Eyelash extensions and pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyBritten

Reaction score
Hello, my best friend wants eyelash extensions and she is half way through her pregnancy. Ive asked her to get a letter from her midwife and i will do a glue test before her treatment and get her to sign a disclaimer but im still not sure. Can anyone help?? Please!

I recently double checked with my insurance company and I am insured after they have reached the 12 weeks but I am always very careful with positioning the client once they reach the end as you should not lay clients flat especially when they are very big. I normally limit it to 1 hr max too. I have lashes clients before 12 weeks where they didn't know they were pregnant and they have been fine xx

Its actually about 16 weeks they shouldnt lay flat. If I lie flat now I get light headed and pins and needles in my hands after 5 minutes and this is because the weight of the body and baby lies on major arteries. I didnt find it happened in my first pregnancy (although I knew you shouldnt do it as it can restrict oxygen going to you and baby) but know I can actually feel the effect myself.

By the way, disclaimers dont stand up legally.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lots of threads on this on the search by the way

Thank you, been a great help

You should never lash anyone who is pregnant, they are not able to take the medication that they will need should they have a reaction to the glue, ask her to wait until she has had the baby I am sure she wont mind xxx

Had my lashes done right up until a week before my due date.. If your client is comfortable then there shouldn't be a problem as the glue is applied to the hair and doesn't come into contact with the skin xx

I would avoid the "I was fine" line of thinking, its the same as "I wasnt patch tested and I was fine" or "I'm waxed over a tendon and I was fine" etc, IMO its all about best practise every time and you only need for it to go wrong one time and have awful consequences its just not worth it.

My personal opinion is that it is safe if done properly (and I'm not talking about the lashes here).

I do pregnancy massages where women lay on their backs on water cushions; kinda like a water bed. Being that it is not advisable to lay on their backs for long periods of time the treatment is adjusted so they are at a slight angle - minimum of 10 degrees. The same could be done for lashes. I would also note that massages are, at longest on my treatment menu, 75 mins so not much shorter than a set of lashes.

As long as the client has had no complications during pregnancy, it should not make a difference as a one off. If they were asking for infills every 2 weeks I'd maybe try to stretch it to 3/4 weeks or advise against having them regularly whilst pregnant.

With regards to the patch tests and if they are allergic there are antihistamines which are safe during pregnancy. It should not get to the stage where strong drugs are needed because you should be applying such a small amount.

Did you know that 1 in 100 odd babies is stillborn? Shocking but true.

If you don't do it for them, someone else will.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You're trained in pregnancy massage, the OP obviously isnt so you'd have your client in a better position.

I wont be doing it, others may do it for her, it was fine when so and so did it, and all the other lines that I'd expect less professional people to say, chance of an allergy is unlikely.....but as per another thread on here it only takes once and as I am responsible for someone elses health for 2 hrs I'd rather have a great reputation.

Ps if I am less than 45 degrees flat on my back I get pins and needles in my hands. This shows the oxygen isnt circulating well, I am just lucky that I get a symptom to indicate it.

I just find it crazy how everyone thinks pregnancy is an illness :rolleyes:

Each to their own, I just feel that if a client is comfortable and happy and I can make it safe for them then why shouldn't they have something?

It's like callus peel is not available during pregnancy. I asked why? What could happen? Turns out absolutely nothing and pregnant people have had it before with no issues and it's mostly for the first trimester. But because the manufacturer stipulates that you can't do it, insurance is invalid if you do. I believe most lash companies will tell you to restrict lashes but not refuse them altogether. The manufacturers have generally tested their products if they say it's okay...x

I have done eyelash extensions on pregnant ladies. It's no problem, just make sure you do a glue test before you start..

Its not an illness but its a fact your body changes. Its a fact that your circulatory system changes and that lying flat compresses main arteries. Its a fact that your sensitivity changes. Its a fact that you are often unable to take the mediciation you need if required. Its a fact that infections etc pass on to your baby.

Chances are your woman would be fine, hence the hundreds of- I did it and I was fine (also my grandmas reaction to smoking in pregnancy) but I prefer to work to best practise and I dont want to be the one case to have a problem, I dont want it on my conscience. I dont want the statistics of "most people" I want to make sure I am not posing any risk at all, I dont know if she's telling me the truth, and I wouldnt have known stuff like iron affecting it if I hadnt been pregnant myself. If she wants to do it elsewhere then great. I'm just saying the facts about the risks- if your insurance covers you and you and your client are aware of all the above then its up to you.

Well that's your perogative. I just feel that if my manufacturer says it's safe then I'm taking comfort in the knowledge that they've made sure it is safe.

I do provide best practice in all my treatments but I also make sure I am fully clued up. This is exactly what patch tests are for.

And that is also why I ask to see their maternity book because they might not tell the truth but they can't hide it if it's in there ;) if they don't want to show me it then that's fine but they won't be getting a treatment from me because I need to make sure it's safe.

Completely up to you if you don't want to offer it though. I'm just saying that if you don't then chances are they will go somewhere that won't even patch test them. Which is worse?

We're not going to agree which is fine-but to me, me doing it is worse because I feel I shouldn't. Its the laying down bit thats my issue, probably because of the effect its had on me.
Agree to disagree!

No that's fine and I totally respect that. I mean if you're having problems like that then I would not do the treatment on you, as it wouldn't be safe for you, but a woman without any issues who has had a straight forward pregnancy I would do it. Good luck with your baby anyway :)

A bit off topic here but - is it just when your lying down that you get pins & needles and light headed? or do you get it at other times too? I would just mention it to your midwife and get it checked out,

To the OP, You can always advice the lady to lie slightly tilted to the left hand side or apply the lashes as upright as you can manage - this will help alleviate any pressure on the main vessels (which run down the right side hence lying on left alleviates this) patch year always recommended though.

Most companies recommend to avoid in pregnancy purely because it's not ethical to perform tests for reactions on pregnant women compared to non pregnant women so they don't actually know, hence avoid. However in pregnancy your body is more sensitised and more likely to react to things, that's why most people say to avoid anything you haven't had before xx

I have a pregnant woman being lashed just now...doing my head in, she's pulled out others previously so has gaps, she complained they weren't lasting and was in every other day for top ups...finally listened to my explanation of hormones, growth cycle etc and switched to party lashes but wants loads...same problem, none to stick them to, wants the longest ones...aargh! I'm desperate for this baby to appear so she has a break!

Latest posts

Back