Exasperated with L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe1978

Reaction score
I am currently doing an NVQ2 in Nail technology which I am thoroughly enjoying even the pedicures (yes I am weird lol ), however the l&p are starting to wear me down....
I have done quite a few sets now and my ratio seems good.. I practise lots on a laminated sheet I have and my beads do as they should sit there and expand a tiny bit, my prep is always done and my filing is where it should be ie no damage to nails when nails fall off. Now this is my problem they are either just coming off or the tips crack at corners. I work from above cuticle area to tip and am wondering if I should reverse it. I am also wondering if I am either overworking acrylic or not patting down hard enough to make it adhere...

Any help/tips constructive critism would be greatly appreciated.
Ty :Scared:

Hi Hun

I've been where you are now lol does your head in at times but I loved it.

Ok firstly talk to your teacher he/she can watch you work and decide where you are having issues.

It could be a number of things, prep, mix ratio, product etc.

Prep has to be absolutely number one in my book for being done properly. Nail plate must be ABSOLUTELY free from all cuticle, debris and dust if not lifting is imminent. What products are you using? CND are fabulous products and once you have passed your NVQ I would seriously consider a conversion to them or any other reputable nail company. The products are superior and definitely help in lifting and application. Inferior products just make the job harder.

After cuticle removal you must gently remove surface shine with no more than a 240 grit file then clean with a suitable cleaner such as scrub fresh so the nail looks White and chalky in appearance. Nails that break at the corners usually mean you don't have the apex quite right and probably not enough product.
Do you need to use primer? I'm still a newbie myself and nails take a long time to get right but boy oh boy you will get addicted. Enjoy Hun don't stress it gets easier.

Have a chat with your tutor, make a list of questions. Let us know how you get on. Good luck Hun xxx

Hiya,

My prep is
Sanitise mine and clients hand
Cuticle remover on all ten nails using cut out method
Use cuticle pusher and scrape away any dead skin on nails
Lightly remover surface shine
Clean off nails using a nail brush
Dehydrate
Tip
Dehydrate again
Prime

One thing I always remember is once when using cuticle remover I got lifting four hours later :eek:

The cuticle remover got under the eponychium and down the sidewalls.
After applying my acrylic it must have leaked out where I had not removed it properly andnthey all lifted. I only ever really dry prep now unless it's a new client and they have absolutely terrible cuticles.

I bought myself the CND double ended chisel and curette they are absolutely fantastic tools for removing cuticle.

Xx

Hiya,

My prep is
Dehydrate
Tip
Dehydrate again
Prime

Not sure what cut out method is have not heard of that. When applying tips has your tutor showed you how to blend properly. Even well less tips need to be blended a little bit. Also when applying tips make sure you apply glue to free edge and tip. Click into place then press down ears at either side of tip.
Make sure the tip fits properly from sidewall to sidewall. If too tight the tip will fight to reshape
itself, which in turn causes your client discomfort as it pulls on the nail bed and can cause tips to come off.

Don't get primer on the nail tip it can cause the tip to crack.

There are lots of much more experienced geeks than me on here I'm sure they can also give you valuable help. Geeg is amazing she gave me tonnes of tips when I started out, her info is out of this world.

Where are you doing your NVQ Hun are you college or salon based xx

when you say you are working from cuticle to tip, do you mean you are using the 'reverse' method?

make sure you remove all traces of cuticle remover ....

Hiya,

My prep is
Dehydrate
Tip
Dehydrate again
Prime

Ok, I see one big issue in your steps straight away,
how are you removing the cuticle remover from the nails after cleaning the nail plate?
Cuticle pushers are good but no where near as good as a curette, since I started using a curette I have had no lifting issues and it makes you realise that before starting to use it, there was still non living tissue left behind that can cause lifting.
Then after this step of using cuticle remover and cuticle pusher/curette, you should be using a cleansing product to wipe it all away and to make sure you are getting right into the sidewalls and getting any possible left over cuticle remover, removed.
You can not soley rely on a mani brush to remove dust and debris, you should always use a wet cleansing product.

Are you using well less tips? if you are not and you are blending, then again, you must use a wet cleansing product and mani brush to remove all that dust.

Thanks for all the replies!!

I have been back to my tutor who had me sit down and do a set. She said they were absolutely fine so we then went through the clients who were lifting their background, health etc and she reckons it is actually the clients as they are on some medication and have not had enhancements for a long while and have bad habits. Told me to persevere and I should see improvements on the nail lasting.. which is coming along already only 3 have lifted and the rest are still perfect!! Am so pleased I got the feedback it has given me new confidence to start taking on more clients. I did get told off for reversing though and have gone back to the way I was taught lol

Latest posts

Back