Extremely dry, thin nails! What to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineinme

Reaction score
I'm losing my will to live when it comes to my customer's nails :(

She uses Solar Oil 2 x daily, wears marigolds, uses Scentsations hand cream but these are her nails.... She's not a old water drinker so as a person she tends to dehydrate her organism. We had a chat about it and I also advised seeing her doctor.

She's never had acrylics but only shellac for past few years (3?). She started coming to me coupe f months ago but her nails are getting worst and worst.

We tried:
- shellac
- Shellac with two top coats
- Brisa lite smoothing only
- Brisa lite smoothing with Shellac
- shellac base coat & top coat only
- today we're doing brisa lite sculpting

Her nails are paper thin, bendy and she really needs some strength on them but the products last about 5 days. I tried Brisa lite sculpting gel on her to overlay one finger and so far it lasted 6 days o today we're doing the lot but is there anything else I can do o help her?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375770468.276723.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375770468.276723.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 682
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375770507.215108.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375770507.215108.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 438
She's not a old water drinker so as a person she tends to dehydrate her organism. We had a chat about it and I also advised seeing her doctor.

Could you maybe edit this part of your post, I think your predictive text went a bit mental lol ;) and I have no idea what you mean :)

When you say it only lasts 5 days...how does it come off? Does it chip slightly then she picks it off or does it just peel off.
Her nails are very very dry, I can't believe she uses oil twice a day!

Are there any underlying medical issues with her that she should maybe get checked out with her GP?

Is that staining or leftover product on the nails, is the Shellac that remains on her nails difficult to remove ?

If this were my client I would recommend weekly hydrating manicures and solar oil 3-4 times a day until they were in better condition. I don't think she can be following her aftercare or they wouldn't be this bad. With any product you are using you are further dehydrating the nails and if she's not following up correctly it's only going to get worse, and the worse condition they are in the less likely your products are to last. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Has she tried opi nail envy? Works wonders for peeling and splits so it might help, hope u find a solution :)

Are they definitely not being picked off?

If they are not then I think some intensive rehydrating is needed without any overlay (as has already been suggested)

I have a bit of a theory (not backed by any research :eek:) that, when nails are this delicate, the process of releasing the base coat with acetone can disrupt the surface of the nail. This doesn't look like any damage caused with tools and you have gone through a very sensible and logical process to try to solve it. I also do believe that it is possible she has been following her aftercare.

Try oil massaged into the nail plates a few times a day for a short while to see if this makes any difference. A warm oil soak could help.

The ridges suggest dry weak nails. Loads of oil getting into the nail plate will help keep water out which is the biggest cause of damage. Wearing rubber gloves for longer than a few minutes also causes damage (sweat is absorbed by the nails yuck!)

Some nails are just not suited to Shellac however much you want them to be but I do think you could get these nails back into a condition that will accept it.

After trying the intensive oil and there is still no improvement I do have another suggestion. I'm not going to put it on a public forum as some people will do it in completely the wrong circumstances and cause more damage then say 'but you said it was OK'. PM me if nothing works.

Thank you all for your replies. We did Vinylux on her to add a bit of strength and she said she will use solar oil 4 instead 2 x a day

The blue on her nails wasn't a "Shellac staining"- but the leftovers of the polish she put in.

I would love to help her and I read to her some of your advice. I think that the problem is the previous therapist "filling off the rest of the shellac off her nails if it wouldn't come off with wraps"- that's what she told me x

You are a very helpful bunch and I really appreciate your help and expertise xx

Mum- oh go on! Pm me your idea ;) x

She's not a old water drinker so as a person she tends to dehydrate her organism. We had a chat about it and I also advised seeing her doctor.

Could you maybe edit this part of your post, I think your predictive text went a bit mental lol ;) and I have no idea what you mean :)

When you say it only lasts 5 days...how does it come off? Does it chip slightly then she picks it off or does it just peel off.
Her nails are very very dry, I can't believe she uses oil twice a day!

Are there any underlying medical issues with her that she should maybe get checked out with her GP?

Is that staining or leftover product on the nails, is the Shellac that remains on her nails difficult to remove ?

Shellac peels of her nails :/

When I look at her nails I also doubt in her aftercare routine but I can't pin her down to the floor and say "spill it out" ;) but gosh I'd love to :)

No medical issues but she doesn't drink much water.....

I hope you've read Doug Schoon's info on oil? It's on here.

I'll PM you LOL :D

I hope you've read Doug Schoon's info on oil? It's on here.

I'll PM you LOL :D

Mum can you pm please because my mum has similar nails I've tried a warm oil bath and she uses solar oil 6 times a day or more. (gets threw a pinkie in 10 days) I have also done wax if that was what you are going to pm?
Its a complete nightmare removing Shellac we always end up shouting at each other lol x

She has seen a doc and they said its her age and nothing to worry about

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a friend who's nails are similar, very ridged and not strong. They have improved with Gelish/Shellac but would be interested to hear any updates on improvements.

My friend's nails always look better with Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel underneath.

Mum, would be very grateful if you could pm me the idea too, my mums nails are like this and I'm out of ideas of what to recommend. She does take medication for underactive thyroid. Thank you x

Me too please.

I know you've already had lots of excellent advice already and sounds like youre a cnd girl but just want to share my experience with a product I would definitely recommend. My nails were thin, dry and peeling. I used SpaRitual protein boost strengthening treatment, applied it every day for a week, alongside oil twice a day and really can't believe the improvement in my nails. They are so strong now and healthy. Of course there's no guarantee she would apply it every day...!

Latest posts

Back