Eyelash extension reaction - please help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyByNikki

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My therapist performed a patch test last on 2nd March 2013 on a new client. She did it the way I learnt from Salon Geek, to put a couple of lashes on each outer corner. The client came back on 7th March for her lash appointment. As far as I was aware, everything was fine. The client asked for rebalance prices which I emailed to her.

I received an email this morning:

"Hi Nikki

As you're probably aware I had a set of eyelash extensions on Thursday 7th march. Everything was ok and *** is lovely - just over the weekend my eyes had become very irritated and it hurt to blink. I only washed my face carefully with soapy luke warm water and eventually tried to put it down to the fact maybe my eyes weren't used to the feeling of the extensions. It was only today that my eyelashes started to fall out - they were beyond itchy and really sore and uncomfortable to blink. I gently put some olive oil over the top as my friend (who is a beautician) recommended this to help take them off and ease the itching. As you can see from the photo my eyes have been left with no lashes what so ever - they are swollen and extremely sore. I'm not sure what's happened and I don't want *** to get into any trouble as she is so lovely but maybe you could help me - I am worried now my eyelashes won't grow back and ill be left like this for the foreseeable future.

I was expecting the extensions to last up to two weeks and mine barely lasted a weekend, and left me with sore, puffy and eyelash-less eyes. As you can see there are a few extensions left - ones that haven't fallen out. Some admittedly I pulled out but it took no effort and they came away easily, even before I applied the oil.

Please help. I will forward some more photos."

So the photos don't look bad, they obviously look like too many lashes have fallen out, but I can't see any redness or swelling. I have sent an email back to say don't worry, the lashes will grow back as normal and to use oil to remove the remaining lashes as her friend has advised her.

The thing I don't know how to handle is the money. She paid £35 on a special offer for a full set of lash extensions. I normally charge £50. I use Lash Revolution Pro + Glue and she was patch tested with this glue. Do I refund the money to her? Do I offer her an alternative treatment worth £35? Do I offer nothing? I've not had this situation before in all my years of eyelash extensions so it's definitely a new one for me.

If anyone can give their experience and advise me what to do, I would be so incredibly grateful.

Difficult one, you did everything right, patch test etc.

I would not have encouraged her to take out her own lashes, I advise and of my client that if they have any problems at all to call me first. I would have wanted to see them before she started a DIY removal.

She has already admitted to pulling some out and although she says they came out easily, you also say there are some left?? I would say that by her removal/pulling she has pulled out some of her own lashes hence the lack of lashes and the soreness.

So... don't blame yourself, you did ok. The thing to decide now is how much you need or want her business. I don't think you are under any obligation to refund so there are a few options:-

Explain that as she didnt give you the chance to see the lashes before she removed there is nothing you can do. Explain that you did everything correct in regards of the patch test.

As above but as a goodwill gesture offer her another set at a discounted rate

or if you stock it or can get it offer her a lash treatment

aS a goodwill gesture a different small treatment.

I personally wouldnt give her a full refund as you may never see her again and all she will have to say about you is that your eyelashes gave her a reaction.

It really is your choice how much you want her business.

H xx

I do not feel this client has received a good aftercare service from you.

She has paid you for a professional job. It is not professional to:

use oil to remove the remaining lashes

This is terrible advice.

It is your responsibility to get her in ASAP to remove the remaining lashes. We have professional remover to remove the lashes quickly and safely.

You cannot assess from photos if she's having an allergic reaction or not. Would a doctor be happy to diagnose from a picture?

If she is having a reaction then you need to get these off to stop it. You don't know what it could lead to or how serious it could get. You don't want to be responsible for that.

Get her in and remove the lashes, then go from there.

Sorry this wasn't a positive post. I'm just very alarmed you didn't get her to come in asap

I do not feel this client has received a good aftercare service from you.

She has paid you for a professional job. It is not professional to:

use oil to remove the remaining lashes

This is terrible advice.

It is your responsibility to get her in ASAP to remove the remaining lashes. We have professional remover to remove the lashes quickly and safely.

You cannot assess from photos if she's having an allergic reaction or not. Would a doctor be happy to diagnose from a picture?

If she is having a reaction then you need to get these off to stop it. You don't know what it could lead to or how serious it could get. You don't want to be responsible for that.

Get her in and remove the lashes, then go from there.

Sorry this wasn't a positive post. I'm just very alarmed you didn't get her to come in asap

I agree with some of what you are saying, particularly removing with oil, this is definately a no no, but this client had her lashes put on on the 7th March and only contacted the OP this morning by which time "her friend" had told her to use oil to remove the lashes so as I said she could be the one that has made her eyes irritable by slopping olive oil all over them and tugging the extensions free.

Any problems and yes I agree that you must ask them to come back in and I personally would never encourage clients to do a diy removal but at the first sign of a reaction this client should have contacted the op.

I really feel for this client.

Maybe she was too embarrassed to get in touch? I've had a terrible haircut before and had my confidence knocked so I didn't say anything.

It's been less than 7 days. People have busy lives, we are allowed time to return things, make complaints etc Don't we get 7 days with retail?

For her to resort to putting olive oil them something must of been wrong. Why is this client being treated like the bad guy? A child?

Olive oil is amazingly good for the skin, would that really cause the reaction above?

OP - sorry if my post seemed harsh earlier, I was just mortified at your response.

Ok, something constructive and helpful I hope.

She's either had a reaction or a really bad set of lashes applied. You should get her in to also see which one of those it is.

Things will sometimes go wrong, that's ok. It's how we deal with it that counts.

I read one companies sales pitch / advert once. They love it when things go wrong because that's the chance they get to really shine. To prove they give exceptional customer service. If everything goes smoothly that customer doesn't get to see how fantastic they are.

I would get her to come back in, remove them for her. Ask what treatments does she normally enjoy and give her a free treatment.

It's going to be a long time before her lashes grow back, the least she can have is something nice back.

You'd also need to get the therapist who did them to say "I'm so sorry it didn't work out. You did the right thing getting in touch..."

The client needs to be made completely at ease with everyone in the salon so she feels happy to return. She'll also know if she ever has a problem you will sort it out. All my clients know this.

Firstly, I should have stated that i'm not in the salon today. I'm about 80 miles away. After seeing the initial responses I did ask the client if she wanted to come in today and I'll remove them for her. She declined as she said they've all come out anyway.

When I did my training I was told that if there is a problem and you're not able to remove them, oil can be gently massaged into them and they will loosen. When my client said that her friend suggested it, I assumed it was fairly standard.

There is no need to be mortified at my response. I am trained, insured and have been approved by Cheryl Cole of the FHT to teach lash extensions. I made a bad call by not immediately asking the client come in but later offered despite being on annual leave.

Thank you for your responses, I do really appreciate you taking the time to give advice.

Firstly, I should have stated that i'm not in the salon today. I'm about 80 miles away. After seeing the initial responses I did ask the client if she wanted to come in today and I'll remove them for her. She declined as she said they've all come out anyway.

When I did my training I was told that if there is a problem and you're not able to remove them, oil can be gently massaged into them and they will loosen. When my client said that her friend suggested it, I assumed it was fairly standard.

There is no need to be mortified at my response. I am trained, insured and have been approved by Cheryl Cole of the FHT to teach lash extensions. I made a bad call by not immediately asking the client come in but later offered despite being on annual leave.

Thank you for your responses, I do really appreciate you taking the time to give advice.

There you go, you obviously know what you are doing and was just caught on the hop by a first complaint, happened to me about 18 months ago, I was really put out by it but once I had my client back in the salon, it turned out it was nothing to do with my application anyway ( she had used oil to remove without consulting me and had damaged her lashes) I don't think its the oil itself that is the problem but the fact that clients start tugging at them rather than having the patience to wait for them to drop.

Good luck xx

I definitely don't think the client has had a reaction.

If it hurts to blink, this is caused by poor application technique and often doesn't show right away. It will happen later when the natural lashes start to try to grow out. Has your technician been lashing long?

Applying oil of any kind with not aid removal. Only a suitable debonder will safely remove SP lash glue

This lady has chosen to remove her lashes at home. She will have broken or pulled out her own natural lashes by not allowing you the opportunity to remove them professionally.

So, I don't think you are to blame for her lash loss but I do think you may need to look at the application technique of your therapist to avoid this happening again.

Hope this helps

Thanks elliebee, I was hoping you'd be along at some point!

She's been doing it over a year but has only recently joined me. I did trade test but as you know, not everything can be tested. I will have a chat and maybe get her to do a set on me.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Did she have an aftercare sheet?
Give every client one and on there make sure that you state that if they have any adverse reactions at all, then they must contact the salon.
Also state that if the lashes need to be removed for any reason then they must be removed at the salon with the appropriate remover. Any attempt to remove the lashes themselves will harm their lashes and may cause their natural lashes to be pulled out.
You need to put this information on the aftercare sheets. You could also put that you don't offer cash refunds.
At the consultation they also need to be made aware that even if they don't get a reaction from the patch test, this doesn't guarantee that they won't get a reaction when a full set is applied.
I agree with Elaine that it is probably down to the technician. I have seen lashes that look beautiful but on closer inspection you can see that they have not been properly bonded at the base and they are very irritating. They poke and scratch the eye.
Maybe get your lash technician to do a set on a model and have a good look at them after to see if you can spot any problems.

Latest posts

Back