Excel spreadsheet for bookkeeping, etc.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aayspa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wanting to do my own tax and keep thorough records of my incomings, outgoings, treatments etc but just don't know where to start!

I know what I need/want on there but how do I even start?! It's going to be humongous!

I know I need:
Dates (obviously)
Client name
Treatment
Price
Items retailed and price

Anything paid out for (petrol, stock orders, bills etc)

Do I need to put clients address and mileage or will petrol receipts be enough?

What about clients having more than one treatment, do you start a new column for a 2nd treatment or lump them together? But then how will I be able to make reports on most popular treatments, biggest spending clients etc

Argh it's a minefield!

Can anyone help?!

Thank you in advance x

If you're unsure you could have as many columns as you want and write simple macros to automate sub totals and totals, it's much easier to have more and scale down if you think it's more appropriate at a later date than trying backtrack because you haven't got enough electronic information. Or you could link 2 work sheets, one for financials and one for business intelligence if you find it's too much for one worksheet.

I recently completed a Level 1 Computerised Bookkeeping Course at a local college using SAGE Line 50 software. Level 1 covers the basic use of the software suitable for the production of small business accounts – once familiar with the software it is very straightforward to enter supplier/customer details, record all payments from and into your bank account and petty cash etc...

If I was running my own small business I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Sage Instant Accounts (Sage Instant Accounts 2013 | Accounts Software | Sage UK Store) software (including E-learning training) – I would actually enjoy doing my accounts!

I'll be doing Level 2 this month, and if I was to do Level 3 and buy the full blown software I could set myself up as a bookkeeper – I might be looking for guinea pigs in the near future, anyone interested in free bookkeeping watch this space! :)

Hope this helps

Paul

PS Sorry I don't have any suggestions for Excel spreadsheets x

Last edited:
If you're unsure you could have as many columns as you want and write simple macros to automate sub totals and totals, it's much easier to have more and scale down if you think it's more appropriate at a later date than trying backtrack because you haven't got enough electronic information. Or you could link 2 work sheets, one for financials and one for business intelligence if you find it's too much for one worksheet.

It's all just so complicated! Maybe I need a course in how to make a spreadsheet. Entering the information on a daily/weekly basis is easy peasy but setting the whole thing up just seems beyond me. I tried several times last night and kept deleting everything as it just looked a mess and didn't do what I wanted lol x

It sounds like you would be better with some salon specific software that integrates with accounting software. The salon software stores all the client details and sales and it will then transfer this data into the accounting package. The accounting package can then be used for everything else (Bills, Petrol).

Our software www.youreontime.com is currently about to release our link to the www.xero.com accounting software, but there is other software that does the same thing.

It will be more expensive but if accurate records save a couple of hundred £ come tax time then it paid for itself.

Latest posts

Back