Family as clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No-Name Slob

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I'm so exasperated that I joined this site just to discuss this topic. My mother and my grandmother are my most difficult clients. I don't know how they treat other hair stylists, but I don't have a single client who disrespects my salon and my business the way that they do. The problem is not with my work itself, but little details surrounding my business.

At my salon, they are only charged backbar prices, and they receive a discount on products. Because of this, there are some stipulations with how their appointments can be booked. Obviously, I'd rather take a new client than do my mom's hair, so their appointments are bumpable. They aren't allowed to buy product directly off the shelf, since we have limited inventory to sell to new clients, so my owner will order for them whatever they need at a 30% (huge) discount to them. This applies to myself and my coworkers, as well.

This seems to be a huge problem for them. They don't want to wait, they don't want their appointments moved if someone calls in. They will sit there and argue with me, offering to pay full-price, but make me feel guilty about it if I ever acquiesce to that request.

On top of that, they will come in with their baggage they're holding and want to take it out on me. I don't mean vent or air out their bad day ... I mean, literally get mad at me for something entirely small and different and completely deflect whatever they're upset over onto me. It makes it extremely awkward around my coworkers, who can tell that something is wrong.

I'm so DONE doing their hair. Has anyone been in this situation? How do you fire your family? Lol.

Ive not had quite the same as my mum knows how busy i am and she actually goes else where as i have paying clients that come first. My issue is with friends... They expect a discount which i do do but then they mess with appointments, cancelling them last minute, demanding i change my plans for a night off to do there stuff or wanting appointments stupidly late at night. They seem to think cos i work from home and mobile i can work whenever is good for them and that i dont have other clients and life outside of work. Grr it really winds me up.

I have same sort of problem with friends. I don't mind giving them discount ect but they know how busy I am and I have kids and other stuff so if they ask me to do their hair ect on a Saturday in 2 days time and it means me rushing about ect, I just say 'sorry I can't do it' I used to feel bad but I don't want my business to become something that wears me down and I don't enjoy.
Got to think about yourself Hun x

How about opening the salon on a Sunday once every 6 weeks or so, to do their hair?

And if they aren't keen to wait and get the discount they can pay full price and take off the shelf.

Maybe charge them a bad attitude tax? The worse their attitude. The more you charge. Start at back at prices up to full price.

Just charge them full price for the services and products and if they start kicking off at u for random stuff, quietly point out to them (as you would to a small child being a pain in the arse in public) that they are in your place of business and if they continue to disrespect you they will be asked to leave just like everyone else would. :)

Latest posts

Back