Eyelash extension allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrys471

Reaction score
Hi all

Hope someone can help??? I had my eyelash extensions infill on Monday, and since Wednesday my eyelids right near the lashes are red and sore??? They are a little swollen too?? What shall I do?? I have taken antihistamine tablets and it eases slightly, I've had enough now!!

I have wore extensions since around January always done at the same place, no problems before???

Could be a number of things.
You can suddenly develope an allergy against something that has before been fine but ive never experienced it.
Do they feel itchy or prickly? An extension or some adhesive may be touching the eyelid causing irritation, or some of the extensions may be heavy so pulling on natural lash, best to pop back to her to let her take a look
H xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with heather, it might be an allergy that has developed suddenly or due to another product that might be on your skin, however it might be just an extension scraping the skin.
The best would be for you to go back to your therapist and let her have a look at it as she would be the best one to assess what the problem is :O)

If it's on both eyes you have probably been sensitised to the glue. If it goes away quickly then you have been sensitised to the solvent in the glue if it persists it's the glue itself and you should remove them as soon as possible. It is not common to develop a reaction to the adhesive if your patch test was clear but it can happen even after years of wearing lashes.

Another possible cause if it's on both eyes is an infection caused by not sterilising the tweezers fully or not disinfecting hands. This should not prevent further treatment if it is caught quickly and treated by your Doctor.

Once sensitised it's unlikely that you will be able to have this treatment without further reaction, no matter which brand of glue that you use. Uncontrolled glues are more likely to cause this so it's safer to use medical grade glues (ISO 10993-5) that have been tested to not cause cell damage, even these glues can cause sensitisation if misused. Technicians that attempt to save money by using glues of questionable origin sometime don't realise the damage they are doing, not only to their clients, but to their long term business .

If it's on one eye then the lash follicle or the glands at the base of the lash have been blocked, again remove as soon as possible. Once healed you should have no problem with further treatment but you run an increased risk of becoming sensitised so please take extra care and ensure that your therapist takes time to ensure you have the required safety distance. This can be the cause on both eyes if the lashes have been applied too close to the follicle or touching the skin of the eyelid but you said that the same tech had applied before with no problem so it's unlikely.

In both cases you must contact the technician that applied the lashes and if the condition is not rapidly improving on it's own; immediately seek the advice of a health professional.

Hi all

Thank u all so much for the replies, I think she has applied some of the lashes to my actual eye lid!!!! I have just had a close look and a few lashes around the sore area are what looks like attached to my skin and not a lash!!!

I have applied an oily cream to soothe and hopefully make the lash glue break down!!!!

Thanks again everybody!!!!
Love this forum!!!! Xx

I developed a reaction after a year of having lashes done so moved on to a sensitive glue then developed a reaction to this as well after a further 6 months.
I now have to take an antihistamine before I do a clients lashes with sensitive glue :(

Latest posts

Back