Exactly what equipment do I need to train in Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHNOR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a holistic therapist and have begun expanding my business and have crossed over slightly into some beauty based treatments. Next on my list is Shellac (lots of clients asking for it) I am undertaking my manicure/pedicure course next week and I'm terrified as I know nothing about nails and cannot file my own without them looking uneven :sad: please say it's not too difficult to pick up?!

My next step is to do the one day shellac course with CND, and hopefully once I gain experience, move on to do more training with them. Is the course suitable for a complete beginner like me? Also exactly what equipment do I need? I have looked on Ellisons and they have a salon starter kit and an intro kit, do they not contain all the same equipment? What do I need, to train and to provide shellac on the hands and feet?

As well as offering shellac, I'll be offering mani's and pedi's once my course is complete. Excuse my ignorance, but do you just offer a clear polish after this treatment or is it just personal preference? I read a thread about vinylux and am interested in the sounds of it, but wouldn't you pretty much have to charge the same as a shellac treatment?

Thanks in advance x

When you book on the course you will get a letter telling you exactly what you need but basically it's-

CND cuticle remover
CND cool blue
CND scrub fresh
CND d sperse
Lint free pads
A bottle of water with a touch of hand wash in it
Your cuticle tools
2 shellac colours in dark
2 shellac colours for french (cream puff and clearly pink)
And your CND lamp

Hope this help x

Oh and for removal-

CND shellac remover wraps
A wooden stick
Cnd's pure acetone
(Can't remember what it's called)

X

Hi everyone,

I am a holistic therapist and have begun expanding my business and have crossed over slightly into some beauty based treatments. Next on my list is Shellac (lots of clients asking for it) I am undertaking my manicure/pedicure course next week and I'm terrified as I know nothing about nails and cannot file my own without them looking uneven :sad: please say it's not too difficult to pick up?!

My next step is to do the one day shellac course with CND, and hopefully once I gain experience, move on to do more training with them. Is the course suitable for a complete beginner like me? Also exactly what equipment do I need? I have looked on Ellisons and they have a salon starter kit and an intro kit, do they not contain all the same equipment? What do I need, to train and to provide shellac on the hands and feet?

As well as offering shellac, I'll be offering mani's and pedi's once my course is complete. Excuse my ignorance, but do you just offer a clear polish after this treatment or is it just personal preference? I read a thread about vinylux and am interested in the sounds of it, but wouldn't you pretty much have to charge the same as a shellac treatment?

Thanks in advance x

Sweet Squared are the only people to speak to for authorised / genuine Shellac training. Welcome - Sweet Squared

You need to have a manicure certificate in order to buy/train in shellac. This does not have to be with cnd (although I highly recommend their naturally course which would be perfect for your situation and would set you up with both the skills and products needed for shellac and spa manicure and spa pedicure) however it is worth checking that the particular course you are doing is accepted by them as some of the cheap one/two day corses don't offer an accredited qualification, and won't be accepted (for insurance purposes also)

Painting nails professionally is a skill, that needs to be practised and perfected. It is easy to do badly, not so easy to do well. Once you have that licked, no extra skill is required for Shellac just a different procedure and a few techniques to learn to get the best out of it. The Shellac course is not for complete beginners but for people qualified/experienced in manicure pedicure who are new to Shellac or need some trouble shooting/refresher training. The beginners course would be CND Naturally or CND Complete if you also want to do enhancements, both of which include days on manicure and pedicure and Shellac training.

Vinylux would be priced below a Shellac manicure as the service is quicker, uses less products and only lasts 1 week.When you get qualified and see the price of Shellac vs Vinylux you will get it! It is recommended to charge a little more than a regular polish service though as the client should get longer wear. 20% more is the figure I've seen. In comparison a Shellac manicure should be a minimum 50% more than a regular polish service.

Yo could specify clear polish as part of a basic pedicure package but some people will want colour or french so you need to have a menu option for them too.

Ellisons is a Sweet Squared authorised DP (distributor partner) and the Shellac training offered at their training academy is given by a CND trained Shellac trainer. So no worries about the training, but going to a CND Education Ambassador for both your manicure and Shellac training would be quite a different and elevated experience for you IMHO.

The most important skill is painting when using Shellac, and a complete understanding of the science behind Shellac ... You will only get t his on a CND course through Sweet Squared. 08452106060 if you want to speak to S2 for more details. X

When you book on the course you will get a letter telling you exactly what you need but basically it's-

CND cuticle remover
CND cool blue
CND scrub fresh
CND d sperse
Lint free pads
A bottle of water with a touch of hand wash in it
Your cuticle tools
2 shellac colours in dark
2 shellac colours for french (cream puff and clearly pink)
And your CND lamp

Hope this help x

I am on the Shellac course in Glasgow at the weekend and have only been told to bring my lamp, top, base and 2 colours with me.

I think it depends on the Educator that is taking the class. They did however, mention you need to purchase the Shellac kit within a month of the class to receive your certificate, but I already have it :)

thank you for all the replies.

i've spoken to sweet squared who were really helpful and i'm doing the training with them in manchester once i qualify in mani's/pedi's. i've already paid for the mani/pedi course and can't get a refund, so can't train through sweet squared in this.

would you advise me to contact sweet squared once i've qualified in mani's and then buy the kit? rather than send them my qualifications and choose my own colours/kit etc...?

thank you for all the replies.

i've spoken to sweet squared who were really helpful and i'm doing the training with them in manchester once i qualify in mani's/pedi's. i've already paid for the mani/pedi course and can't get a refund, so can't train through sweet squared in this.

would you advise me to contact sweet squared once i've qualified in mani's and then buy the kit? rather than send them my qualifications and choose my own colours/kit etc...?

Yes definitely, S2 have some good shellac packages, saving some money.

I am on the Shellac course in Glasgow at the weekend and have only been told to bring my lamp, top, base and 2 colours with me.

I think it depends on the Educator that is taking the class. They did however, mention you need to purchase the Shellac kit within a month of the class to receive your certificate, but I already have it :)

I did the course in Leeds. Once booked, they sent me a letter with this list on it. I also had to take a model (who turned up with gelish on) :-/
It may depend on the educator. Ring sweet squared, they are very helpful xx

Latest posts

Back