facial for pregnant ladies ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ticen rustem

Reaction score
i have a client booked in for friday, she is 8 months pregnant. Is it safe to a facial treatment? I am nvq level 2 qualified so i dont use any electro currant equipment.

I can't see any reason why you can't do a facial treatment on her - I assume you mean cleanse, massage, mask, tone and moisturise type of facial treatment? You will need to make sure she is comfortable though - don't make her lie completely flat so lift up the head end of the couch if you can, and put a bolster under her knees. You could pm fifitrix - she does a lot of treatments on pregnant ladies. I'm sure she'd be able to give you some advice.

thanx for advice .

I do a regular facial but as Rouge suggested make sure she is well supported and not flat. If she's flat pressure could be put on her superior vena cava which could cause her to pass out. I also don't steam because pregnant ladies body tempreatures are already high.

You could pm fifitrix - she does a lot of treatments on pregnant ladies. I'm sure she'd be able to give you some advice.

Sorry, I did mean francesXXX la fume

I do a regular facial but as Rouge suggested make sure she is well supported and not flat. If she's flat pressure could be put on her superior vena cava which could cause her to pass out. I also don't steam because pregnant ladies body tempreatures are already high.
I've had experience of this when I was expecting my eldest, it's not pleasant at all. I went for a Clarins facial and the (mature enough to know better I might add) therapist insisted I had to lie flat whilst she did the peel. I was young and not to confident so asked her only once if I could not be too flat, she refused and I passed out after a few minutes. Boy did she panic!

Well, I didn't know that! I thought it was just because it was too uncomfortable on the lower back! You learn something new every day.

I would check the ingredients of the products for those that can't be used in pregnancy examples: Lavender has been known to bring on pregancy and gycolic acid and salycilic acid can pass into throght the blood stream into the placenta, some herbs are also emmenagogs (cause blood to go to the uterus) these may however only be in large doses and if take orally but I would just google it to check.

Here is a list of some ingredients to avoid:

Safe skin care during pregnancy

As she is only one month away from giving birth I think you are pretty safe though, as said just make her comfy and don't lie her flat as she will be lying on her vena cava the large vein that takes blood to the heart from the legs, this causes blood pressure to drop (hense the fainting!). Popping a pillow under her knees may help release pressure from the lower back-she'll tell you how to make her comfy.

I also found this useful. My friend is pregnant and I am supposed to be giving her a basic facial.

Thanks guys.

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and had a body treatment and facial at a well-known spa yesterday. The therapist laid me flat and half way through I suddenly starting feeling faint and then went red hot and sweaty all over! I was all tucked up in a blanket too which was just too much. I was on the brink of passing out when I had to ask her to sit me up. She did and brought me a glass of water and turned the air con on!

So the moral of the story is, don't lie pregnant ladies flat, unless you want them passing out on you! x

Latest posts

Back