Facial and waxing on 85 year old lady

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SistaBliss

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I have been addicted to this site for months now but this is my first post so please bare with me!

A friend has asked me to go and see her nan who lives in a care home as she wants me to wax her eyebrows and chin and also give her a facial.

I'm going to see her this Friday just for a consultation. I have never treated a lady of this age before and I'm not sure what to do. Would you wax an 85 year old or would you just stick to plucking? What about a facial? I'm using Eve Taylor products. What precautions should I take? I think its lovely at her age that she wants this done and don't think that age should stop her from having things done.

Please help ladies, I would appreciate any advice, really not sure what to do or how to go about this.

Terri xxxxx

Oh bless her! Well her skin will be very thin, so apply a tiny amount of oil and remove in narrow strips. Make sure you support the skin as you remove. xx

Also wait 24 hour after each treatment before the next, that is you can't wax her face and do a facial the same day. I've done both of these on the over 80s and they were both so happy to be cared for.

Thank you so much for your help. Do you mean oil before I put the wax on? I have heard of doing that but have never done it before. I only have almond oil would that be ok? From what I've read on here I only need to appy a tiny amount.

Weezie thank you there are so many different opinions on waxing/facials at the same time I never know what to do! I will follow your advice and do them on different days. I can't wait to meet her!

xxxxxxx

Yes, oil under the wax. If you don't have an oil intended for that, use a tiny amount of baby oil and blot it before you apply the wax. x

Yes, oil under the wax. If you don't have an oil intended for that, use a tiny amount of baby oil and blot it before you apply the wax. x
Thanks Kim, I will buy some good old baby oil! xxx

I did a facial on a 94 year old and she had the most amazing skin better than some of the 25 years olds.......really! I just did our normal treatment minus extraction and exfoliation.

She said at the end "Blast I have wasted all these years" as it was her first one!

It will all be fine as long as you take extra care to really stretch her skin as at that age it can be very thin and fragile. Ensure she knows what to expect with the waxing if she has not had it done before. And as weezie says it is very important to wait between the two treatments, you want to make sure she gets the best from the treatment. :) Good luck!

I really think on a lady of this age, facial waxing should be with hard wax. It's so much more gentle than strip wax. Also, I agree with Weezie, both treatments mustn't be performed on the same day. I do occasionally wax brows, or even lip after a facial but I wouldn't on a first time client and I wouldn't on a client of this age, but mainly because I'm imagining she's going to have quite coarse facial hair.

Can I just ask! - would the oil not stop the wax adhering? I have been taught to remove all oils with pre-wax before waxing but this is the opposite. Would somebody explain please - Kim?!!

Times have changed and oil really does make waxing less painful. Just a tiny amount though.

Just to add that talc does have it's place so always handy to keep in the salon; particularly good on dark haired clients. Also if when you first start using hot wax and you apply too much, you can put talc over the top and it will set quicker. If you apply the correct amount though you would never need talc. x

Last edited:
Ladies thank you so much for all of your helpful advice and comments. I won't be doing anything with her this Friday just having a consultation to speak to her about what I can do for her. Really looking forward to it now you've all put my mind at rest! Where would I be without this site!
Love to you all xxx :hug:

I did a facial on a 94 year old and she had the most amazing skin better than some of the 25 years olds.......really! I just did our normal treatment minus extraction and exfoliation.

She said at the end "Blast I have wasted all these years" as it was her first one!

Aw thats lovely! Can I just ask why did you leave out the exfoliation? I hope I'm still able to get facials when I'm 85! :biggrin: xx

I have a regular client that has facial waxing and a facial and shes 90. I use dermalogica on her but i know Eve Taylor have soothing and hydrating products. What i usually do is just cleanse do a massage mask and moisturise as the skins thin i tend not to exfoliate. I would suggest anything soothing thats very hydrating. With the waxing i use oritree wax as it applies super thinly. Hot wax in theory would pull of better as the skin will be thin and crepey but the heat might be to much and damange the capillaries that are close to the surface as long as you keep the skin taut i dont think you will have a problem. Go for it :smack:

Can I just ask! - would the oil not stop the wax adhering? I have been taught to remove all oils with pre-wax before waxing but this is the opposite. Would somebody explain please - Kim?!!

I was trained to always apply either baby powder or pre-wax oil before applying hard wax, and baby powder ONLY before strip wax (not oil). The oil is meant to protect the wax from adhering to the skin which helps to prevent skin from being ripped off! In saying that, you really do only need a tiny amount - putting too much on will obviously stop the wax from sticking whatsoever :)

You can use a smidgey bit of oil under hot and warm wax..as you say, it helps stop the wax sticking to skin..
Stephanie 31, hot wax is worked at a temperature that is cooler than the warm wax! The name is a bit of a misleader really..it would certainly be gentler on your lady's facial/underarms skin than the strip/warm wax (I'm assuming she wouldn't want bikini line done :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back