Essential nails course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the no other option choice, regarding childcare, transport etc.

But as far as difference in learning goes, I don't get the point. With a foundation class here in my country (CND) you have 3-4 days, yes, but after that you have between 6-9 months before you take your exam, and FREE training evenings/days with a tutor (as many as you like always, even after exam) and you can always call and troubleshoot with the distributor. This seems to me that you can learn at your own speed then???

For me it would be better to have someone there to show me, as there's a lot more to be learned than just from a dvd. It's a hands on job, and you have to admit that the trainer doesn't lift, is easy to sculpt on, haven't got real nail troubles or even that many different nails. The trainerhand isn't like real people, so even after you complete you cannot charge as qualified, and have to start over on real people, charging less, but have to pay a conversion too.... To expensive to me...

I don't mean to offend, I just don't get it:hug::hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I discovered that my hairdresser had only worked on a plastic head before cutting the hair of paying customers I would be horrified - how is that different with Nail Techs?

Well i certainly had a lovely plastic head when i did hair training lol.. evil looking thing she was lol..

sorry had to get that one in the fray :O):lol:

Well i certainly had a lovely plastic head when i did hair training lol.. evil looking thing she was lol..

sorry had to get that one in the fray :O):lol:

But you didn't go straight from your evil looking plastic head to paying customers did you :)? And that is the point here, a nail trainer is a fantastic thing but is shouldn't be the only thing used in nail tech training. Real people with real nails are a completely different thing......

But you didn't go straight from your evil looking plastic head to paying customers did you :)? And that is the point here, a nail trainer is a fantastic thing but is shouldn't be the only thing used in nail tech training. Real people with real nails are a completely different thing......

lol true, but we did do go onto client nights though with some rather keen models.

i am too doing the en gel course and am loving it, i cant find any other course apart from quite some way from me at CND, but then i do work part time and also have a child, am comfortable with it and i am also a fully qualified beautician ( igave up hair after having extreme eczema) so have done my qual in manicure and pedicure.
:lol:

Some people couldnt learn nail skills if their life depended on it, no matter how good the teacher was!

yet you still took their money ......... this backs my theory that nails are somewhat an inbuilt talent, yet schools still take their money.

Did you put your signature on the bottom line?

Do they think they are qualified?

OR, did you do them a favour and refund them, fail them ?

What does a respected school do about students like this?

How would you feel if your gynaecologist that had only ever used a plastic ......?

Does that bring it into perspective ?

How would you feel if your gynaecologist that had only ever used a plastic ......?

Does that bring it into perspective ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice one Carl

ahhhh well we all have to start somewhere i guess lol..

I could go on the same with regard to beauty courses which give you a qualification in like 2-3 days !!! i was in college full time for 3 years.. !!!

at the end of the day does it matter whether you are CND,NSI,En or any other comapny or qual, we are all in the same proffession albeit different levels of experience and learning..

If this forum is purely for CND/Sweet Squared then it should be only for those qualified or taking the course and not open to other learners from other companies, home learn or otherwise.

yes fair enough advise people on what you think when they ask what to do about courses, but just because some are choosing to home learn thorugh a reputable company with a qual at the end of it. they shouldnt be made to feel like its wrong.

Enough said ..

am off to work.

I could go on the same with regard to beauty courses which give you a qualification in like 2-3 days !!! i was in college full time for 3 years.. !!!
We're not talking about beauty qualifications, we're talking about nails and the training thereof.

at the end of the day does it matter whether you are CND,NSI,En or any other comapny or qual, we are all in the same proffession albeit different levels of experience and learning..
We're not talking about the specific companies but the fact that one can be 'qualified' without ever having worked on real clients, only ever the nail trainer.

If this forum is purely for CND/Sweet Squared then it should be only for those qualified or taking the course and not open to other learners from other companies, home learn or otherwise.
This forum is for all salon professionals, you seem to have been mislead into thinking otherwise, I can't for the life of me think where from :rolleyes:

yes fair enough advise people on what you think when they ask what to do about courses, but just because some are choosing to home learn thorugh a reputable company with a qual at the end of it. they shouldnt be made to feel like its wrong.

Enough said ..

am off to work.

I agree, enough said!!!

Last edited:
I think enough is enough now as this is going round in circles and there is none so blind as those who will not see!.

Ok peeps, this baby has reached the point of no return so the lock and key cometh.

I'm lucky because I get the power of the 'last word' on the subject and peeps, I will try not to disappoint.

Education is a wonderful thing. It is a tranformative process that has a clear start, but for the true professional no end. That sounds kind of poetic put that way, that is... until the home learn discussion comes up here on SalonGeek.com. Then its like Jets vs. The Sharks in a dance to the death.

Why? Because these home learn course rant are always are comprised of:

1- The people that have only ever done a home learn course and are ravenously pro home learn course training. They feel on the defense because their very entry into the industry is being brought into disrepute.

2- The people that have never done a home learn course and are horribly appalled that it is even an option. They are on the warpath to exterminate what they perceive as sub par methods of qualifying oneself as a 'professional'.

Home Learn: Professional Course or Root of all Evil?

A home learn course is a great option for many people who want to take a first step into or try out the profession before making a serious training plunge. Is a home learn course enough to qualify someone as a professional? I can't think of a professional that has had the benefit of more than a Home Learn course that hasn't said that it is more than enough.

Saying that, I cannot agree that a short (i.e. under 1 week) course constitutes enough training as a professional either!

Home learn is a start. Instructor lead short course is a start. But neither qualify you as a professional.

So if we agree that both is a start, which is better than?

Well, this is where it gets to be subjective. IMHO, Home Learning lends itself better to some learners than a classroom, however if you can get to a classroom, it is my experience that MOST students learn better in an instructor led environment (notice how I emphasized the word Most!). Classroom graduates may need more private practice time while Home Learn graduates may need more real people time.

Regardless, either 'entry' option is only a start. Those that treat it as the 'end' will watch their career follow suit.

In closing, I want to make a short comment on the people recommending the EN Facebook page. I just checked it out and found some surprisingly two-faced, venomous and ignorant people over there bashing this site, my business and my family. So if thats your kind of 'thang' then go join because some of the types of *erm* 'discussions' I saw there tonight would never be allowed here (a professional forum). I am actually pretty shocked and immensely disappointed that EN would allow and encourage that type of activity. I do hope that those 'colourful' people (yes, we know who you are) will indeed stay on the EN facebook page that they clearly so love and leave this site alone.

nJoy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back