Eyelash Extensions - Patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilysMummy

Reaction score
Ok, so i have currently been patch testing all my friends on the inside of their forearm/wrist the night they come over to get their lashes done by me. Was i suppose to do this 24 hours before?

With clients i dont know, am i suppose to patch test them the day before, and come back to do their treatment next day. Being a mobile extensionist, seems a bit harsh on the old petrol. Surely if they were going to have a reaction it would happen in first few mins of touching their skin?

One thread says it can be anything up to 48 hours for a reaction to occur!?
So what is the answer?

The glue is not meant to touch the skin anyways, and surely as we use under eye gel pads, primer, remover and sealant, should we not be testing all of these on their skin?

Thanks for any help

For patch testing I just apply a couple of lashes to each eye to check if the client will react. I do this 48hrs before where i can, or 24hrs if short notice.
I don't apply any glue to the skin.
It is a bit of a grey area as to if you should patch test on the skin or not. You should really just either follow what you were trained to do for patch testing or follow the glue manufacturers patch testing recommendation.
Check with your insurance company if unsure.
Hope that helps.

Jen xxx

I did my training yesterday and was told to apply a bit of glue behind the ear 24hrs prior to treatment...most people on here say to apply a couple of lashes but i am going to do it the way i was trained to :) if i change products i will follow the method for that glue xx

I was taught by two separate companies, and neither recommend patch testing, as the glue does not touch skin

I personally dont patch test, but I wouldnt recommend putting glue on the skin anywhere. Some glues are very strong and you could easily react to glue on the skin, but be ok when its used to apply lashes.

She said we dont have to patch test but if you were to want to..for example if a client were to react to a patch test to a tint or who was extremely sensitive, i would patch test doing it behind the ear :) x

Hi there,

At the end of the day you're protecting both your client (safety wise) and yourself (from costly litigation!) if you have adhered to stringent safety measures when applying eyelashes.

I know there is a lot of ambiguity around when it comes to patch testing. Mainly about where you should patch test (i.e. the eyes or other parts of the body) and how long prior to first application should you apply it (ranging from an hour to 48 hours).

I would say around 95% of cases in which clients have had problems during eyelash extension treatment are due to incorrect (or complete absence!) of patch testing.

For patch testing I just apply a couple of lashes to each eye to check if the client will react. I do this 48hrs before where i can, or 24hrs if short notice.
I don't apply any glue to the skin.
It is a bit of a grey area as to if you should patch test on the skin or not. You should really just either follow what you were trained to do for patch testing or follow the glue manufacturers patch testing recommendation.
Check with your insurance company if unsure.
Hope that helps.

Jen xxx

Jenx's stance is a good, professional viewpoint. When training we advise our students to allow 48 hours between the first patch test and the initial application of eyelash extensions, as it has been known for it to take this long for reactions to manifest. Around the eye area will give the most representative picture on how your client will react to eyelash extensions, but ensure there is no glue contact with the skin itself.

We also advise our students to use two separate types of eyelash extension glue during the patch test, with three eyelash extensions at the outer corners of each eyes. Most good brands will have a sensitive glue (with less glue vapour and a lower consistency of bonding agents) and a 'regular', stronger glue. If you adopt this method and the client has reacted to the stronger glue, but not the sensitive glue you may still be able to apply eyelash extensions to your client (at your own professional discretion, of course). We would also advise checking the terms of your insurance agreement with your provider.

Also, if you are a mobile technician, why not ask the client to pay a small amount towards an initial consultation (i.e. patch test) fee... just enough to cover expenses :).

Hope this helps!

The Eyelash Emporium

Thanks for all for your help.
I had a set done yesterday, and the lasher made me sign a disclaimer sayin no patch test given, and i give my full consent to this etc...
I asked her why she offered no patch test and she said, well glue does not touch your skin.

So i could do the same, i would just rather patch test people, as i dont want any one to have a reaction. Being mobile, it just seems silly, going to their house 48hours before, place a couple of lashes on, and then go home and come back 2 days later, i am really busy at the moment too. Would it be ok for me to contact the customer before hand and ask if they would like me to carry out a patch test, and if they do, il add on a cheeky few quid to cover petrol costs :S and if not get them to sign a disclaimer saying i did offer before??

Ohhh thanks for all your help tho :D My glue is actually from you eyelash emporium! I have the ultra strong one. So i am glad i found out you recommend patch testing.

I personally dont patch test, but I wouldnt recommend putting glue on the skin anywhere. Some glues are very strong and you could easily react to glue on the skin, but be ok when its used to apply lashes.

i'm allergic to eyelash glue when i have lashes on but have no problem when its on my skin!
a few lashes is the best test in my opinion xx

A disclaimer will not cover you for not patch testing and for your client to react hun...not worth the paper they're written on..even if its been signed clearly..it wont stand up in a court case..i havent done a full set for a client yet..but after reading this thread i am gonna make sure i am patch testing clients 48hrs before treatment. Thanks everyone xx

Latest posts

Back