Eyebrow wax- did I burn my client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkfairy

Reaction score
Evening geeks,
Well this is a new one for me, I've been confidently waxing for 8 years and eyebrow waxing is my favourite area. I've never had any complaints or hurt anyone so I'm not happy about this.

Had a regular tell me this evening that after her last appointment the skin on her brow area scabbed and peeled. She was back tonight to get her brows waxed so I checked her skin and it was perfect, all the 'scabs' and flaking skin was gone.
So I proceeded as usual, cleansed the area, applied pre wax lotion, removed any moisture left on her skin, checked the temperature of the wax on myself (honey wax by the way) then stretched the skin and waxed.
She then said that the skin on her right eye was burning and sure enough there was a red line just above her eyelid. Now I'm worried that she will scab and peel again so I've advised her to put a layer of bepanthen cream on and given the usual aftercare.
I don't offer hot waxing, I am trained in it but don't feel confident in using so would like to take an appropriate course in hot wax.

Any thoughts? My client is still really happy, bless her but I'm not 😔 x

Evening geeks,
Well this is a new one for me, I've been confidently waxing for 8 years and eyebrow waxing is my favourite area. I've never had any complaints or hurt anyone so I'm not happy about this.

Had a regular tell me this evening that after her last appointment the skin on her brow area scabbed and peeled. She was back tonight to get her brows waxed so I checked her skin and it was perfect, all the 'scabs' and flaking skin was gone.
So I proceeded as usual, cleansed the area, applied pre wax lotion, removed any moisture left on her skin, checked the temperature of the wax on myself (honey wax by the way) then stretched the skin and waxed.
She then said that the skin on her right eye was burning and sure enough there was a red line just above her eyelid. Now I'm worried that she will scab and peel again so I've advised her to put a layer of bepanthen cream on and given the usual aftercare.
I don't offer hot waxing, I am trained in it but don't feel confident in using so would like to take an appropriate course in hot wax.

Any thoughts? My client is still really happy, bless her but I'm not 😔 x

This seems very strange indeed. If you have carried this treatment out on her countless times before using the same wax, making the same checks and using the same method then I would say the only thing that can have changed is her.

Is she using any new skin products or eye creams? Has she recently undergone any new facial treatments? Has she noticed any changes in her skin....is it generally more sensitive??

I also do loads of brow waxing (and love it!) Like you I don't offer hot waxing and use Hive Shimmering Lavender Creme Wax. I've always preferred creme wax as it seems stretchier, gentler and less sort of "snatchy" on the skin so you might like to consider trying this before going to cost of extra and possibly unnecessary training.

HTH
PB
x

Hi, don't be worried sometimes it happens. Every time I wax my brows I always have the same little line below my brow that scabs and peels. It doesn't matter what I use, it's just a weak area.

Could it be the afterwax you are using? I only use aloe Vera on facial areas as i find afterwax lotion sometimes irritates the skin- especially around the eyes. I also find honey wax a lot more distressing to the skin compared to creme wax.

Call her in a day or so and check how her brow is?

sounds like a friction burn which you might get if you haven't stretched the skin enough but if you feel you have done that then check as petit basque has said re medication/skincare changes.( she may be on anti-acne medication like isotretonoin for instance and waxing is contra-indicated if so)

i have had this happen on the odd client and find that generally if it happens more than once it is better to then tweeze ( hot wax not an option for you)

Thank you to both of you for your replies it's good to hear that I'm not a terrible therapist and should jack it all in lol! In all seriousness though it really knocks your confidence.

No change in medication, no new creams or products and no recent facial treatments, I think I will try cream wax with her next time, thank you for the suggestion.

I think I will change my products anyway, thank you both for taking the time to reply 😘 x

sounds like a friction burn which you might get if you haven't stretched the skin enough but if you feel you have done that then check as petit basque has said re medication/skincare changes.( she may be on anti-acne medication like isotretonoin for instance and waxing is contra-indicated if so)

i have had this happen on the odd client and find that generally if it happens more than once it is better to then tweeze ( hot wax not an option for you)

Hi Rinn sorry was posting at the same time as you there, I definitely stretched as much as I could, I suggested tweeting only but she was adamant that she wanted them waxed.

I checked that there were no changes in medication or health wise and she didn't report any changes to me, but sometimes clients forget or don't always want to divulge things that they think aren't relevant and she has suffered with acne before?

Thank you for your reply ❤ x

Ok so, I think I've gotten to the bottom of it, my client has now, after lots of probing, told me that she is using Epiduo cream. A quick google search tells me that side effects include redness, peeling, dryness, mild burning and waxing is to be avoided. Also it interacts with lots of different ingredients in products.

Thanks Rinn for the reminder about acne medication! X

Always good to get to the bottom of it x

Ok so, I think I've gotten to the bottom of it, my client has now, after lots of probing, told me that she is using Epiduo cream. A quick google search tells me that side effects include redness, peeling, dryness, mild burning and waxing is to be avoided. Also it interacts with lots of different ingredients in products.

Aha there you go then and hopefully your confidence is restored! Still suggest you try cerements wax though as it is gentler on the skin and especially on sensitive areas.

PB
x

Good to hear that everything turned out alright! I would always ask about their skin care regimen first, clients don't always realize what they're putting on their skin. Hot wax, I'm assuming is what Americans refer to as hard wax is still an option for her. It's easy to use. I actually prefer it over soft, though, it isn't as accurate. I usually use hard wax for the majority of the regrowth and then tweeze to keep the shape of the brow. Try it out on a couple of friends if you're not feeling confident. But I'm sure, with 8 years experience you will master it quickly, if not immediately.

Last edited:
Good to hear that everything turned out alright! I would always ask about their skin care regimen first, clients don't always realize what they're putting on their skin. Hot wax, I'm assuming is what Americans refer to as hard wax is still an option for her. It's easy to use. I actually prefer it over soft, though, it isn't as accurate. I usually use hard wax for the majority of the regrowth and then tweeze to keep the shape of the brow. Try it out on a couple of friends if you're not feeling confident. But I'm sure, with 8 years experience you will master it quickly, if not immediately.

Morning, I did go through her consultation before I started the treatment, but she didn't tell me about her new medication as she didn't think it was relevant 😏
I was trained in hot/hard wax years ago and would love to use it again but my training was so rubbish that I'd probably need to train again, I've got my eye on a few courses x

if your going to get back into hot wax you HAVE to get the berodins blue pellets....they are the dogs b..... :)

You did not mention that you used any oil prior to appying the wax - this does help. However I have a client like this and you do have to be be careful - I do a combination of waxing and plucking to get around her sensitivity.

if your going to get back into hot wax you HAVE to get the berodins blue pellets....they are the dogs b..... :)

I was going to buy a sample of these a while back, no idea why I didn't? Think I'll have to order some and practice on myself x

Morning Essentia, I don't use oil as I wasn't taught that way but I would really like to use it, I understand it is just the tiniest slick of oil that you need to use? Can jasmine oil be used with any type of wax?
I always wax and tweeze for precision. X

Hi Pinkfairy

Yes just a thin film of oil - what I meant to say is that I wax the less sensitive areas and tweeze the rest. I also tweeze to refine at the end of a wax as well.:biggrin:

Hi Pinkfairy

Yes just a thin film of oil - what I meant to say is that I wax the less sensitive areas and tweeze the rest. I also tweeze to refine at the end of a wax as well.:biggrin:

Thank you, I think I need to get some jasmine oil and hot wax, see how I get on x

Latest posts

Back