Extension Technician wanting to further skills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.R

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any techs out there that have gone on to complete colouring and cutting courses resulting in recognised qualifications?
I'm really enjoying doing what I do, but I feel eager to learn so much more about hair and feel limited as far as knowledge goes with regard to hair structure,cutting colouring etc etc . I want to go on as many courses as I can, however, the biggest problem is that due to having a toddler with complex learning needs, a full NVQ training course would be totally out of the question,plus, being in my late thirties, and like many others here, I also have financial responsibilities that would make an NVQ course a complete no go. I have managed to source somewhere very local to me that offers cutting and colouring courses that I could do over the course of a few months, and it's definitely something I would be interested in doing after the New Year. It's abit daunting as the last time I was in a learning environment was years ago at uni when I did my nursing, but I'm really eager to hear opinions, experience, and views of both qualified and non qualified:)

I'm in the same situation child care issues :(

I was in exactly the same position I really wanted to expand my knowledge after qualifying in hair extensions, I was so eager to learn more I am now doing my vrq level 2 two evenings a week , I am 35 have three children and work as a teaching assistant during the day .. I am truly knackered but loving it :)

I used to go to advanced/collections courses back in the day & honestly, if your able to get your hands on DVD collections of all the different aspects put out by the manufactures on techniques, thats the way to go or start out anyway! You always have it to view when you want & I find those more helpful then most of the short courses out there...more bang 4 your buck! I like having material I can review & share with peers more so than some silly certificate saying you attended L'Oreals adv. color class for a weekend-week, rushed some notes down that don't make any sense a week later & forget most of what you witnessed & paid an arm & a leg for!

Hit up big brand reps. alot of manufactures actually offer alot of little shop classes on their products. Joico used to back in the 90's....TIGI offered alot of this (4 years ago)L'Oreal sent a color tech with a live model to our shop when we tried INOA out for a live color demo....ask around see what you can dig up they also hold sometimes free chemical/product intro demos @ their wholesalers.....In Canada but I'm guessing all major brands are world wide so the offers must be universal.Good luck in knowledge gaining!

Hey I'm in a similar position I do hair extensions and have two kids, one at school and one at pre school. I'm doing a fast track level 2 and 3 NVQ course at an academy its two days a week which works out about £400 in childcare a month during term time and a out £500-£550 during school/preschool holidays, but I do more clients in the evening to cover it and I'm paying for the course with a career development loan. It is tough and I never have time to myself as I tend to see clients while my kids are at school/pre school pick them up spend the afternoon/ evening with them and when they go to bed at 7 and hubby is home I go back out to see clients. I'm home by 11.30, I do this three days/nights a week then two full days at the academy and clients every second Saturday from 8am to 8pm but it's short term and I'll be really happy to have my NVQ at the end.

The problem with short cutting and colouring courses is I'm not sure if you'll be able to get insurance to cut and colour clients without an NVQ. Do you have any night NVQ courses in your area? Where are you based? Try looking into fast track courses and career loans. Being a working mum is really tough, I definitely feel your pain but you'll get there just keep researching your options and you'll find a solution. The fact that you have a client base doing extensions which I'm guessing you've built from scratch is also a massive credit to you. Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back