Fallen out with best friend over wedding, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleyc1983

Reaction score
Ok, so my best friend is getting married next Easter and I'm a bridesmaid. There are three of us in total. Since the year countdown has passed, things have started hotting up. The first was on a Monday in April she insisted that we had to have a bridesmaids meeting at her house that week. I'm a mobile makeup artist and beautician working 9-9 tues-sat and explained to her that I have clients, so can't just drop them, but given notice I'm happy to take a night off to be there. The meeting went ahead without me as apparently Im being difficult?! First black mark.

Second issue is the dress. She wants a dress which doesn't suit my shape at all (I'm curvy). I have not said anything at all about the dress not suiting me, as it's her day and I will just get over wearing it just for that one day. She asked me to go and try it on which i did and I put my size aside, she subsequently bought it. I am bottom heavy so bought the dress which fits me on the bottom and is slightly too big for me on top. The bottom lining skims my hips, but the top of it will need to be altered, and I told her this from the outset and that I am happy to pay the cost of that. She had no issues.

2 weeks ago we all went round for bridesmaids meeting number 2 where we all tried our dresses on. Clearly mine is too big for me on top, but fits on the bottom. She was insisting that I go back to the shop and try on a smaller size, even though it won't fit me as the bottom of this dress is fitted as it is. I left, but once home decided that there is no need to try this dress on in the smaller size. I know what fits me and what I feel comfortable in.

Well yesterday she called me screaming at my like a lunatic, stating that I'm useless, selfish and that I clearly aren't good enough to be her bridesmaid, that's it's her day and I'm ruining it. I argued back stating I know what fits me, I'm not a child and that I shouldn't feel pressured into wearing a dress that is too small for me, but one that I am comfortable in. She told em that her and the other bridesmaids had been having a conversation about my dress and they decided I needed to try the other size on?! She then started on me saying that I think I'm the only one who works and that maybe I should just have my dinner later one evening so I can drop everything for her?! I work 12 hour days as it is, never see my partner and eat most nights at 9.30!

I just don't know what she wants me to do, I have been very vocal in organising the hen do etc, things which she clearly doesn't know about. The only thing I have done is missed one meeting and stood my ground over something which I know I'm right over. She has been making comments about my size and what I eat for a while now which is also getting on my nerves. I am so angry at the way she spoke to me that I can't face calling her.

Sorry for the long rant, but not sure what to do as I don't know where I stand as to whether or not I am in her wedding party anymore, and even if I am, I'm really hurt that she has said these things to me, and made me feel this way, we have been friends for 20 years.

Hmmmm that's a difficult situation, I can't think of a solution right now, but I can see she's getting very stressed already about the wedding which is still months away, I wonder if she will get even worse as time goes on.

Arrrr babes, don't lose 20 yrs of friendship, this is no excuse at all but she seems a little stressed ... And by the time the wedding is closer bridezilla will def be around.
I would go an see her face to face ... Stay cool & calm and don't argue,
Just remember:
To her this is the most important day of her life ... To us it's just another wedding ...!!!!

Thanks ladies, it feels good just to vent to be honest. She is very stubborn and never does anything she doesn't want to do, so I know that if the boot was on the other foot she would do the same as me and stick to her guns. Makes me so angry that she wants me to feel fat and uncomfortable by wearing the smaller dress! And by the way I'm a 12-14 and have bought the size 14 dress, so it's not like the dress needs to be drastically altered x

Oh my god what is it with best friends and weddings!! I've known my (now ex) best friend for 12 years and we've also fallen out over her wedding. Not because of the dress etc but because I'm now pregnant! And she wanted me to be maid of honour and my daughter to be a flowergirl still but my unborn child wasn't invited. (Babies and Children are invited to wedding so no issue there). This upset me no end (my children have different fathers so will be separated enough throughout their life I don't need my best friend doing it too).
And now she walked past me in Tesco on the weekend and blanked me. Charming!
Sorry that's turned into a rant but just wanted to let u know your not on your own xx

All you guys are much kinder than I am. No way would I be told what to do let alone screamed at.

Hope you get it resolved. Maybe you should point out that having the dress altered will in fact take it down a dress size on the top half anyway... best of luck.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
These Bridezilla types will realise that their wedding was just one day.
I despise people who want to be the sole focus of attention. Last wedding in my family was awful in the build up. Now she laughs at it all and says she was a silly b**** to have done and said all the things she did.

I'm feeling the same way as Virtues about this. Stressed or not, her behavior towards you is unacceptable. I would meet with her alone and tell her how uncomfortable you feel about the whole situation. If she continues like she is now, i'm afraid I would opt out!

I'm feeling the same way as Virtues about this. Stressed or not, her behavior towards you is unacceptable. I would meet with her alone and tell her how uncomfortable you feel about the whole situation. If she continues like she is now, i'm afraid I would opt out!

Great advice I agree

What a shame :( I really feel for you!

I'm getting married in 2 weeks time and I have been very laid back with my bridesmaids, let then pick their dresses hair, make up shoes ect. I said to them what you have said... you need to be comfortable in what your wearing so there would be no sense I'm me picking something for them.

I can see she wants to be organised ect however she still has loads of time! My dress isn't even finished yet and I'm cool with it lol she clearly wants her day to be perfect which every bride does.

My advise would be to go speak to her over a coffee or dinner and explain to her your trying your best to fit your work around her wedding planning and that she needs to give you more notice. Explain to her there is no point in trying on the smaller dress and it won't fit.

Probs when she is calmer and on a 1 to 1 basis she will listen to you more. Hope you get all sorted and have a great day xxx

Beleza Beauty ♡

Do you value her friendship? Sometimes our friends are people we have known for years and sort of ended up friends with. I wonder how important she is to you.

If it really is a close valued friendship I might suck it up, but if you feel this girl is just someone you have known for 20 years who is a friend, it may be time to assess the relationship. I wouldn't want to walk down the aisle with someone who spoke to me like that unless I truly adored them and knew they were super stressed!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would take the dress back and tell your friend you're bowing out of being a bridesmaid. Maybe then, you can still remain friends.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much everyone, you have all made me feel so much better which is why I love this site! We have known each other since we were kids, and I guess if I was to really look closely, that's why we are friends now. I know I would never speak to anyone close to me in this way. The way I feel right now I can't bear to even look at her let alone plaster a smile on my face and walk down the aisle in front of her. I am seriously considering bowing out for my own sanity. X

Thanks ladies, it feels good just to vent to be honest. She is very stubborn and never does anything she doesn't want to do, so I know that if the boot was on the other foot she would do the same as me and stick to her guns. Makes me so angry that she wants me to feel fat and uncomfortable by wearing the smaller dress! And by the way I'm a 12-14 and have bought the size 14 dress, so it's not like the dress needs to be drastically altered x

Can't you tell her that you'll try the other dress on, in the meantime get it altered to fit, then trim the label out and say 'what do you know, the smaller size fits perfect'

It's probably more the thought of getting it done that's causing her panic. I'm sure if she saw the altered dress she wouldnt bat an eyelid

I would take the dress back and tell your friend you're bowing out of being a bridesmaid. Maybe then, you can still remain friends.

Best of luck to you!

This is the best thing you can do!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Bridezilla is only going to get worse, I would never speak to or let a 'friend' speak to me in this way. She sounds like a control freak and speaking about what you are eating??? What the hell!! I would hand the dress back to her and tell her you're not willing to be part of it anymore. If you have a genuine friendship and she is able to recognise her own faults then she may realise that she is being unreasonable.

Bridezilla Alert! Maybe have a conversation about a so called bridezilla you have encounter recently n how this individual is clearly acting up... ie her lol

Then stipulate that its JUST a dress and all eyes are on her. she sounds like hard work. poor husband to be....uh oh! xoxo

Why does she want you to wear a dress that's too small?
A normal person would buy the next size up and have it altered
She does sound like hard work and not much of a best friend really
Stick to your guns and wear the dress you feel comfortable in, if she doesn't like it, offer to back out of the wedding and just be a guest

This happened to my friend!!! The bride deliberately ordered dresses too small so the bridesmaids would have to slim into them!! Just ended up they all swapped dresses about as one girl fell pregnant (bride not happy with that)

Some people need to realise it's not about the dresses, the flowers, the party. It's about beginning the rest of your life with someone.

I'd tell her to "f up or F off" personally

Woah, Bridezilla here we come! She's overstepping the mark with how she is treating you and it will only get worse if you allow it to continue. If you feel she is still worthy of your friendship and her behaviour is being driven by her wedding day stressors, talk to her and let her know how it's making you feel. But try and do it in cold blood so you give her every opportunity of seeing how she is behaving. If she can't then regulate her behaviour, well tatty bye Bridezilla.

Latest posts

Back