Fantastic Opportunity but Very scared...Need you opinions Please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexandra1984

Reaction score
HI Girls,

Wondering if you could give me some of your sound advice, Here’s the Offer..

I work in an office full time.. I want to get out of it desperately.. Anyway I have been offered to rent a room in a lifestyle centre at £60.00 a week or £12.00 a day
The price includes this

The use of the room all day from 09am to 09pm. Monday to Friday and Saturdays and Sundays to come and go as I please as I will be given my own keys and code to the alarm.
The rent includes use of the telephone and internet in your room as there are ports for this and the price also includes gas , electric, water etc,
There is a manned receptionist in working hours so they would see my client for me to my room
They will decorate the room as I wish and provide the furniture that they already have and put a blind up etc if I would like one.
They will advertise heavily and promote me through their centre and on their website (it is also across from a school which is crowded with mums) The centre offers holistic therapies and a hairdressers also which I have been told I will maybe get referrals from this
They have told me they will welcome a nail technician as they have never had one before and get asked about it alot,
I will get 20% discount off food from their restaurant and half price drinks.

That to me is a fab offer

Here’s the problem. I won’t have a client base to take with me of my own as I have only been mobile for a few months and I worry will I be able to still comfortably be able to bring a wage home,. ? I m thinking of taking the room over 20 hours a week and working the other 20 hours as a receptionist part time in an office etc so I can still guarantee a wage to be able top pay half the mortgage and half the bills every month whilst I’m getting a big enough client base up until I can phase it out and take the room on full time.. I’m a hard seller and no that advertising etc wont be a problem for me as I am a hard worker and will put all my effort into flyer drops, Websites, Promotion etc.. but I realise that obviously that doesn’t magically guarantee you a client base. I don’t have a clue about Tax , NI etc and I worry about when my child minder is on holiday etc how do I pay myself a wage when I cant work because I ill have to look after my son, then there’s bank holidays? I’m willing to out all I have got into this as I’m so passionate about it and its what I want, but I’m scared.. To me it all looks good down on paper but what do you lot think?

Thanks for reading…

Alex :Scared:​

I think it sounds like a great opportunity and that if you don't try it, you might regret it.

Granted, you need an income. So, as you said, you could work part-time as a receptionist. However, if they are going to promote you and you are going to work hard at this aspect, then it may not be long before you are earning a liveable wage.

Woo hoo that's just what u needed to hear!! Thank you so much x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek x

You're very welcome. I hope you get other opinions though, so you have other views to consider.

However, if you go for it, I know it will be hard work, but brilliant. Good luck.

I hope so too, it's always nice to get a good mix of opinions. And thank you, got to convince my partner yet, that will be the hardest thing x

I think it's a great idea, the price is very good and the interest is already there.
NI etc is the easy part. Go to the horses mouth now, you can ring your local tax office and ask to have an appointment with a tax advisor, it's free and ours (Northampton) are happy to do this because they prefer you to get it right, less work for them lol.
All the info is on the self assesment web site, so you should have a good read through first and then you will have a better idea of the right questions to ask.
Good luck hun, it's going to be an exciting time for you:hug:

Ah susie thank you x

This sounds like a really exciting proposition to me - one question, how long to you have to sign up for your room ie, it is on a short term let or on a month on month basis, it sounds like they really want someone in the room (which is great for you) especially if you can negotiate that there is no set term which you have to agree to and only need to give the minimum notice if you wish to leave - you may just find yourselve with masses of new customers because of the location etc & IF and only a very small if, it does all get too much with regards to childcare etc you can pick and choose who to fit into your mobile day - give yourself 6 months, I bet you don't look back once and wonder what you were worried about!!!

Go for it and good luck

Vicki:biggrin:

Ah thank you for your inspiration all of you.. Im not sure of the term as yet, i am going to view the room tomorrow. The lady said that basically in a nutshell that most things i would ask for they would negotiate with me, I was thinking of asking if she would consider me having the first month or six weeks free to enable to give myself chance to get a vclient base built up first? Do you think this is too cheeky? x

Ah thank you for your inspiration all of you.. Im not sure of the term as yet, i am going to view the room tomorrow. The lady said that basically in a nutshell that most things i would ask for they would negotiate with me, I was thinking of asking if she would consider me having the first month or six weeks free to enable to give myself chance to get a vclient base built up first? Do you think this is too cheeky? x
No, I think you should try and negotiate with them. They sound like reasonable people and hopefully they'll turn out to be lovely people to work with.

HI Girls,

Wondering if you could give me some of your sound advice, Here’s the Offer..

I work in an office full time.. I want to get out of it desperately.. Anyway I have been offered to rent a room in a lifestyle centre at £60.00 a week or £12.00 a day
The price includes this

The use of the room all day from 09am to 09pm. Monday to Friday and Saturdays and Sundays to come and go as I please as I will be given my own keys and code to the alarm.
The rent includes use of the telephone and internet in your room as there are ports for this and the price also includes gas , electric, water etc,
There is a manned receptionist in working hours so they would see my client for me to my room
They will decorate the room as I wish and provide the furniture that they already have and put a blind up etc if I would like one.
They will advertise heavily and promote me through their centre and on their website (it is also across from a school which is crowded with mums) The centre offers holistic therapies and a hairdressers also which I have been told I will maybe get referrals from this
They have told me they will welcome a nail technician as they have never had one before and get asked about it alot,
I will get 20% discount off food from their restaurant and half price drinks.

That to me is a fab offer

Here’s the problem. I won’t have a client base to take with me of my own as I have only been mobile for a few months and I worry will I be able to still comfortably be able to bring a wage home,. ? I m thinking of taking the room over 20 hours a week and working the other 20 hours as a receptionist part time in an office etc so I can still guarantee a wage to be able top pay half the mortgage and half the bills every month whilst I’m getting a big enough client base up until I can phase it out and take the room on full time.. I’m a hard seller and no that advertising etc wont be a problem for me as I am a hard worker and will put all my effort into flyer drops, Websites, Promotion etc.. but I realise that obviously that doesn’t magically guarantee you a client base. I don’t have a clue about Tax , NI etc and I worry about when my child minder is on holiday etc how do I pay myself a wage when I cant work because I ill have to look after my son, then there’s bank holidays? I’m willing to out all I have got into this as I’m so passionate about it and its what I want, but I’m scared.. To me it all looks good down on paper but what do you lot think?

Thanks for reading…

Alex :Scared:​

No one got anything in life without just 'doing it' and 'going for it' if you want it badly enough... NI/Tax van be learned but better still put in the hands of a reputable accountant. If you want this - then take the bull by the horns and do it... start thinking now how you are going to entice people through your door - I have already thought of the perfect way... but let's see if you can come up with it too! :cool::hug:

Sounds fab and if you want it badly enough it WILL work for . School across road is even better as there's plenty of mums maybe even dads that could be potential clients so I say go for it don't Live life by what ifs . Good luck with whatever you decide x

Your so right girls and i am definatley a go getter!1 although i realise it doesnt sound like it at the moment, Im trying to convince my partner at the moment of why it is such a fantastic opportunity.. but he is concerned of the fact that we have a big mortgage and child to support... i see his point but i also see mine in capital letters and flashing lights!! i have the guts to act on things, I know that there is never really a "right time" The problem is i cant really do much about it until i have found myself a 20 hr a week job to go with it.(this will garuntee an inncome to pay mortgage , bills etc) and is the only way that my boyfriend is willing to support me with this. Sam: If i gave a months notice at my current job then i would make sure that in this time i had a diary..I would heavily promote my "new salon/room/business" as new to the area, offering introductory prices, treatments, discounts etc.. and i would want to have a full months diary already booked up for when i started in my new place...oooh it makes me feel all warm when i say it.. ha ha.. It feels like ive come quite far from when i was first posting on here!! Is this similar to what you may have been thinking Sam? xx:smack:

Go for it I have 2 jobs first job then beauty 2nd, wish I had an oppo like that as sometimes I think I am just playing at beauty as first job pays the bills but then I dont think you focus if beauty was my only job would have to promote much harder x

yes your right.. unfortunatley i have to have the 2nd job to begin with though, but you watch this space.. it wont be long until i phase it out and dont need it anymore, bricking it!! but excited...I just hope my partner provides the emotional support that i need .xx
:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

No one got anything in life without just 'doing it' and 'going for it' if you want it badly enough... NI/Tax van be learned but better still put in the hands of a reputable accountant. If you want this - then take the bull by the horns and do it... start thinking now how you are going to entice people through your door - I have already thought of the perfect way... but let's see if you can come up with it too! :cool::hug:

The best way to advertise what you are doing, is by having people WEAR what you do, LOVE what you do and SHOWCASE it for you. iT'S easy!! You said this was a Lifestyle Centre - restaurants etc... well I am not sure what you are planning to use, but if it were me (and I would be using Shellac and Minx :wink2:)... I would be Minxing all those girls who are SERVING customers for FREE... yes you heard... FOC!

For every client they pass your way due to their nails being commented upon - will be worth your weight in gold... THAT'S how you get customers through the door... it might cost you a little to begin with, but you are INVESTING. You simply tell the girls who are the MOST customer facing, that you will Minx / Shellac them for FREE but in order to have that priveledge, they must send customers through to you when they comment on the nails you have done; have the customer mention who it was that sent them through... it will get you started brilliantly!

Good nails and happy clients SELL what you do - in all the years I saw my mum do nails she never advertised or did leaflets - it was ALL word of mouth because she was the best at what she did - that's what you need to create, a buzz - and have all customer facing girls talking about you - it will work - BELIEVE ME!:biggrin:

One other important thing to remember - When you GIVE... you GET!!!!

Sounds like a great opportunity and one that you really should consider as at that price, it sounds like a gift.

Like anything, you need excellent training and you need to be brilliant at what you do. I don't have enough hours in the day for my clients and students and I have never ever advertised in my life. Unfortunately, my expertise (Intimate Waxing) isn't so easy for people to walk around and show off. :biggrin: However, with nails…………..Jeez, it's like a license to print money and your clients do the advertising themselves.

Last year, I had two young women come to me as they wanted train with me in waxing. They had no beauty experience and both wanted to start a business in something they could make real money in. They were so lovely and me being me, I said 'You know what! As much as I'd love to take your money off of you, I don't think that waxing is for you. Have you thought about training in Minx and Shellac? They both looked blank and said 'What's that?' They knew nothing about nails. So I explained all about it and told them to contact Sweet Squared………... and the rest is history.

Let me tell you………….these two are taking Essex by storm with their Minx and Shellac and are busy busy busy. I'm thrilled for them.

I can't think of their geek name but I'll go onto my Facebook and ask her to come on here to inspire you. I love seeing people achieve.

Good luck and take a chance. xx

Last year, I had two young women come to me as they wanted train with me in waxing. They had no beauty experience and both wanted to start a business in something they could make real money in. They were so lovely and me being me, I said 'You know what! As much as I'd love to take your money off of you, I don't think that waxing is for you. Have you thought about training in Minx and Shellac? They both looked blank and said 'What's that?' They knew nothing about nails. So I explained all about it and told them to contact Sweet Squared………... and the rest is history.

Let me tell you………….these two are taking Essex by storm with their Minx and Shellac and are busy busy busy. I'm thrilled for them.

I can't think of their geek name but I'll go onto my Facebook and ask her to come on here to inspire you. I love seeing people achieve.

Good luck and take a chance. xx
thank you darling - did I miss you at the show? Would have been so lovely to see you xoxo:Love:

Latest posts

Back