Experience with Olaplex, pre-pigging and going dark from bleach blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND2304

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this site, I'm a hairdresser who has just moved location and currently on maternity leave.
My problem is I've been bleach blonde for the past 2 years (using platinium +40vol) my hair is level 5/6 very stubborn to lift, work used to do my roots and my hair was actually healthy. When I got pregnant my hair started going dry and odd breakage and when I went to have my roots done at a local salon when I moved across the country the woman put the bleach on and only used 20vol but she over lapped the colour and my scalp was burning and when I got home noticed my hair breaking off slightly on my parting and crown. I was absolutely devastated to say the least, she's somehow managed to completely ruin my fringe area and top layer (so damaged!)
Anyway this was 7 weeks ago and my roots are huge. I ideally want to go closer to my natural base but more warm and only use semis but in the past when I have tried to go darker from this colour the colour literally washes out after 2 washes and goes wishy washy until the bleach grows out. I know my hair is porous. (This has happened more than once when trying to go darker , literally nothing stops it going wishy washy and fading)
My plan is to pre pig with dia light 6.34 and then put 5.35 or 5.3 dia richesse over the top and put olaplex in my mixtures (already done stand alone treatments) but I've never used olaplex on a client only myself as a treatment, I was just wondering if anybody has experience of going from bleached hair to darker with olaplex and if it helped with the trouble of the colour fading? I'm at such a loss and devastated!

That's what happens when you abuse your hair with 40 vol unfortunately! Yes olaplex will help the colour last longer

That's what happens when you abuse your hair with 40 vol unfortunately! Yes olaplex will help the colour last longer

As stated my hair was fine with 40 vol as was only having my roots done and it was healthy until I got pregnant. The damage started when I got pregnant and I had someone new do my roots and over lap them and that was with 20 vol

So true!

As stated my hair was fine with 40 vol as was only having my roots done and it was healthy until I got pregnant. The damage started when I got pregnant and I had someone new do my roots and over lap them and that was with 20 vol
Your hair reacts differently when pregnant so it isn't down to the new hairdressers fault, yes she shouldn't of overlapped the bleach but you can't solely blame her as you have said being pregnant has caused the change in your hair. There are some hairdressers that won't touch pregnant ladies due to reasons like this.

How long have you been doing the stand alone treatments for? Have you been doing anything else to combat the dryness since finding out you was pregnant?

Your hair reacts differently when pregnant so it isn't down to the new hairdressers fault, yes she shouldn't of overlapped the bleach but you can't solely blame her as you have said being pregnant has caused the change in your hair. There are some hairdressers that won't touch pregnant ladies due to reasons like this.

How long have you been doing the stand alone treatments for? Have you been doing anything else to combat the dryness since finding out you was pregnant?

I appreciate that it isn't solely her fault it going dryer but where it snapped off is exactly where it has been overlapped.
I had my roots done 8 weeks before this happened whilst pregnant and my hair was fine.
I had a skin test prior to my appointment aswell.
I've had 2 stand alone treatments in the past 4 weeks and have been alternating these with using the number 3 treatments aswell. I plan to do another 2 weekly 1 and 2 treatments before I colour and use it in mixtures.
Also been using oils and sulphate free shampoo (kerastase) as well as using Masks and also purchased some redKen extreme conditioner and anti snap to try help the damage where it broke.
My hair is naturally coarse and dry and. Wey thick not being pregnant aswell so it's not like it's naturally soft hair.

I'm struggling to see why it's doing it after just once of overlapping but that may be down to you being pregnant.
I'm blonde and use bleach and 6% and sometimes do it myself so the back gets overlapped slightly sometimes when I've gone abit bog eyed from staring in two mirrors if you get me, but it's never snapped or gone dry after one application. But then again you've previously had it on with 40 vol so that may be why.

As olaplex only works on the inside have you noticed a change in elasticity? As really what your asking is how your colours going to last. Previously it would of been washing out or fading fast due to the porosity of your hair. I've used only the number 3 at home once a week for 3 weeks before I coloured my hair did my roots and then toned to white used a toner to get to a nice grey silver colour and its lasted really well compared to how it would of done without the treatment.

So pre pigging and using olaplex will make stay better but you will always get a fade with you being so light to start with x

It's because 6% was overlapped onto 12% had 6 gone over 6 this would never have happened, just continue with olaplex & the other treatments it'll get better eventually, dare I ask did you use olaplex in the bleach?

I'm struggling to see why it's doing it after just once of overlapping but that may be down to you being pregnant.
I'm blonde and use bleach and 6% and sometimes do it myself so the back gets overlapped slightly sometimes when I've gone abit bog eyed from staring in two mirrors if you get me, but it's never snapped or gone dry after one application. But then again you've previously had it on with 40 vol so that may be why.

As olaplex only works on the inside have you noticed a change in elasticity? As really what your asking is how your colours going to last. Previously it would of been washing out or fading fast due to the porosity of your hair. I've used only the number 3 at home once a week for 3 weeks before I coloured my hair did my roots and then toned to white used a toner to get to a nice grey silver colour and its lasted really well compared to how it would of done without the treatment.

So pre pigging and using olaplex will make stay better but you will always get a fade with you being so light to start with x

I think it is mainly because of pregnancy, I've had it overlapped with 40s slightly in the past and it not break, my hair is usually quite strong. But this stylist overlapped a good half an inch round the crown you can see how much she overlapped. Also I usually use platinium and this salon used rusk. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, even though my skin test was fine my scalp still went really bad and that was with 20 vol. but I think pregnancy is a big factor in it!
I have noticed a change with olaplex yeah, elasticity seems to be improving and my hair deffo feels stronger.
In the past when it's not grabbed nothing has helped what so ever until the bleach grown out so I'm just hoping this won't be the case again and that olaplex will help with it as olaplex wasn't around last time I had this problem! Would hate to have wishy washy hair again for a year :/ I suppose I can only try, I know for certain this whole episode has put me off ever having bleach on my scalp again!
Thank you for replying aswell X

I think it is mainly because of pregnancy, I've had it overlapped with 40s slightly in the past and it not break, my hair is usually quite strong. But this stylist overlapped a good half an inch round the crown you can see how much she overlapped. Also I usually use platinium and this salon used rusk. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, even though my skin test was fine my scalp still went really bad and that was with 20 vol. but I think pregnancy is a big factor in it!
I have noticed a change with olaplex yeah, elasticity seems to be improving and my hair deffo feels stronger.
In the past when it's not grabbed nothing has helped what so ever until the bleach grown out so I'm just hoping this won't be the case again and that olaplex will help with it as olaplex wasn't around last time I had this problem! Would hate to have wishy washy hair again for a year :/ I suppose I can only try, I know for certain this whole episode has put me off ever having bleach on my scalp again!
Thank you for replying aswell X
So no olaplex on the bleach.. I understand that you feel pregnancy may be an issue but I'm not sure it would affect anything other than the new growth since you've been pregnant, I would have punched that hairdresser if I saw them overlapping by half an inch! :eek: Just do the semis now and leave the bleach for a while

I'm dreading my hair when I am pregnant I'm hoping and praying that it goes the opposite way to yours and has a growth spurt and goes really thick!

Like @surf girl said keep going with the moisture treatments and the olaplex pre pig and use semis with olaplex and hopefully it will have more staying power for you! X

So no olaplex on the bleach.. I understand that you feel pregnancy may be an issue but I'm not sure it would affect anything other than the new growth since you've been pregnant, I would have punched that hairdresser if I saw them overlapping by half an inch! :eek: Just do the semis now and leave the bleach for a while

No, no olaplex in the bleach - when I had it done no salon near me used olaplex until 3 weeks later I saw one in the next town start to stock it which is where I went for the treatment. The timing was annoying.
Pregnancy had affected all my hair not just new growth, before I had my roots done whilst pregnant my hair just went dry and not itself, has have my nails :( with pregnancy hair usually goes strong and healthy or the opposite and mine just decided to do the opposite!
I was just too upset to get angry and I didn't notice how bad it was until I got home , I didn't see her over lap as I had to take my glasses off for the colour and to be honest as a hairdresser myself I just trusted a fellow hairdresser to know not to overlap.
Yeah I hope olaplex and semis will help and work out for me and not make it look worse

I'm dreading my hair when I am pregnant I'm hoping and praying that it goes the opposite way to yours and has a growth spurt and goes really thick!

Like @surf girl said keep going with the moisture treatments and the olaplex pre pig and use semis with olaplex and hopefully it will have more staying power for you! X

I just assumed mine would go nice and long , I didn't think I'd be one of the unfortunate ones! I'm just dreading the few months after birth when you can lose more hair and it go even dryer! I hope it doesn't :/
Yeah I hope the semis and olaplex work out and have staying power! Thanks! X

You had 40vol on scalp?! Frickin hell! My heads burning thinking about that!!

This is my niece she was ice white prepigged with 7.44 & colour releaser with olaplex then coloured with 6.0 and olaplex, faded to 6.3 after 1'st wash and has never budged since that colour was done in June last year and it's still a 6.3 thank you olaplex :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 55
My hair diddnt go dry after my babies were born if anything it was really greasy, it fell out a lot tho I'd scoop hair out of the bath afterwards it's unavoidable tho unfortunately it's all to do with hormones & vitamins just gotta get on with it! After you've had a baby mind the last thing on your mind is how your hair looks lol if your anything like I was a shampoo once a week was a treat! All worth it tho to see their little faces :)

That colour looks great! I really hope mine stays as long as that. Even if it lasted 2 weeks it's better than 2 washes like it always does. I hope olaplex is a miracle but I don't think it will work wonders just because I know my hair and what's happened in the past. We shall see!
Yeah I've had clients who have come in after birth a few months later and the breakage and hair loss they had was so bad!
Ha I used to have to wash mine every day but since being pregnant I can go every other day which for me is a treat in itself!
It will be worth it but I hope my baby girl doesn't inherit mad hair like mine though, I wouldn't wish it on her ha! X

That colour looks great! I really hope mine stays as long as that. Even if it lasted 2 weeks it's better than 2 washes like it always does. I hope olaplex is a miracle but I don't think it will work wonders just because I know my hair and what's happened in the past. We shall see!
Yeah I've had clients who have come in after birth a few months later and the breakage and hair loss they had was so bad!
Ha I used to have to wash mine every day but since being pregnant I can go every other day which for me is a treat in itself!
It will be worth it but I hope my baby girl doesn't inherit mad hair like mine though, I wouldn't wish it on her ha! X
She probably won't lol my hair is as fine as child's hair, my daughters hair... I can't even face blow drying it there's so dang much of it!

I also had a load of breakage whilst pregnant with twins four years ago. I only ever bleached with blondor and 6% but I think I didn't have enough protein in my diet. Also, Olaplex hadn't been invented!

I would increase your protein intake either with powders or food etc. I definitely found it made a massive difference. I also had to take a break from bleaching - which I reluctantly did for two years. But now I'm back to my bleach with a vengeance and I have no breakage! Yay!

Bleach and 12% is pretty irresponsible in my book. I do loads of double process blondes and its with lightener and 6% - perfect every time. The highest I go is 9% and that is only on two clients who are very dark.

I also had a load of breakage whilst pregnant with twins four years ago. I only ever bleached with blondor and 6% but I think I didn't have enough protein in my diet. Also, Olaplex hadn't been invented!

I would increase your protein intake either with powders or food etc. I definitely found it made a massive difference. I also had to take a break from bleaching - which I reluctantly did for two years. But now I'm back to my bleach with a vengeance and I have no breakage! Yay!

Bleach and 12% is pretty irresponsible in my book. I do loads of double process blondes and its with lightener and 6% - perfect every time. The highest I go is 9% and that is only on two clients who are very dark.

I never used to use 40vol, I used to use 30s but then my roots just stopped lifting with it. It was strange. It wasn't straight bleach it was loreal platinium (my old work we didn't use bleach just this product) which isn't as harsh and like I said my hair was healthy and strong and it wasn't too bad on my scalp. My hair is so stubborn to lift but yeah. It deffo needs the break now and trying to put protein into it and hoping going darker will help it out! Again my main concern is the colour staying put.
Pregnancy is a strange thing isn't it, our hairs didn't get the memo about getting stronger and healthier ha. I can safely say I'm never going full head blonde again- my hair is just too stubborn and the way my scalp reacted last time jut put me off. Roll on my hormones finally balancing back out in a few months !

Latest posts

Back