EU Regulations - is there a minimum age for enhancements now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I was talking to a hairdresser today who said that EU regulations now prevent her from doing colour processing on clients under the age of 16.

I haven't done enhancements on teens in awhile, but when I have I've had them get a consent form signed by a parent. Now I'm worried that there's been a change in regulations and I've missed it (I've only been doing part time mobile the past 2 years).

Have the rules changed? Can anyone direct me to the most up to date regulation so I'm on the right side of the rules?

Many thanks!

I was talking to a hairdresser today who said that EU regulations now prevent her from doing colour processing on clients under the age of 16.

I haven't done enhancements on teens in awhile, but when I have I've had them get a consent form signed by a parent. Now I'm worried that there's been a change in regulations and I've missed it (I've only been doing part time mobile the past 2 years).

Have the rules changed? Can anyone direct me to the most up to date regulation so I'm on the right side of the rules?

Many thanks!

I'm not a lawyer, but try to keep on top of the EU regs. I've not seen any law that states a minimum age for nail enhancements.

My personal advice would be to get the parent to sign a formal agreement and removal of liability for the salon if they are under 18 years old. Older than that they are adults in law.

Many thanks!

I'd always check with your insurance company then you know you're covered.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not illegal to colour the hair of under 16's.

The EU regulations are concerned with labelling of various products within the hair & beauty industry.

It includes instructions on tint tube boxes and shop bought box dyes stating 'Not to be used on persons under the age of 16' or similar wording. Shops cannot be prosecuted for selling a box dye to a 14 yr old.

The reason that a hairdresser can't go ahead and tint a child's hair is that all standard insurance policies require you to follow manufacturers instructions. Therefore, as the instructions state the product is NOT to be used on under 16's, you would void your insurance if you went ahead and tinted the hair.

Therefore, you need to check the product instructions in case there's any guidance given.

Hope that clarify's matters a bit more?

My personal advice would be to get the parent to sign a formal agreement and removal of liability for the salon if they are under 18 years old. Older than that they are adults in law.

In the UK, any sort of written waiver of liability for harm has no legal standing.

The salon (and possibly staff) will always remain liable for any harm suffered by the client. That's why it's vital to be adequately insured.

I don't know the details but I attended a training course last week and the trainer was telling us that there are several new laws being processed which are going to affect us in this industry. One of which is also that unless you have a specific pregnancy massage qualification no treatments will be allowed at any stage during pregnancy, including pedicures and manicures. File and polish ok but absolutely nothing else!

Like I said I don't know all the details but there are legal changes coming for our industries!

I don't know the details but I attended a training course last week and the trainer was telling us that there are several new laws being processed which are going to affect us in this industry. One of which is also that unless you have a specific pregnancy massage qualification no treatments will be allowed at any stage during pregnancy, including pedicures and manicures. File and polish ok but absolutely nothing else!

Like I said I don't know all the details but there are legal changes coming for our industries!

I know you don't know too much but would that include Shellac application do you think?

Or would it be just with full on mani/pedis with arm and leg massages included?

Seems a bit harsh to have to have a full pregnancy massage qual just to apply Shellac.

I know you don't know too much but would that include Shellac application do you think?

Or would it be just with full on mani/pedis with arm and leg massages included?

Seems a bit harsh to have to have a full pregnancy massage qual just to apply Shellac.

I think Shellac would be ok but no massage, no hard skin removal etc literally just file and colour application. There were other things she mentioned too but I honestly can't remember, not just about pregnant women, but under 16's also.

This is all legislation which is in the process of being put through so will be a long way away yet.

I think Shellac would be ok but no massage, no hard skin removal etc literally just file and colour application. There were other things she mentioned too but I honestly can't remember, not just about pregnant women, but under 16's also.

This is all legislation which is in the process of being put through so will be a long way away yet.

Ah good :)

It's good to know we may finally be getting some solid regulation!

Ah good :)

It's good to know we may finally be getting some solid regulation!

I know! We've been asking for regulation for so long in our industry I just hope it doesn't end up making stupid restrictions while still allowing uneducated, unprofessional cowboys to carry on :confused:

I know! We've been asking for regulation for so long in our industry I just hope it doesn't end up making stupid restrictions while still allowing uneducated, unprofessional cowboys to carry on :confused:

Oh god, me too! I hope they're actually consulting a few people from the industry and not just making it up as they go along!

Thanks everyone - I'll touch base with my insurer tomorrow :)

In the UK, any sort of written waiver of liability for harm has no legal standing.

The salon (and possibly staff) will always remain liable for any harm suffered by the client. That's why it's vital to be adequately insured.

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that having not lived in the UK for many years.

Why not get in touch with your insurance company first? And look at what HABIA say. I personally have never in 23 years done enhancements on anyone under 16.x

Latest posts

Back