's are an easy solution - but is it the right one?

I have an epileptic client and her meds(which have changed over the years) have never really cause any probs with lifting or caused any changes to the natural nail. I use brisa gel on her with great results. Unfortunately it does sound like the damage may be due other sources. Was she a picker at all? I have a few people who like to assist lifting nails but still see it as "falling off". I think your mani plan is the best way to go then you can see if there is an improvement or not before you start on enhancements again.:)

I took anti convulsants for years and never had any problems with my nails whatsoever.
Maybe she is using this as a convenient excuse?
It sounds as though she hasn't looked after her nails and has maybe picked off any sets of enhancements she has had.
I'd offer her regular manicures.

My dad was an epileptic and had no problems with his nails (never wore enhancments though) in fact he had very strong lovley nails. I do not think this would be aside effect to the meds, but then again I'm no quack.

Some of the newer seizure meds do have side affects that cause hair to fall out, break off or thin excessively, the skin becomes very dry and cracks or is easily broken and in some instances can cause the nails to become very weak, thin or peel.

My sister, brother and 1 Aunt all took this med, the biggest noted affect was with their hair and skin. My Aunt safely wears her enhancments, we keep them short and she is diligent about rebalancing and maintenence.

Your clients lifting issues are most likely due to at home abuse, not a side affect of meds.

Thanks to you all for your advice.
I will take pics of her nails and post them on here to show you the damage, when she turns up (so far already cancelled and appt time).:irked:
After talking with her again I know the techs she has been to visit previously and unfortunately for her I think this may be her problem. (not digging at my competition:rolleyes:), I will try and get her here for manicures, but she is the only one now that can help her situation ( I could help if she turns up lol).
Once again thank you all

im epileptic and i started taking a med that came out about 6 yrs ago and my nails are f*cked from them. i mentioned it in another thread a few days ago. thats not counting all the other health probs i hav from previous meds.
everyone reacts to meds differently, plus there are 100s of meds out there.
id take her word for it

im epileptic and i started taking a med that came out about 6 yrs ago and my nails are f*cked from them. i mentioned it in another thread a few days ago. thats not counting all the other health probs i hav from previous meds.
everyone reacts to meds differently, plus there are 100s of meds out there.
id take her word for it

Im not having a go at her at all, please dont think I am. I came here to ask advice and I guess I got it. Her nails in some places even look like hotspots, one looks like a ring of fire !!! other nails genuinly look damaged from meds (lumps, bumps and ridges).
I am sorry that you have to take meds and have issues with them. Im sure we all have problems either medically or in our home lives.
This is not a personal attack on you - please dont take it as one. :hug:

i didnt take offense to your post at all. after i read what you had quoted, i realized my cat erased half my post and it sounded really bitchy LOL (chloe was helping me type) im sorry i didnt mean for it to sound that way.
sometimes how i talk does get interpreted as hateful but i promise its not. trust me, youd know if i was offended or mad hahaha ^.~

Latest posts

Back