Evening Nail Courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairey

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to all this.....

I'm looking into doing an evening course at college called VTCT Level 2 in Nail Treatments which is just learning the basics and then to follow on from that course im looking into doing the VTCT VRQ Level 2 Certificate in Nail Technology which is learning how to do acrylics etc. Both these classes are 3 hours a week for 18 weeks.

I'm just looking for some advice as to whether or not these courses are good and will give me the correct qualifications to obtain a job or if i'd still need more training afterwards?

Any help is much appreciated

Claire x x

I'm looking into doing an evening course at college called VTCT Level 2 in Nail Treatments which is just learning the basics and then to follow on from that course im looking into doing the VTCT VRQ Level 2 Certificate in Nail Technology which is learning how to do acrylics etc. Both these classes are 3 hours a week for 18 weeks.

I'm just looking for some advice as to whether or not these courses are good and will give me the correct qualifications to obtain a job or if i'd still need more training afterwards?

Claire x x

Most of we professionals do not have a very high regard for college training ... your training will be as good as the teacher you get is the real answer. Best you can do is check out the reputation of the teacher not the college.

Geeg's answer above is very true, but in addition I would say that no matter what training you undertake, that you should consider nails a career that will always require ongoing training.

Your first course should (somewhat training provider dependant) give you the required knowledge to enter the industry at a junior level, but how good you are from there on does depend on the application of what you have learnt, your personal ability (some people have more natural flair than others) and what your goals are.

I've known several technicians enter a salon/job after their first course and soon work to a reasonable standard, but only when they further that education do they become great technicians.

Hi there, I'm just coming to the end of this course and would echo what the 2 previous posters have said.

I am nowhere near ready to go out into the nail world and work commercially .......but thanks to this site I know that I'm not ready and I know what further steps I need to take and where to go to get the further training and mentoring that I'll need to get to where I want to be. Unfortunately the others on my course "think" that they are doing great, and that worries me.....because regardless we are all going to pass!!!

I don't know whether you will be getting financial help with the course through ILA Scotland, I did and because of that feel that even though I have not got out of the course what I hoped it has still been of use to me and a foundation, be it a rather sandy one, for me to build on.

My next stop is the Fingertips Centre at Newbridge in Edinburgh, where I intend to get further training....I KNOW I will get top class nail education from some of the best in the industry locally. Not just that but I will also get fantastic follow up care and someone available to help me with any queries or quibbles for the rest of my nail career.

So in short, do your research and if you do go ahead with college, go with your eyes open........get yourself on here as much as you can and drink up all the knowledge you will find here, read the tutorials, search for your answers and ask for help. Then when your course is finished remember that you haven't finished learning, but you are lucky that you have access to the best in the business as and when you need to further your skills.

If you will be paying full price for your course then I would say save up the extra pounds and get yourself to Fingertips right from the start, their number is 0131 333 3180, they will be able to give you all the information on their courses and set you on the right track.

HTH, Lou xx

Claire x x

Hi Claire,

They are exactly the same courses as what I did and am currently doing. I think they are both fantastic courses. I am extremely lucky and have a fantastic tutor on Nail Tech. She is so passionate about what she does, but I know that this isn't always the case. Definitely do some research on the tutor if you can! I also think that you will always need to keep learning and take on extra training to be and remain a Professional Nail Tech. My tutor says that the day you think you know it all and don't need to learn anymore is the day to get out of the industry.

Good luck with your courses if you do decide to do them.

Latest posts

Back